|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Woland playing?
2. What object troubles Frida?
3. Who is prevented from taking Berlioz’s flat?
4. Where do Koroviev and Behemoth go after the shop?
5. Whom does Pontius Pilate inquire after?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matthew say about the Master?
2. Name two of three literary works named in Chapter 28.
3. What is the barman’s reaction to Apt. 50?
4. What does the Master do for Pontius Pilate?
5. What does Margarita do with ink and a hammer in Chapter 21?
6. What is the apartment like after the ball?
7. Whom does Poplosky come looking for, and whom does he find?
8. How does Arthanius perform his job?
9. What is the Baron’s experience used as?
10. What happens when the whistle blows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters of different kinds take refuge in religion in The Master and Margarita, to various ends. When is religion helpful to characters, and when does it lead them into mischief? Provide three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Woland, though the character around whom many of the actions center, is mysterious and hard to understand. What do we learn about his character? How do we learn it? How does this support or differ traditional depictions of the devil?
Essay Topic 3
Almost every character (beyond Woland and his group) is extremely confused at one point or another in the novel. Describe the use of chaos, mass chaos, and its effect on the individual as depicted in The Master and Margarita.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)