|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Margarita hoping for in Chapter 19?
2. What does Matthew accept from Pilate?
3. Who does Margarita meet in the street?
4. What were Woland’s crew’s last actions in Moscow?
5. What does Margarita first request?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Apt. 50 expand?
2. In what way does Margarita compare herself to Matthew the Levit?
3. Who is the tax-gatherer that Woland addresses?
4. Whom does Poplosky come looking for, and whom does he find?
5. How does Azazello greet the pair?
6. What are the alternate names for Satan’s ball?
7. Why is Niza important?
8. How does Arthanius perform his job?
9. How does the Master feel in Chapter 31?
10. What happens when the whistle blows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Different forms of love are shown in the novel, not simply the relationship between the Master and Margarita. Who else might be said to be in love, or to love someone else? In what sense?
Essay Topic 2
Woland is referred to as Satan at several points in the novel. However, he also performs some good deeds, notably for Margarita and the Master. With this as a starting point, discuss good and evil and the boundaries of these concepts in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
One seemingly absurd transformation is that of Natasha and her pig. What is the significance of this transformation? How does it relate to the other characters? Is it actually absurd, in a final analysis?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)