|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Margarita go after the river?
2. Where does the accountant go first?
3. What happens to the money Woland has given to people?
4. What is Behemoth’s true form?
5. What does the cat take at the first store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margarita not cry as usual upon waking?
2. How does Azazello greet the pair?
3. How does the Master feel in Chapter 31?
4. Whom does Poplosky come looking for, and whom does he find?
5. What changes about Behemoth in approaching the first store?
6. What happened to Baron Maigel, from the outside?
7. Why is the dog still with Pilate?
8. What does the cat want to do?
9. Who is the pig?
10. What is the barman’s reaction to Apt. 50?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A “story-within-a-story” is not a new concept; however, in The Master and Margarita, the story is not only the Master’s novel, but also a partially true story, told through other characters’ dreams, and so on. What are the various sources that tell the story of Pontius Pilate? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
Though The Master and Margarita examines profound themes, it is also a very funny book. Describe the use of humor in the novel and what it adds to the narrative and the characters’ development.
Essay Topic 3
The theater is an important locale in the novel. What aspects of the novel itself are particularly performative? How is this mirrored in the events of the narrative?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)