|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pilate have in common with the visitor?
2. What is Judas’s profession?
3. How old is Judas?
4. What do Woland’s gang want him to shoot?
5. What do the police believe explains the strange events?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the whistle blows?
2. What changes about Behemoth in approaching the first store?
3. What happens first at the bank that surprises the accountant?
4. How does Pilate feel about Yeshua’s death?
5. Name two of three literary works named in Chapter 28.
6. What happened to Baron Maigel, from the outside?
7. What does the cat want to do?
8. What did the neighbors hear during the ball?
9. Why is the dog still with Pilate?
10. What is strange about the suit in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theater is an important locale in the novel. What aspects of the novel itself are particularly performative? How is this mirrored in the events of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Towards the end of the book, Woland’s cronies transform into their original shapes. What are these shapes? How are they significant? How do they inform our understanding of the characters’ behavior in their modified forms earlier in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Several major characters end up in the asylum in the novel. What is the importance of the asylum? How is it characterized? How does this inform our understanding of Moscow, as per Essay 17?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)