|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the stranger claim to have breakfasted with?
2. How does Berlioz die?
3. Who is in the audience in Nikanor Ivanovich’s dream?
4. What happens to Bengalsky?
5. What is Bezdomny wearing when he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bosoi’s wife’s exclamation unfortunate?
2. How does Ivan feel towards the doctor?
3. Why does Dismas suffer more than the other prisoners?
4. How does Bosoi react to seeing the dollars?
5. What happens to Matthew and Yeshua at the end of the chapter?
6. Why won’t the Master let the woman know where he is?
7. Why do they get the phone call not to send the telegram?
8. What do the members think of Bezdomny?
9. What does Woland really want to know?
10. What happened to the master’s novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pontius Pilate is shown in a new light in The Master and Margarita, especially concerning his guilt. Explore Pilate’s guilt as an emotion and as a shaping force in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Woland is surrounded by his three comrades. Each character represents a different aspect of his own personality; what are these? How do the characteristics manifest in the events of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Woland declares himself a performer of black magic at one point. What magic is particularly dark that he performs? Is there magic that seems less dark, or even perhaps positive?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)