|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem with Ponirov’s poem?
2. Where is the Master’s novel now?
3. What happens to Bengalsky?
4. What is confusing about Berlioz’s name?
5. Who accompanies the prisoners up the hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the discontent surrounding Klyazma?
2. How does Bosoi react to seeing the dollars?
3. What does Woland really want to know?
4. What happens to Matthew and Yeshua at the end of the chapter?
5. How does Rimsky feel when he thinks Stepa has just been drunk?
6. What is the meaning of the Chapter 6's title?
7. Why does Dismas suffer more than the other prisoners?
8. Why doesn’t Ivan leave the hospital?
9. How does Yeshua feel about the man who is following him?
10. What do the members think of Bezdomny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Towards the end of the book, Woland’s cronies transform into their original shapes. What are these shapes? How are they significant? How do they inform our understanding of the characters’ behavior in their modified forms earlier in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Pontius Pilate is shown in a new light in The Master and Margarita, especially concerning his guilt. Explore Pilate’s guilt as an emotion and as a shaping force in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Woland is referred to as Satan at several points in the novel. However, he also performs some good deeds, notably for Margarita and the Master. With this as a starting point, discuss good and evil and the boundaries of these concepts in the novel.
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)