|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor claim Ivan doesn’t have to do?
2. Where does Rimsky think he really must be?
3. Where is the Master’s novel now?
4. What are the theater men warned about the telegrams?
5. What is the last trick of the show?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the doctor’s logic for “normality”?
2. Why do they get the phone call not to send the telegram?
3. What happens to Matthew and Yeshua at the end of the chapter?
4. What elements of the story does Borsoi’s dream combine?
5. How does Bosoi react to seeing the dollars?
6. What does Woland really want to know?
7. What is the significance of Pushkin?
8. Why does Bezdomny go to the apartment building?
9. What does Berlioz think about the stranger?
10. Why doesn’t Ivan leave the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Master and Margarita features many characters who are writers by profession. Who are they? What do they write? Is there a hierarchy among them? Describe the importance of this profession within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters transform throughout the book, in big and small ways. Margarita turns into a witch, several characters die, are brought to life, turn into pigs, etc. What is the significance of these transformations? Pick one and explain how the character changes externally and internally.
Essay Topic 3
Woland declares himself a performer of black magic at one point. What magic is particularly dark that he performs? Is there magic that seems less dark, or even perhaps positive?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)