|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rimsky go?
2. How does Ivan write his story?
3. What is the problem with Ponirov’s poem?
4. What saves Rimsky?
5. Why is the woman carrying flowers in the Master’s story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rimsky feel when he thinks Stepa has just been drunk?
2. Who are the two Ivans?
3. Why is it hard to believe that Likhodeyev is in Yalta?
4. What is the meaning of the Chapter 6's title?
5. Why does Dismas suffer more than the other prisoners?
6. What is the significance of Pushkin?
7. Why does Bezdomny go to the apartment building?
8. What happened to the master’s novel?
9. What happens to Matthew and Yeshua at the end of the chapter?
10. Why is Bosoi’s wife’s exclamation unfortunate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters transform throughout the book, in big and small ways. Margarita turns into a witch, several characters die, are brought to life, turn into pigs, etc. What is the significance of these transformations? Pick one and explain how the character changes externally and internally.
Essay Topic 2
Moscow almost acts as a character in the book itself. In what ways might this be true? How is the city important, and how does it aid and/or hinder the protagonists throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Towards the end of the book, Woland’s cronies transform into their original shapes. What are these shapes? How are they significant? How do they inform our understanding of the characters’ behavior in their modified forms earlier in the book?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)