|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Ivan?
2. Where does the stranger say he will be staying?
3. What is Griboyedov?
4. Whom in Berlioz’s family does the stranger know about?
5. What is so strange about Varnuha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dismas suffer more than the other prisoners?
2. How does Yeshua feel about the man who is following him?
3. What is the doctor’s logic for “normality”?
4. Why is Bosoi’s wife’s exclamation unfortunate?
5. Who are the two Ivans?
6. What happens to Matthew and Yeshua at the end of the chapter?
7. Why won’t the Master let the woman know where he is?
8. What is the meaning of the Chapter 6's title?
9. How does Rimsky feel when he thinks Stepa has just been drunk?
10. What does Berlioz think about the stranger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Master works constantly on his book, which he later burns. Describe the history of the Master’s manuscript, as well as what happens to it at the end of the book. Why is its existence – and survival – important?
Essay Topic 2
A “story-within-a-story” is not a new concept; however, in The Master and Margarita, the story is not only the Master’s novel, but also a partially true story, told through other characters’ dreams, and so on. What are the various sources that tell the story of Pontius Pilate? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
The theater is an important locale in the novel. What aspects of the novel itself are particularly performative? How is this mirrored in the events of the narrative?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)