|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen believe are basically the same thing?
2. Which of the following is the best synonym for the word tome?
3. Which of the words would Jack use to describe the types of currents wafting through his crew and officers?
4. What does Jack insist upon doing while the Dedaigneuse approaches?
5. To whom does Jack write to tell of the capture of the Cacafuego?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack do when the maintopgallantmast and foretosale fall and why?
2. What does Stephen disagree with Dillon about in relation to the decision of Jack to continue to search for prize money?
3. Despite his lack of knowledge about surgery, at what does Stephen excel?
4. What does Stephen tell Jack he must do in order to recover from the disease he got from Molly?
5. For Stephen, what takes precedence over the spiritual emptiness of a life in the Navy?
6. Why was the ship down to just a quarter ration for water when they arrived in Minorca?
7. Why will the dinner at Captain Harte's be awkward for Stephen?
8. What do Stephen and James discuss after dinner and why does Stephen find it pleasurable?
9. Why does Admiral Keith tell Jack that he will probably never rise to pos-captain?
10. What does Stephen believe is the cause of Tom Simmons' death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the character of Jack uses an internal dialogue to express feelings. Do you believe the author develops this well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the antics of Stephen and the French Doctor Ramis. Do you believe this was an important relationship in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe examples of irony throughout the novel. How does Fate intervene at the height of Jack's success? Why is this considered an ironic event?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)