|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jack go to see Mercedes?
2. Which ship races for and arrives at shore?
3. What will Ramis and Stephen be curiously examining?
4. How many men does Stephen report to be killed?
5. What overtakes Jack's sadness at the loss of Dillon and Ellis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Stephen and James discuss after dinner and why does Stephen find it pleasurable?
2. What does Jack do when the maintopgallantmast and foretosale fall and why?
3. For Stephen, what takes precedence over the spiritual emptiness of a life in the Navy?
4. What does Stephen tell Jack he must do in order to recover from the disease he got from Molly?
5. Despite his lack of knowledge about surgery, at what does Stephen excel?
6. What changed about the way Molly was treated throughout the novel?
7. What does Mr. Ellis talk disparagingly about and of what importance is this within the novel?
8. Why will the dinner at Captain Harte's be awkward for Stephen?
9. What does Stephen disagree with Dillon about in relation to the decision of Jack to continue to search for prize money?
10. What does Stephen see when he bends under the table to retrieve his napkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is often described as one of the greatest buddy teams in novels. Do you agree with this description? Why or why not? Why do you think it is referred to in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jack as a youth as described by Lord Keith. Would he have made a good friend to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the character of Jack uses an internal dialogue to express feelings. Do you believe the author develops this well? Why or why not?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)