|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters has fled Mahon?
2. Which of the following characters has asked for a transfer?
3. For what are sailors typically punished on the Sophie?
4. What does Stephen keep to help him deal with his feeling of being alone?
5. Who takes over the prisoners and is given the possession of the prize tartan ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack realize he must give up after he talks with Admiral Saumarex?
2. What does Stephen disagree with Dillon about in relation to the decision of Jack to continue to search for prize money?
3. Why will the dinner at Captain Harte's be awkward for Stephen?
4. What does Mr. Ellis talk disparagingly about and of what importance is this within the novel?
5. What does Stephen warn Jack about in regards to his relationship with Molly?
6. What do Stephen and James discuss after dinner and why does Stephen find it pleasurable?
7. What does Stephen believe is the cause of Tom Simmons' death?
8. What is Molly to Jack and of what importance is this to the novel?
9. What does Jack do when the maintopgallantmast and foretosale fall and why?
10. Why is Captain Neal stern with Jack when Jack shows up to discuss his orders with dirt and powder all over his clothes and face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the character of Dillon is resentful? Do you believe his reasons are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in what ways Jack undermines his own ability to be a successful captain. Do you believe he could have acted differently to ensure a pro-captain promotion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how fate intervenes for various characters throughout the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the novel to support your descriptions. Do you believe in fate? Why or why not?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)