|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who starts to follow Jack's ship?
2. How many men does Stephen report to be killed?
3. What dragged Stephen down five fathoms when he was in the water?
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the word illicit in the following sentence: The ship had an illicit cargo of quicksilver.
5. How does Jack feel about Mr. and Mrs. Ellis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changed about the way Molly was treated throughout the novel?
2. What does Stephen see when he bends under the table to retrieve his napkin?
3. What might happen to Stephen should the Sophie leave immediately?
4. Why was the ship down to just a quarter ration for water when they arrived in Minorca?
5. What is Molly to Jack and of what importance is this to the novel?
6. What happens during the battle between the Sophie and the Cacafuego?
7. What does Jack do when the maintopgallantmast and foretosale fall and why?
8. What does Stephen warn Jack about in regards to his relationship with Molly?
9. Despite his lack of knowledge about surgery, at what does Stephen excel?
10. What does Stephen tell Jack he must do in order to recover from the disease he got from Molly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the character of Jack uses an internal dialogue to express feelings. Do you believe the author develops this well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe why a doctor such as Stephen would be in poverty. Do you believe Stephen, who seems well educated, should be in poverty as he is? Do you think Jack is phased by Stephen's poverty?
Essay Topic 3
Make a comparison of this novel and the film. What parts are similar? What parts are significantly different? Why are there differences?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)