|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who preferred to be far away from the bad-smelling and noisy experience of exercising the guns?
2. How many men does Stephen report to be killed?
3. Which of the words would Jack use to describe the types of currents wafting through his crew and officers?
4. What is Stephen summoned to the quarterdeck to view with Jack?
5. Which of the following was Stephen unable to see on the voyage when the Sophie was near Greece and Egypt?
Short Essay Questions
1. For Stephen, what takes precedence over the spiritual emptiness of a life in the Navy?
2. What proves to Jack and the crew the ship with the blue ensign is from England?
3. What does Jack say to help relieve Stephen's concerns about the court-martial?
4. What does Stephen see when he bends under the table to retrieve his napkin?
5. What does Stephen disagree with Dillon about in relation to the decision of Jack to continue to search for prize money?
6. What does Stephen believe is the cause of Tom Simmons' death?
7. What does Jack do when the maintopgallantmast and foretosale fall and why?
8. What is the decision at the court-martial in regards to Jack and his crew?
9. What does Jack realize he must give up after he talks with Admiral Saumarex?
10. What is Molly to Jack and of what importance is this to the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing whether or not you agree that this novel is a brilliant study of character. Why do you believe this is or is not the case? Use information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how fate intervenes for various characters throughout the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the novel to support your descriptions. Do you believe in fate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe examples of irony throughout the novel. How does Fate intervene at the height of Jack's success? Why is this considered an ironic event?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)