|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who preferred to be far away from the bad-smelling and noisy experience of exercising the guns?
2. What did the gun crew hope to hit?
3. Which of the following is a ruse de guerre?
4. How does Jack feel about Mr. and Mrs. Ellis?
5. What happens to Stephen when Dillon is speaking with Stephen in the jolly-boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephen warn Jack about in regards to his relationship with Molly?
2. What does Jack say to help relieve Stephen's concerns about the court-martial?
3. Why will the dinner at Captain Harte's be awkward for Stephen?
4. What is the decision at the court-martial in regards to Jack and his crew?
5. For Stephen, what takes precedence over the spiritual emptiness of a life in the Navy?
6. What does Stephen believe is the cause of Tom Simmons' death?
7. What happens during the battle between the Sophie and the Cacafuego?
8. What is Molly to Jack and of what importance is this to the novel?
9. What does Stephen disagree with Dillon about in relation to the decision of Jack to continue to search for prize money?
10. Why does Admiral Keith tell Jack that he will probably never rise to pos-captain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jack's fate throughout the novel. What does he covet? Do you think Jack deserves what happens to him throughout the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the antics of Stephen and the French Doctor Ramis. Do you believe this was an important relationship in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
This novel is often described as one of the greatest buddy teams in novels. Do you agree with this description? Why or why not? Why do you think it is referred to in this way?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)