|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about most of the seamen aboard the Sophie?
2. What must Jack do in order to recover from his serious illness?
3. Which of the following is the best synonym for the word tome?
4. What does Jack tell all of the Midshipmen to do?
5. Which of the following best describes what a snow is as used in the following sentence: The Sophie is disguised as a snow with the object of creating another ruse.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephen believe is the cause of Tom Simmons' death?
2. What does Stephen warn Jack about in regards to his relationship with Molly?
3. What does Jack realize he must give up after he talks with Admiral Saumarex?
4. What does Stephen tell Jack he must do in order to recover from the disease he got from Molly?
5. What proves to Jack and the crew the ship with the blue ensign is from England?
6. Why does Jack go back to the Crown and what does he do while he is there?
7. When they are playing, what does Jack confide in Stephen?
8. What happens during the battle between the Sophie and the Cacafuego?
9. Why was the ship down to just a quarter ration for water when they arrived in Minorca?
10. What does Stephen disagree with Dillon about in relation to the decision of Jack to continue to search for prize money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the character of Dillon is resentful? Do you believe his reasons are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the character of Jack uses an internal dialogue to express feelings. Do you believe the author develops this well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of the relationship between Molly and Jack. How does it change throughout the novel? Why do you believe the author includes this relationship?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)