|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has caused negative reactions in the quarters?
2. Why does the Sophie head to Cape Salou?
3. What is Stephen concerned that Jack may have done with the prisoners?
4. What has Jack picked up from Molly?
5. What order does Captain Neal give to Stephen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the ship down to just a quarter ration for water when they arrived in Minorca?
2. What changed about the way Molly was treated throughout the novel?
3. What does Stephen believe is the cause of Tom Simmons' death?
4. What does Stephen see when he bends under the table to retrieve his napkin?
5. Why does Admiral Keith tell Jack that he will probably never rise to pos-captain?
6. Despite his lack of knowledge about surgery, at what does Stephen excel?
7. For Stephen, what takes precedence over the spiritual emptiness of a life in the Navy?
8. What is the decision at the court-martial in regards to Jack and his crew?
9. What does Stephen disagree with Dillon about in relation to the decision of Jack to continue to search for prize money?
10. When they are playing, what does Jack confide in Stephen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the character of Dillon is resentful? Do you believe his reasons are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jack as a youth as described by Lord Keith. Would he have made a good friend to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the statement that Jack is a character with some ignorance and prejudice, but also has a willingness to grow. Support your evaluation with information from the text. Would anyone reading the text agree with your supposition?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)