|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen tell Jack is being sent?
2. What will Ramis and Stephen be curiously examining?
3. Which of the following best describes what a snow is as used in the following sentence: The Sophie is disguised as a snow with the object of creating another ruse.
4. Who were there bad feelings between during the voyage?
5. Which of the following was Stephen unable to see on the voyage when the Sophie was near Greece and Egypt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the battle between the Sophie and the Cacafuego?
2. What is Molly to Jack and of what importance is this to the novel?
3. Why does Jack go back to the Crown and what does he do while he is there?
4. Why was the ship down to just a quarter ration for water when they arrived in Minorca?
5. What does Stephen disagree with Dillon about in relation to the decision of Jack to continue to search for prize money?
6. What does Jack do when the maintopgallantmast and foretosale fall and why?
7. What do Stephen and James discuss after dinner and why does Stephen find it pleasurable?
8. What does Jack say to help relieve Stephen's concerns about the court-martial?
9. What does Mr. Ellis talk disparagingly about and of what importance is this within the novel?
10. What does Stephen warn Jack about in regards to his relationship with Molly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in what ways Jack undermines his own ability to be a successful captain. Do you believe he could have acted differently to ensure a pro-captain promotion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what way might the accidents and difficulties aboard the ship be a reflection of Jack as a captain? Do you believe they should be a reflection of Jack's ability to be a captain? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
This novel is often described as one of the greatest buddy teams in novels. Do you agree with this description? Why or why not? Why do you think it is referred to in this way?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)