|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Jack picked up from Molly?
2. What do the men blow up?
3. What does the French doctor typically eat for breakfast?
4. Which of the following does Dillon believe to be Jack's biggest weakness?
5. What does Jack tell all of the Midshipmen to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Stephen and James discuss after dinner and why does Stephen find it pleasurable?
2. What does Stephen warn Jack about in regards to his relationship with Molly?
3. What does Mr. Ellis talk disparagingly about and of what importance is this within the novel?
4. What does Jack say to help relieve Stephen's concerns about the court-martial?
5. What does Stephen disagree with Dillon about in relation to the decision of Jack to continue to search for prize money?
6. Despite his lack of knowledge about surgery, at what does Stephen excel?
7. Why does Jack go back to the Crown and what does he do while he is there?
8. What does Stephen tell Jack he must do in order to recover from the disease he got from Molly?
9. What does Jack do when the maintopgallantmast and foretosale fall and why?
10. What does Stephen believe is the cause of Tom Simmons' death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how fate intervenes for various characters throughout the novel. Be sure to include specific examples from the novel to support your descriptions. Do you believe in fate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How was Jack's glory described throughout the novel? Was his glory justified? Do you believe Jack was justified in his constant search for prizes? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the antics of Stephen and the French Doctor Ramis. Do you believe this was an important relationship in the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)