|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a ruse de guerre?
2. What does Stephen believe the petulance between Dillon and Jack will lead to?
3. Which of the following was the name of the character which was one of Stephen's patients who died in Chapter 10?
4. What does Stephen believe are basically the same thing?
5. What type of mission does Captain Harte tell Jack they will be going on next?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite his lack of knowledge about surgery, at what does Stephen excel?
2. What happens during the battle between the Sophie and the Cacafuego?
3. What is Molly to Jack and of what importance is this to the novel?
4. Why was the ship down to just a quarter ration for water when they arrived in Minorca?
5. Why will the dinner at Captain Harte's be awkward for Stephen?
6. What do Stephen and James discuss after dinner and why does Stephen find it pleasurable?
7. What might happen to Stephen should the Sophie leave immediately?
8. What does Stephen see when he bends under the table to retrieve his napkin?
9. What does Stephen warn Jack about in regards to his relationship with Molly?
10. When they are playing, what does Jack confide in Stephen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in what ways Jack undermines his own ability to be a successful captain. Do you believe he could have acted differently to ensure a pro-captain promotion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Stephen rationalize the things he sees while aboard the Sophie? Do you think this is a valid method? Do you think he should have taken different actions? If so what actions should he have taken?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing whether or not you agree that this novel is a brilliant study of character. Why do you believe this is or is not the case? Use information from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)