|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does Stephen report to be killed?
2. Which of the following was Stephen unable to see on the voyage when the Sophie was near Greece and Egypt?
3. What is Stephen summoned to the quarterdeck to view with Jack?
4. Who warns Jack about a possible attempt to provoke Jack's insubordination?
5. What must Jack do in order to recover from his serious illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the decision at the court-martial in regards to Jack and his crew?
2. Despite his lack of knowledge about surgery, at what does Stephen excel?
3. What do Stephen and James discuss after dinner and why does Stephen find it pleasurable?
4. What is Molly to Jack and of what importance is this to the novel?
5. What does Jack say to help relieve Stephen's concerns about the court-martial?
6. What proves to Jack and the crew the ship with the blue ensign is from England?
7. What changed about the way Molly was treated throughout the novel?
8. For Stephen, what takes precedence over the spiritual emptiness of a life in the Navy?
9. What does Stephen disagree with Dillon about in relation to the decision of Jack to continue to search for prize money?
10. Why does Jack go back to the Crown and what does he do while he is there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the relationship between Dillon and Aubrey. How did this relationship affect Jack's ability to be captain? Do you think the Dillon was right in his views and beliefs? Do you think Jack's view's were justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
This novel is often described as one of the greatest buddy teams in novels. Do you agree with this description? Why or why not? Why do you think it is referred to in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in what ways Jack undermines his own ability to be a successful captain. Do you believe he could have acted differently to ensure a pro-captain promotion? Why or why not?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)