|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does Stephen report to be killed?
2. Who takes over command of the Felipe V when it falls to the Sophie?
3. What dragged Stephen down five fathoms when he was in the water?
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the word illicit in the following sentence: The ship had an illicit cargo of quicksilver.
5. What is ironic about most of the seamen aboard the Sophie?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the character of Jack uses an internal dialogue to express feelings. Do you believe the author develops this well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in what ways Jack undermines his own ability to be a successful captain. Do you believe he could have acted differently to ensure a pro-captain promotion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the statement that Jack is a character with some ignorance and prejudice, but also has a willingness to grow. Support your evaluation with information from the text. Would anyone reading the text agree with your supposition?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)