|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for the word illicit in the following sentence: The ship had an illicit cargo of quicksilver.
2. Who warns Jack about a possible attempt to provoke Jack's insubordination?
3. What is Stephen concerned that Jack may have done with the prisoners?
4. Who starts to follow Jack's ship?
5. Which of the following characters does Jack not invite to dinner?
Essay Topic 1
Describe examples of irony throughout the novel. How does Fate intervene at the height of Jack's success? Why is this considered an ironic event?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the statement that Jack is a character with some ignorance and prejudice, but also has a willingness to grow. Support your evaluation with information from the text. Would anyone reading the text agree with your supposition?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of book, Jack describes Lord Nelson. Write a description of Lord Nelson as seen through Jack's eyes. Do you believe Jack respects Lord Nelson? Why or why not? Do you respect Lord Nelson as Jack has described him? Why or why not?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)