|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warns Jack about a possible attempt to provoke Jack's insubordination?
2. Who starts to follow Jack's ship?
3. What is Dillon afraid will corrupt his men?
4. Why must Stephen consistently provide Jack and Dillon with medication?
5. What covered the Midshipmen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proves to Jack and the crew the ship with the blue ensign is from England?
2. What does Stephen tell Jack he must do in order to recover from the disease he got from Molly?
3. What is the decision at the court-martial in regards to Jack and his crew?
4. Despite his lack of knowledge about surgery, at what does Stephen excel?
5. What does Stephen warn Jack about in regards to his relationship with Molly?
6. What does Stephen believe is the cause of Tom Simmons' death?
7. Why does Admiral Keith tell Jack that he will probably never rise to pos-captain?
8. Why does Jack go back to the Crown and what does he do while he is there?
9. When they are playing, what does Jack confide in Stephen?
10. What does Mr. Ellis talk disparagingly about and of what importance is this within the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of book, Jack describes Lord Nelson. Write a description of Lord Nelson as seen through Jack's eyes. Do you believe Jack respects Lord Nelson? Why or why not? Do you respect Lord Nelson as Jack has described him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the character of Dillon is resentful? Do you believe his reasons are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing whether or not you agree that this novel is a brilliant study of character. Why do you believe this is or is not the case? Use information from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)