|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Ramis and Stephen be curiously examining?
2. Who warns Stephen that Captain Harte might be out to get Stephen?
3. Which of the following helps Jack to be successful?
4. Upon which ship do the men sneak up and take by surprise?
5. What type of mission does Captain Harte tell Jack they will be going on next?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the decision at the court-martial in regards to Jack and his crew?
2. What is Molly to Jack and of what importance is this to the novel?
3. What do Stephen and James discuss after dinner and why does Stephen find it pleasurable?
4. Despite his lack of knowledge about surgery, at what does Stephen excel?
5. For Stephen, what takes precedence over the spiritual emptiness of a life in the Navy?
6. What happens during the battle between the Sophie and the Cacafuego?
7. What does Stephen believe is the cause of Tom Simmons' death?
8. When they are playing, what does Jack confide in Stephen?
9. What does Jack realize he must give up after he talks with Admiral Saumarex?
10. What does Jack say to help relieve Stephen's concerns about the court-martial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the character of Jack uses an internal dialogue to express feelings. Do you believe the author develops this well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the character of Dillon is resentful? Do you believe his reasons are justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jack's fate throughout the novel. What does he covet? Do you think Jack deserves what happens to him throughout the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)