|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does practicing beat to quarters simulate?
2. What did Maturin accuse Jack of doing incorrectly during the concert?
3. What is a remora?
4. How many commands did Captain Jack have before this story was written?
5. How many men were saved from the Charlotte?
Short Essay Questions
1. What initial reaction does the Admiral have when he sees Jack kissing Queenie and how did this reaction change?
2. What specific actions does the author describe which allow the reader to deduce that Jack Aubrey is enjoying the concert?
3. Describe in detail what a sin-eater is.
4. What did Dillon come to Jack's quarters to discuss which might cause problems with the sailing?
5. Describe the kind of friend is Jack to Stephen and compare it to the kind of friend Stephen is to Jack.
6. Why does Jack think that the Sophie was released from convoy duties by the Admiral?
7. What secret information was included in the packet of information Captain Harte sent to Jack?
8. Describe the sky which Jack viewed as he looked to the West and its importance to the story.
9. What two factors cause the French ship, The Citoyen Durand, to surrender?
10. What did Maturin say to Jack on their first encounter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stephen rationalize the things he sees while aboard the Sophie? Do you think this is a valid method? Do you think he should have taken different actions? If so what actions should he have taken?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jack as a youth as described by Lord Keith. Would he have made a good friend to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe why a doctor such as Stephen would be in poverty. Do you believe Stephen, who seems well educated, should be in poverty as he is? Do you think Jack is phased by Stephen's poverty?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)