|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dillon afraid will corrupt his men?
(a) Lure of prize money
(c) White chalk
2. Who starts to follow Jack's ship?
(a) French squadron
(b) Spanish squadron
(c) Italian squadron
(d) English squadron
3. Which of the following characters does Jack not invite to dinner?
(d) New Midshipman
4. What did the gun crew hope to hit?
(b) Bobbing cast
(c) Enemy ship
(d) Elm-tree pump
5. Who warns Stephen that Captain Harte might be out to get Stephen?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for the word illicit in the following sentence: The ship had an illicit cargo of quicksilver.
2. Why must Stephen consistently provide Jack and Dillon with medication?
3. What does Stephen keep to help him deal with his feeling of being alone?
4. Why does the Sophie head to Cape Salou?
5. What does Stephen tell Jack is being sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack go back to the Crown and what does he do while he is there?
2. What does Jack do when the maintopgallantmast and foretosale fall and why?
3. What is Molly to Jack and of what importance is this to the novel?
4. For Stephen, what takes precedence over the spiritual emptiness of a life in the Navy?
5. What is the decision at the court-martial in regards to Jack and his crew?
6. What does Stephen believe is the cause of Tom Simmons' death?
7. What changed about the way Molly was treated throughout the novel?
8. What does Jack say to help relieve Stephen's concerns about the court-martial?
9. What does Jack realize he must give up after he talks with Admiral Saumarex?
10. What does Stephen tell Jack he must do in order to recover from the disease he got from Molly?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)