|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen tell Jack is being sent?
(a) Orders from Spain
(b) Warship to attack the Sophie
(c) Prison ship
(d) Treasure for the Sophie
2. Which of the following characters has asked for a transfer?
3. Which of the following is a ruse de guerre?
(a) Rules for punishment such as flogging
(b) Church service
(c) Disguise of war
(d) Navy list
4. Who is thrown overboard?
(b) New Midshipman
(c) Ellis' son
5. Who starts to follow Jack's ship?
(a) Spanish squadron
(b) French squadron
(c) Italian squadron
(d) English squadron
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts the breakfast of the two captains?
2. How does Jack feel about Mr. and Mrs. Ellis?
3. Upon which ship do the men sneak up and take by surprise?
4. Which of the following was the name of the character which was one of Stephen's patients who died in Chapter 10?
5. For what are sailors typically punished on the Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack go back to the Crown and what does he do while he is there?
2. Why does Admiral Keith tell Jack that he will probably never rise to pos-captain?
3. When they are playing, what does Jack confide in Stephen?
4. What does Stephen believe is the cause of Tom Simmons' death?
5. What happens during the battle between the Sophie and the Cacafuego?
6. What is Molly to Jack and of what importance is this to the novel?
7. For Stephen, what takes precedence over the spiritual emptiness of a life in the Navy?
8. What does Jack do when the maintopgallantmast and foretosale fall and why?
9. What does Stephen disagree with Dillon about in relation to the decision of Jack to continue to search for prize money?
10. What does Stephen tell Jack he must do in order to recover from the disease he got from Molly?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)