|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack discount as a gnat in respect to Stephen joining the crew?
(a) Ability of Stephen and Jack to get along
(b) Language difficulties
(c) Complete knowledge of surgical procedure
(d) Understanding of Naval hygiene
2. Which of the following terms does not describe Jack's encounter with Mrs. Harte?
(a) First name basis
(d) Unusually intimate
3. Which word best describes how the French ship, The Citoyen Durand, surrenders?
(a) After many days of battling
(b) With a great battle
(d) They do not surrender
4. Which word describes one of the motivating factors for Stephen to take the job?
(b) Basically penniless
(c) Escape from people who are looking at him
(d) Loss of his wife recently
5. What dismays Jack about the Midshipmen which they promise to improve?
(a) Flogging skills
(b) Spelling skills
(c) Animal identification skills
(d) Navigational exercises
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a synonym for the term aghast as used in the following sentence: Dillon was aghast at the harsh screams coming from the woman in labor.
2. How did Dillon choose to attack the two ships who were attacking the Dart from both sides?
3. Of what were the men who were punished aboard the Sophie accused?
4. What is Jack's paramount interest?
5. Which of the following was some of Baldick's favorite medicines?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what is Stephen's sense of duty linked and how is this reflected by his chosen profession?
2. Describe the sky which Jack viewed as he looked to the West and its importance to the story.
3. Why does Jack decide to proceed the pursuance of the vessel in silence?
4. What amazed Stephen while the crew was practicing beat to quarters?
5. What does Jack threaten Stephen with when they disagree about helping the plague ship?
6. What changes Jack's behavior at the party thrown by the Hartes and how does it change?
7. What secret information was included in the packet of information Captain Harte sent to Jack?
8. There were specific problems which Jack had with his ship. With what were the problems and what was the problem?
9. Where is Jack staying and why does he share this information with his neighbor?
10. What two factors cause the French ship, The Citoyen Durand, to surrender?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)