|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Maturin accuse Jack of doing incorrectly during the concert?
(a) Elbowing his neighbors inappropriately
(b) Making too much noise
(c) Singing the wrong lyrics
(d) Tapping out the beat
2. About how far do the cannon balls fire across the ocean when fired?
(a) 400 yards
(b) 100 yards
(c) 10 feet
(d) 8 feet
3. Which of the following is the best definition for the term epaulette?
(a) Decoration on the front of an officer's uniform
(b) Shoulder decoration on an officer's uniform
(c) The name of the pants of an officer's uniform
(d) The name of the jacket that is part of the officer's uniform
4. What did the Moorish cat ship hit first when they fired upon the Sophia?
(b) Starboard Guns
(c) Port cockpit
(d) Bower Anchor
5. Which character does Jack stop to visit at the hospital before arriving at his new command?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of ceremony was held once the Sophie went back to sea?
2. Who do Stephen and Jack visit at the dockyard after the snake incident?
3. Everything for the crew goes well until they begin to do what?
4. What is wrong with the new twelve-pound guns?
5. Who was hosting a grand party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack decide to proceed the pursuance of the vessel in silence?
2. What specific actions does the author describe which allow the reader to deduce that Jack Aubrey is enjoying the concert?
3. What did Dillon come to Jack's quarters to discuss which might cause problems with the sailing?
4. How do the sailors feel about hearing the Articles of War read to them?
5. What was the organization known as the United Irishmen?
6. Describe where the opening scene of this novel takes place and be sure to include descriptions of the actions occurring as well as the setting.
7. What did Maturin say to Jack on their first encounter?
8. What transportation does Jack utilize to approach his new ship?
9. Where is Jack staying and why does he share this information with his neighbor?
10. Prior to the strange death of Henry Gouges, what caused the sailors of the Sophie to show off a remarkable bit of seamanship?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)