|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition for the term epaulette?
(a) The name of the pants of an officer's uniform
(b) Decoration on the front of an officer's uniform
(c) The name of the jacket that is part of the officer's uniform
(d) Shoulder decoration on an officer's uniform
2. Who do Stephen and Jack visit at the dockyard after the snake incident?
3. How long was the interval between two shots?
(a) Less than 1 minute
(b) 2 minutes 26 seconds
(c) More than 5 minutes
(d) 3 minutes and 45 seconds
4. Which word describes one of the motivating factors for Stephen to take the job?
(a) Loss of his wife recently
(b) Basically penniless
(d) Escape from people who are looking at him
5. What did Aubrey and Maturin share with their coffee as their friendship started?
Short Answer Questions
1. For which of the following did Dillon earn notoriety?
2. Which of the following characters has a hare lip?
3. Why do the many officers gather around Jack at the Harte's party?
4. Which of the following was not a reaction to the punishment of the new man, John Surel?
5. Which of the following was some of Baldick's favorite medicines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the organization known as the United Irishmen?
2. How do the sailors feel about hearing the Articles of War read to them?
3. What blunder did Jack tell Stephen he made with regards to Dillon?
4. What initial reaction does the Admiral have when he sees Jack kissing Queenie and how did this reaction change?
5. What did Maturin say to Jack on their first encounter?
6. Describe the kind of friend is Jack to Stephen and compare it to the kind of friend Stephen is to Jack.
7. Describe in detail what a sin-eater is.
8. How did Jack know that the Moors had called for surrender?
9. Describe Jack's personal view of the flogging he does to his crew.
10. What quashed any hope of prize money for the surrender of the Moors?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)