|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the words would Jack use to describe the types of currents wafting through his crew and officers?
2. Who takes over the prisoners and is given the possession of the prize tartan ship?
3. What did the gun crew hope to hit?
(a) Elm-tree pump
(b) Enemy ship
(c) Bobbing cast
4. What is Dillon afraid will corrupt his men?
(b) Lure of prize money
(c) White chalk
5. What does the French doctor typically eat for breakfast?
(a) Gigantic, sumptuous breakfast
(b) Eggs and bacon
(c) Milkless cocoa and bread
(d) Bread and honey
6. What does Stephen tell Jack is being sent?
(a) Warship to attack the Sophie
(b) Orders from Spain
(c) Prison ship
(d) Treasure for the Sophie
7. What is a tartan?
(a) Plague ship
(b) Fleet ship
(c) Small merchant ship
(d) Great gunship
8. For what are sailors typically punished on the Sophie?
(a) Refusing to write home
(c) Disobeying orders
(d) Inability to swim
9. Who put white chalk into the food?
(b) Stephen's helper
(c) The new midshipman
10. What must Jack do in order to recover from his serious illness?
(a) Nothing, it is terminal
(d) Drastic diet
11. Why could Stephen be shot?
(a) For putting white chalk into the food of the crew members
(b) For visiting a friend while captain of a ship
(c) As a spy
(d) For taking prisoners
12. How does Jack feel about Mr. and Mrs. Ellis?
(a) Surprisingly entertaining
(b) Detests them
(c) Finds hope in them
(d) Enjoys their company
13. What is a covert distress sign?
(a) Hanging a red flag out the wardroom quarter galley hatch
(b) Raising a flag with the union downward
(c) Dumping cargo into the sea
(d) Waving a white flag
14. Who does Jack miss?
15. Which of the following best describes what a snow is as used in the following sentence: The Sophie is disguised as a snow with the object of creating another ruse.
(a) A battle ship with 2 big masts and 2 smaller masts
(b) A transport vessel with 1 big mast and 1 small mast
(c) A plague ship with 1 big mast and 1 small mast
(d) Merchant ship with 2 big masts and 1 smaller mast
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word providential mean in the following sentence: The rendezvous seemed almost providential.
2. What does Stephen believe the petulance between Dillon and Jack will lead to?
3. What does Jack attend at the Governor's residence?
4. Which of the following was the name of the character which was one of Stephen's patients who died in Chapter 10?
5. What is Stephen summoned to the quarterdeck to view with Jack?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)