|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will be Jack's second-in-command?
2. Which word best describes how Stephen felt about the giant waves from the southeasterly storm?
3. What dismays Jack about the Midshipmen which they promise to improve?
(a) Flogging skills
(b) Navigational exercises
(c) Animal identification skills
(d) Spelling skills
4. Which of the following was not a reaction to the punishment of the new man, John Surel?
5. What did Maturin accuse Jack of doing incorrectly during the concert?
(a) Singing the wrong lyrics
(b) Tapping out the beat
(c) Elbowing his neighbors inappropriately
(d) Making too much noise
6. What does Mr. Dillon read to the men at breakfast?
(a) From the Bible
(b) The orders from the commandant
(c) Assignments for the sailors
(d) Articles of War
7. Where does Jack tell his guns aboard the Sophia to aim?
8. What happened when the Sophie fired a warning shot toward The CItoyen Durand?
(a) They dumped their prize possessions into the ocean.
(b) The crew increased their speed.
(c) The captain's wife went into labor.
(d) The ship exploded.
9. Which instrument did the Commandant's wife play?
10. What does before the mast mean?
(a) Stripping a midshipman of his status and turning him into a common sailor
(b) Calling out a sailor of higher rank to compete in a duel for his rank
(c) Promoting a common sailor into a midshipman
(d) Raising the sails of a ship in surrender to the enemy
11. What does Jack discount as a gnat in respect to Stephen joining the crew?
(a) Understanding of Naval hygiene
(b) Complete knowledge of surgical procedure
(c) Ability of Stephen and Jack to get along
(d) Language difficulties
12. Who calls out when land is spotted aboard the Sophie?
(d) Starboard watchman
13. What happened to the Charlotte?
14. Everything for the crew goes well until they begin to do what?
(b) Climbing the ratlines
(c) Corking the deck
(d) Work with the guns
15. Maturin tells Jack that he can be found where most any morning?
(a) Govenor's mansion
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen warn of as a deadly danger from a lack of ventilation?
2. Which of the following characters is the ship's surgeon?
3. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term appalled in the following sentence: Stephen was appalled by the lack of compassion Jack showed toward the survivors on the other ship.
4. How did Dillon choose to attack the two ships who were attacking the Dart from both sides?
5. Which of the characters cannot speak?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)