|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not a reaction to the punishment of the new man, John Surel?
2. What did Aubrey and Maturin share with their coffee as their friendship started?
3. What is Jack's paramount interest?
(a) Reaquainting himself with Queenie
(b) Increasing his rank
(d) Prize money
4. What causes tears to come to Jack's eyes when he is settled in the cross tree?
(a) Destruction of the Charlotte
(b) Line of enemy ships in the sea
(c) Sinking of the Sophie
(d) Perfect sky
5. How many men were aboard the Sophia who were also aboard the Charlotte?
6. Of what were the men who were punished aboard the Sophie accused?
(c) Abandoment of duties
7. How many bells went off which subsequently woke up Stephen?
8. Which of the following best describes Jack's behavior at the Harte's party AFTER he has too much to drink?
9. Everything for the crew goes well until they begin to do what?
(b) Corking the deck
(c) Work with the guns
(d) Climbing the ratlines
10. How do the officers dress to administer the punishment?
(a) Casual clothes
(b) Gold-laced hats with swords
(c) Specific uniform only used during punishments
(d) In all white
11. What does the waiter bring to Jack after he tries to convince Stephen to come with him on the voyage?
(a) Packet of orders from Captain Harte
(b) Another promotion for Jack
(d) Applications for sailors
12. For what was the cake that Stephen and the French captain shared intended?
(a) Baby's christening
(b) Wife's birthday
(c) Stephen's birthday
(d) Captain's birthday
13. Who sabotaged Jack's chances for acquiring the French privateer?
14. Which of the following is the best definition for the term epaulette?
(a) The name of the pants of an officer's uniform
(b) Shoulder decoration on an officer's uniform
(c) The name of the jacket that is part of the officer's uniform
(d) Decoration on the front of an officer's uniform
15. When is Stephen told he will meet Mr. Dillon?
(a) At breakfast
(b) At lunch
(c) As he reports for duty
(d) At the evening meal
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Maturin accuse Jack of doing incorrectly during the concert?
2. What does Jack imagine using to beat down Maturin?
3. What does Jack discount as a gnat in respect to Stephen joining the crew?
4. Which of the following words/phrases did Jack NOT think describing Maturin during the concert?
5. Which of the following was some of Baldick's favorite medicines?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)