|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jack mention to Dillon that was necessary to assign to the men?
(a) Jobs aboard the ship
(d) Duties aboard the ship
2. Which instrument did the Commandant's wife play?
3. What does before the mast mean?
(a) Promoting a common sailor into a midshipman
(b) Raising the sails of a ship in surrender to the enemy
(c) Calling out a sailor of higher rank to compete in a duel for his rank
(d) Stripping a midshipman of his status and turning him into a common sailor
4. Which of the following characters is the Commandant of all of the British Navy Captains stationed at Mahon?
5. Who visits the Captain saying that the warrant officers would like Stephen to share in their portion of the prize?
6. What causes Jack to jump on a chair?
(c) A joke from Stephen
7. What did Aubrey and Maturin share with their coffee as their friendship started?
8. Of what religion is Dillon?
9. Who will be Jack's second-in-command?
10. What game do Dillon and Stephen share?
11. Who did Jack call out and challenge to a duel?
12. Which of the following does Dillon not admit to Stephen in relation to Captain Aubrey?
(a) He is unhappy to be working for a prize-happy captain.
(b) He is unhappy to be passed over for promotion.
(c) He is surprised that the captain has a patriotic motive for the war.
(d) He does not admire the captain at all.
13. What is a polacre?
(a) Gentleman's magazine
(b) 3-masted Mediterranean ship
(c) Quarantined ship
(d) Plague ship
14. How did Dillon choose to attack the two ships who were attacking the Dart from both sides?
(c) With help from an ally
15. Everything for the crew goes well until they begin to do what?
(b) Corking the deck
(c) Climbing the ratlines
(d) Work with the guns
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack think the Moors did to make the cat ship a prize?
2. What does Jack imagine using to beat down Maturin?
3. Where is the setting as the novel opens?
4. What does Stephen warn of as a deadly danger from a lack of ventilation?
5. Which of the following characters was the captain of the Sophie?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)