Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the elm-tree pump used for?
(a) Washing the deck
(b) Lavatories and wash water
(c) Providing fresh water
(d) Shooting water at the enemy
2. Which of the following is the best definition for the term epaulette?
(a) Decoration on the front of an officer's uniform
(b) The name of the jacket that is part of the officer's uniform
(c) Shoulder decoration on an officer's uniform
(d) The name of the pants of an officer's uniform
3. Which of the following is the best synonym for the word erudition in the following sentence: Stephen amazed Jack with his erudition in pointing out one special dish.
4. Maturin tells Jack that he can be found where most any morning?
(b) Govenor's mansion
5. Which of the following characters has a cousin joining the ship?
6. What nationality is the ship that the Sophie chases and eventually catches?
7. Which of the following was some of Baldick's favorite medicines?
(a) Ward's Wine
(b) Ward's Water
(c) Ward's Sardines
(d) Ward's drops
8. How many commands did Captain Jack have before this story was written?
9. For what does Stephen use the extra room that Jack offers him?
(a) Living, as he moved into this room
(b) Reading his manuals
(c) Setting up his surgery area
(d) Seeing patients
10. For what was the cake that Stephen and the French captain shared intended?
(a) Wife's birthday
(b) Baby's christening
(c) Stephen's birthday
(d) Captain's birthday
11. Of what religion is Dillon?
12. Who will be Jack's second-in-command?
13. Which word best describes how Stephen felt about the giant waves from the southeasterly storm?
14. What does Mr. Dillon read to the men at breakfast?
(a) From the Bible
(b) Assignments for the sailors
(c) The orders from the commandant
(d) Articles of War
15. Who do Stephen and Jack visit at the dockyard after the snake incident?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Harte feel about Jack's promotion?
2. What is Jack's paramount interest?
3. What did Aubrey and Maturin share with their coffee as their friendship started?
4. Which of the following characters was the captain of the Sophie?
5. What does Jack discount as a gnat in respect to Stephen joining the crew?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)