|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jack tell his guns aboard the Sophia to aim?
2. About how far do the cannon balls fire across the ocean when fired?
(a) 100 yards
(b) 10 feet
(c) 400 yards
(d) 8 feet
3. Which of the following words/phrases did Jack NOT think describing Maturin during the concert?
(b) White-faced creature
(c) Ancient wig
(d) Poor demeanor
4. What type of ship was the Dart?
5. Where were the Norwegians hiding?
(a) A different ship
6. What does before the mast mean?
(a) Stripping a midshipman of his status and turning him into a common sailor
(b) Promoting a common sailor into a midshipman
(c) Raising the sails of a ship in surrender to the enemy
(d) Calling out a sailor of higher rank to compete in a duel for his rank
7. Which of the following is the best definition for the term epaulette?
(a) Decoration on the front of an officer's uniform
(b) Shoulder decoration on an officer's uniform
(c) The name of the jacket that is part of the officer's uniform
(d) The name of the pants of an officer's uniform
8. What did Jack mention to Dillon that was necessary to assign to the men?
(a) Jobs aboard the ship
(d) Duties aboard the ship
9. What dismays Jack about the Midshipmen which they promise to improve?
(a) Animal identification skills
(b) Navigational exercises
(c) Flogging skills
(d) Spelling skills
10. Where was Jack injured?
11. Which instrument did the Commandant's wife play?
12. Which of the following is Dillon's political view?
(a) Does not want separation from England or an independent parliament
(b) Wants separation from England
(c) Wants an independent parliament
(d) Is in favor of a joint parliament
13. What does the waiter bring to Jack after he tries to convince Stephen to come with him on the voyage?
(b) Applications for sailors
(c) Packet of orders from Captain Harte
(d) Another promotion for Jack
14. How many died on the Dart during that battle?
15. Which of the following is a synonym for the term aghast as used in the following sentence: Dillon was aghast at the harsh screams coming from the woman in labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the gunner injured?
2. Which of the following terms does not describe Jack's encounter with Mrs. Harte?
3. Who sabotaged Jack's chances for acquiring the French privateer?
4. Which of the following is a square hole beside the mast?
5. What is a polacre?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)