|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Stephen told he will meet Mr. Dillon?
(a) As he reports for duty
(b) At breakfast
(c) At lunch
(d) At the evening meal
2. Which word best describes how Stephen felt about the giant waves from the southeasterly storm?
3. What was Gouges holding when he died?
(a) Cannon ball
(c) Drought of grog
(d) Birthday cake
4. For what does Stephen use the extra room that Jack offers him?
(a) Seeing patients
(b) Living, as he moved into this room
(c) Setting up his surgery area
(d) Reading his manuals
5. Which of the following terms does not describe Jack's encounter with Mrs. Harte?
(b) Unusually intimate
(c) First name basis
6. How long was the interval between two shots?
(a) Less than 1 minute
(b) More than 5 minutes
(c) 2 minutes 26 seconds
(d) 3 minutes and 45 seconds
7. Which of the following characters' death is included in the Sophie's log?
8. What does Jack discount as a gnat in respect to Stephen joining the crew?
(a) Language difficulties
(b) Ability of Stephen and Jack to get along
(c) Complete knowledge of surgical procedure
(d) Understanding of Naval hygiene
9. Which of the following is a synonym for the term aghast as used in the following sentence: Dillon was aghast at the harsh screams coming from the woman in labor.
10. Which of the characters cannot speak?
11. Why do the many officers gather around Jack at the Harte's party?
(a) Noting his prizes
(b) Undermining his authority
(c) Listening to him play a song
(d) Examining his sword
12. Who did Jack send to tell Stephen he would not make it back to port in time for dinner?
13. How long was the fish Stephen was called to see?
(a) 9 inches
(b) 1 foot
(c) 5 feet
(d) 2 inches
14. What did Aubrey and Maturin share with their coffee as their friendship started?
15. How did Dillon choose to attack the two ships who were attacking the Dart from both sides?
(a) With help from an ally
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes tears to come to Jack's eyes when he is settled in the cross tree?
2. What happened to the Charlotte?
3. Who sabotaged Jack's chances for acquiring the French privateer?
4. Which of the following best describes Jack's behavior at the Harte's party BEFORE he has too much liquor?
5. Which of the following words/phrases did Jack NOT think describing Maturin during the concert?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)