|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters' death is included in the Sophie's log?
2. Who did Jack send to tell Stephen he would not make it back to port in time for dinner?
3. When is Stephen told he will meet Mr. Dillon?
(a) As he reports for duty
(b) At lunch
(c) At the evening meal
(d) At breakfast
4. Which of the following does Jack indicate he relied on for his own promotion?
(a) Very important acts
(b) Brave deeds
(c) A bit of luck
(d) Saving the right person
5. What type of ceremony was held once the Sophie went back to sea?
(a) One to promote Stephen
(b) One to administer punishment
(c) One to promote Jack
(d) One to demote a sailor
6. What is wrong with the new twelve-pound guns?
(a) Over shoot their targets
(b) Recoil too much
(c) Do not fit in the slots
(d) Do not work properly
7. What type of ship was the Dart?
8. Who will be Jack's second-in-command?
9. What does before the mast mean?
(a) Promoting a common sailor into a midshipman
(b) Raising the sails of a ship in surrender to the enemy
(c) Stripping a midshipman of his status and turning him into a common sailor
(d) Calling out a sailor of higher rank to compete in a duel for his rank
10. What game do Dillon and Stephen share?
11. Who calls out when land is spotted aboard the Sophie?
(a) Starboard watchman
12. Which of the following characters has a cousin joining the ship?
13. What is a polacre?
(a) Plague ship
(b) Gentleman's magazine
(c) Quarantined ship
(d) 3-masted Mediterranean ship
14. What does Jack think the Moors did to make the cat ship a prize?
(a) Burned holes in the deck
(b) Carved their symbol into the ship
(c) Flew their own flags
(d) Throw all the men over board
15. Where is the setting as the novel opens?
(a) Music room in Minorca
(b) Music room aboard ship
(c) Governor's house in Mahon
(d) Hospital in the Balearic Islands
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the gunner injured?
2. Which of the following best describes Jack's behavior at the Harte's party AFTER he has too much to drink?
3. Who sabotaged Jack's chances for acquiring the French privateer?
4. What was Gouges holding when he died?
5. Who was hosting a grand party?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)