|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the officers dress to administer the punishment?
(a) In all white
(b) Gold-laced hats with swords
(c) Casual clothes
(d) Specific uniform only used during punishments
2. Everything for the crew goes well until they begin to do what?
(a) Climbing the ratlines
(c) Corking the deck
(d) Work with the guns
3. Who sabotaged Jack's chances for acquiring the French privateer?
4. Which of the following is a synonym for the term aghast as used in the following sentence: Dillon was aghast at the harsh screams coming from the woman in labor.
5. How does Mrs. Harte feel about Jack's promotion?
6. What does Stephen warn of as a deadly danger from a lack of ventilation?
7. What does before the mast mean?
(a) Raising the sails of a ship in surrender to the enemy
(b) Promoting a common sailor into a midshipman
(c) Stripping a midshipman of his status and turning him into a common sailor
(d) Calling out a sailor of higher rank to compete in a duel for his rank
8. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term appalled in the following sentence: Stephen was appalled by the lack of compassion Jack showed toward the survivors on the other ship.
9. Which word best describes how Stephen felt about the giant waves from the southeasterly storm?
10. Which of the following best describes Jack's behavior at the Harte's party BEFORE he has too much liquor?
11. What nationality is the ship that the Sophie chases and eventually catches?
12. Which is Stephen's native country?
13. What does Jack think the Moors did to make the cat ship a prize?
(a) Carved their symbol into the ship
(b) Flew their own flags
(c) Throw all the men over board
(d) Burned holes in the deck
14. Which of the following does Jack indicate he relied on for his own promotion?
(a) Brave deeds
(b) Saving the right person
(c) Very important acts
(d) A bit of luck
15. How many men were saved from the Charlotte?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack imagine using to beat down Maturin?
2. Which of the following characters was the captain of the Sophie?
3. Which of the following best describes Jack's behavior at the Harte's party AFTER he has too much to drink?
4. Which word describes one of the motivating factors for Stephen to take the job?
5. What does Jack discount as a gnat in respect to Stephen joining the crew?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)