|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term appalled in the following sentence: Stephen was appalled by the lack of compassion Jack showed toward the survivors on the other ship.
2. Which of the following characters has a cousin joining the ship?
3. What type of ship was the Dart?
4. Who did Jack send to tell Stephen he would not make it back to port in time for dinner?
5. How many gun sloops did the Sophie have?
6. Which of the following terms best describes the type of thoughts Jack had when Maturin elbowed him during the concert?
7. Which of the following is Dillon's political view?
(a) Is in favor of a joint parliament
(b) Does not want separation from England or an independent parliament
(c) Wants an independent parliament
(d) Wants separation from England
8. What does Jack compare the fish, birds and meteors to as he tries to convince Stephen to join him aboard ship?
(a) Strange and new people
(b) Prize money
(d) Surgical prowess
9. About how far was the recoil when the guns were fired?
(a) 8 feet
(b) 10 feet
(c) 400 yards
(d) 100 yards
10. What is a polacre?
(a) Gentleman's magazine
(b) Quarantined ship
(c) 3-masted Mediterranean ship
(d) Plague ship
11. What game do Dillon and Stephen share?
12. What does Jack indicate is the problem for sailors at sea?
(a) Sea sickness
13. Which of the following sheets does Mowett say that the sailors will adjust first?
14. Which of the following is the best definition for the term epaulette?
(a) Shoulder decoration on an officer's uniform
(b) Decoration on the front of an officer's uniform
(c) The name of the jacket that is part of the officer's uniform
(d) The name of the pants of an officer's uniform
15. Where is the setting as the novel opens?
(a) Governor's house in Mahon
(b) Hospital in the Balearic Islands
(c) Music room aboard ship
(d) Music room in Minorca
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Jack call out and challenge to a duel?
2. Where was Jack injured?
3. What is a few guineas?
4. Of what were the men who were punished aboard the Sophie accused?
5. What type of ceremony was held once the Sophie went back to sea?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)