|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Mary hire a boat to catch up with Will?
2. Who does Job receive a letter from at the courthouse?
3. Why does Sally Leadbitter go to Mary's house in Chapter 25?
4. How is the house that Mary is taken to described in Chapter 31?
5. What excuse does Jem use to return to Liverpool quickly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
2. What effect does the summons to testify against her son have on Jane Wilson?
3. Why does Margaret tell her grandfather that Mary should be the one to search for Will?
4. What does Mary offer the sailors in order to hire a boat?
5. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
6. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
7. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
8. How do the Sturgis' try to revive Mary when she faints at their house?
9. How does Mary realize that her father is the true murderer?
10. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forgiveness is a recurring motif in the novel. What examples of forgiveness can be found, and what compels the characters to forgive others?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the work of the author, Elizabeth Gaskell, and determine how this novel compares to her other works.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the antagonist of the story? Why? Give examples from the text to illustrate your points.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)