|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Job offer Charley to escort Mary home should she show up at the Jones'?
2. What expression does the old boatman's wife like to use?
3. Who does Jane Wilson blame for Harry Carson's death?
4. Where does Mary say she has no intention to return to in Chapter 25?
5. What lie does Job tell Jane about Mary in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will Wilson say he will return to the shore?
2. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
3. What does Mary offer the sailors in order to hire a boat?
4. Who does Jane blame for Jem's arrest?
5. What alibi is found for Jem?
6. Why does Jem leave Mary to return to Manchester?
7. Why does Sally Leadbitter say Mary should rethink giving up her job?
8. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
9. How does Jane Wilson feel about Jem and Mary as a couple?
10. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the narrative? How would the story have been different if it were set in a different time? Place?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the antagonist of the story? Why? Give examples from the text to illustrate your points.
Essay Topic 3
A number of the working class characters of the novel "Mary Barton" strive to raise their social status. Discuss who does this and how they go about doing so.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)