|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jem worry about returning to life in Manchester?
2. What word does Mary want to ask Job the meaning of?
3. Who recommends that Mary be the one to track down Will Wilson?
4. Which of the following do the old boatman and his wife NOT use to try to revive Mary from fainting?
5. What does Esther pawn her clothing to purchase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the antagonist of the story? Why? Give examples from the text to illustrate your points.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Gaskell's use of symbolism in the novel "Mary Barton".
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the novel "Mary Barton"? Why? Support your response with ample evidence from the text.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)