|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jem ask his mother for before he returns to Liverpool?
2. What does Mary wear to Liverpool?
3. Who recommends that Mary be the one to track down Will Wilson?
4. In Chapter 31, rather than sleep at night, what does Mary do?
5. After learning the identity of his son's murderer, what does Henry Carson do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
2. How has Alice Wilson's stroke affected her, and who cares for her?
3. What does Esther find at the scene of the Carson murder?
4. How does Jane Wilson feel about Jem and Mary as a couple?
5. Why does Jem leave Mary to return to Manchester?
6. What does Mary offer the sailors in order to hire a boat?
7. How do the Sturgis' try to revive Mary when she faints at their house?
8. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
9. How does Mary realize that her father is the true murderer?
10. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A number of the working class characters of the novel "Mary Barton" strive to raise their social status. Discuss who does this and how they go about doing so.
Essay Topic 2
Rebellion is a recurring motif of the novel "Mary Barton". Discuss rebellion in the novel and what causes the characters to rebel.
Essay Topic 3
Forgiveness is a recurring motif in the novel. What examples of forgiveness can be found, and what compels the characters to forgive others?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)