|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jem learn is dying in Chapter 33?
2. What does Esther pawn her clothing to purchase?
3. What does Sally ask Mary about her trip to Liverpool?
4. What lie does Job tell Jane about Mary in Chapter 30?
5. How does Mary travel to Liverpool?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
2. Why does Margaret tell her grandfather that Mary should be the one to search for Will?
3. What alibi is found for Jem?
4. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
5. How has Alice Wilson's stroke affected her, and who cares for her?
6. How does Mary end up going home with one of the sailors?
7. What does Mary offer the sailors in order to hire a boat?
8. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
9. What does Esther find at the scene of the Carson murder?
10. How does Jane Wilson feel about Jem and Mary as a couple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chartism was a workers' movement from the 1830's to 1850. Discuss chartism and its role in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the narrative? How would the story have been different if it were set in a different time? Place?
Essay Topic 3
The central theme of the novel, "Mary Barton" is the social differences between the rich and the poor. How are they treated in society? What struggles must each class face? Are they at all similar? How do they view one another?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)