|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary say she has no intention to return to in Chapter 25?
2. What does the young boy that Mary runs into in the street beg her for?
3. What impression does Mr. Bridgenorth get from meeting Jem?
4. What does Mary lose from her pocket upon returning to the shore in Chapter 28?
5. Instead of money, what does Mary offer two sailors as pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary's first thought when she sees her father after returning from Liverpool?
2. What does Charley Jones clarify about the John Cropper sailing out?
3. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
4. What does Mary stay up all night doing at the Sturgis' house?
5. How does Jane Wilson feel about Jem and Mary as a couple?
6. What effect does the summons to testify against her son have on Jane Wilson?
7. Why does Margaret tell her grandfather that Mary should be the one to search for Will?
8. How does Mary end up going home with one of the sailors?
9. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
10. Who does Jane blame for Jem's arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The central theme of the novel, "Mary Barton" is the social differences between the rich and the poor. How are they treated in society? What struggles must each class face? Are they at all similar? How do they view one another?
Essay Topic 2
Generosity is a recurring motif in the novel "Mary Barton". Discuss the characters and their generosity in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the work of the author, Elizabeth Gaskell, and determine how this novel compares to her other works.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)