|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary travel to Liverpool?
2. What is the only food Mary has to eat at home?
3. What pier does Mary depart from on the boat to take her to the John Cooper?
4. What does Jem worry about returning to life in Manchester?
5. What does Mary lose from her pocket upon returning to the shore in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary's first thought when she sees her father after returning from Liverpool?
2. Why does Margaret tell her grandfather that Mary should be the one to search for Will?
3. How does Will Wilson say he will return to the shore?
4. How has Alice Wilson's stroke affected her, and who cares for her?
5. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
6. How do the Sturgis' try to revive Mary when she faints at their house?
7. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
8. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
9. What does Jem ask of Job in the letter he writes him?
10. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gaskell uses language to make the characters more vivid and realistic. Discuss how Gaskell uses dialect and regional works to bring the Lancashire world to life.
Essay Topic 2
Forgiveness is a recurring motif in the novel. What examples of forgiveness can be found, and what compels the characters to forgive others?
Essay Topic 3
The murder of a mill owner in the story is based on the real murder of a factory owner in 1831 Manchester. Compare and contrast the real story with the fictional story in the novel "Mary Barton".
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)