|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what service does Mary earn a little bit of money in Chapter 35?
2. How does Jane feel about her son's affection for Mary?
3. Who is Mrs. Jones?
4. Why does Mary ask a doctor to declare Jane Wilson unfit to travel?
5. What lie does Job tell Jane about Mary in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
2. How does Will Wilson say he will return to the shore?
3. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
4. What does Charley Jones clarify about the John Cropper sailing out?
5. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
6. Who does Jane blame for Jem's arrest?
7. Why does Sally Leadbitter say Mary should rethink giving up her job?
8. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
9. What does Mary offer the sailors in order to hire a boat?
10. What alibi is found for Jem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The murder of a mill owner in the story is based on the real murder of a factory owner in 1831 Manchester. Compare and contrast the real story with the fictional story in the novel "Mary Barton".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Industrial Revolution and its role in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the end of the novel. Were you satisfied with the ending? Did it surprise you? Why or why not?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)