|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After learning the identity of his son's murderer, what does Henry Carson do?
2. What name does Mary call her Aunt Esther by?
3. Why does Mary ask a doctor to declare Jane Wilson unfit to travel?
4. Who is the lawyer that Job hires?
5. Where does Mary wait at the courthouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Esther find at the scene of the Carson murder?
2. What alibi is found for Jem?
3. How does Mary realize that her father is the true murderer?
4. What does Charley Jones clarify about the John Cropper sailing out?
5. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
6. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
7. Why does Margaret tell her grandfather that Mary should be the one to search for Will?
8. Why does Jem leave Mary to return to Manchester?
9. Why does Sally Leadbitter say Mary should rethink giving up her job?
10. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gaskell's use of symbolism in the novel "Mary Barton".
Essay Topic 2
Forgiveness is a recurring motif in the novel. What examples of forgiveness can be found, and what compels the characters to forgive others?
Essay Topic 3
Generosity is a recurring motif in the novel "Mary Barton". Discuss the characters and their generosity in the novel.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)