|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of money, what does Mary offer two sailors as pay?
2. For what service does Mary earn a little bit of money in Chapter 35?
3. Whose name is written on the wad of paper Esther finds in the hedge?
4. Why does Mary ask a doctor to declare Jane Wilson unfit to travel?
5. What word does Mary want to ask Job the meaning of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the summons to testify against her son have on Jane Wilson?
2. What does Esther find at the scene of the Carson murder?
3. How has Alice Wilson's stroke affected her, and who cares for her?
4. How does Jane Wilson feel about Jem and Mary as a couple?
5. Why does Sally Leadbitter say Mary should rethink giving up her job?
6. How do the Sturgis' try to revive Mary when she faints at their house?
7. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
8. How does Will Wilson say he will return to the shore?
9. What is Mary's first thought when she sees her father after returning from Liverpool?
10. What does Charley Jones clarify about the John Cropper sailing out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Generosity is a recurring motif in the novel "Mary Barton". Discuss the characters and their generosity in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Forgiveness is a recurring motif in the novel. What examples of forgiveness can be found, and what compels the characters to forgive others?
Essay Topic 3
Love and romance are used to balance with the serious tone of the workers' struggle with the mill owners. Discuss the romance of Mary and Jem and its purpose in the novel.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)