|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jane Wilson's condition when Mary goes to see her at the beginning of Chapter 24?
2. What do Margaret and Mary observe about Alice when they visit her in Chapter 19?
3. Why would the boat that Mary rode NOT return to the same pier?
4. What pier does Mary depart from on the boat to take her to the John Cooper?
5. Why does Sally Leadbitter go to Mary's house in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
2. How does Mary end up going home with one of the sailors?
3. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
4. How does Mary realize that her father is the true murderer?
5. Why does Jem leave Mary to return to Manchester?
6. What is Mary's first thought when she sees her father after returning from Liverpool?
7. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
8. What does Mary offer the sailors in order to hire a boat?
9. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
10. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the narrative? How would the story have been different if it were set in a different time? Place?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Gaskell's use of symbolism in the novel "Mary Barton".
Essay Topic 3
A number of the working class characters of the novel "Mary Barton" strive to raise their social status. Discuss who does this and how they go about doing so.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)