|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the house that Mary is taken to described in Chapter 31?
2. How does Mary travel to Liverpool?
3. How do Mary and Margaret decide to help Jane in Chapter 19?
4. Who does Mary listen to speaking about Jem's case on her way to Liverpool?
5. What impression does Mr. Bridgenorth get from meeting Jem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The central theme of the novel, "Mary Barton" is the social differences between the rich and the poor. How are they treated in society? What struggles must each class face? Are they at all similar? How do they view one another?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Mary Barton. What are her defining character traits and how does she affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Chartism was a workers' movement from the 1830's to 1850. Discuss chartism and its role in the novel.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)