|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary think the woman at her door at the end of Chapter 20 is?
2. Where is Harry Carson murdered?
3. Who does Jem learn is dying in Chapter 33?
4. Who does Mary see is slowly dying in Chapter 22?
5. Where are the sons of the old boatman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the summons to testify against her son have on Jane Wilson?
2. What is Mary's first thought when she sees her father after returning from Liverpool?
3. Who does Jane blame for Jem's arrest?
4. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
5. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
6. What does Esther find at the scene of the Carson murder?
7. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
8. How does Mary realize that her father is the true murderer?
9. What does Charley Jones clarify about the John Cropper sailing out?
10. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the female characters of the novel. How are they portrayed in the novel? Do you believe that having a female author affected the portrayal of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Love and romance are used to balance with the serious tone of the workers' struggle with the mill owners. Discuss the romance of Mary and Jem and its purpose in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The characters of the novel "Mary Barton" face many trials along the way, yet, for the most part, they remain hopeful. Discuss the recurring motif of hope in the novel "Mary Barton".
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)