|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esther pawn her clothing to purchase?
2. What lie does Job tell Jane about Mary in Chapter 30?
3. What name does Mary call her Aunt Esther by?
4. Where does Mary wait at the courthouse?
5. What information does Jem decide not to share with John Barton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary offer the sailors in order to hire a boat?
2. How does Jane Wilson feel about Jem and Mary as a couple?
3. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
4. Why does Jem leave Mary to return to Manchester?
5. How does Mary realize that her father is the true murderer?
6. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
7. What does Mary stay up all night doing at the Sturgis' house?
8. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
9. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
10. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the antagonist of the story? Why? Give examples from the text to illustrate your points.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Gaskell's use of symbolism in the novel "Mary Barton".
Essay Topic 3
The central theme of the novel, "Mary Barton" is the social differences between the rich and the poor. How are they treated in society? What struggles must each class face? Are they at all similar? How do they view one another?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)