|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Will Wilson's ship?
2. Who does Job receive a letter from at the courthouse?
3. Why does Sally Leadbitter go to Mary's house in Chapter 25?
4. What does Mary suffer at the beginning of Chapter 33?
5. What pier does Mary depart from on the boat to take her to the John Cooper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jane blame for Jem's arrest?
2. What does Mary offer the sailors in order to hire a boat?
3. What does Mary stay up all night doing at the Sturgis' house?
4. How has Alice Wilson's stroke affected her, and who cares for her?
5. How does Mary realize that her father is the true murderer?
6. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
7. What alibi is found for Jem?
8. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
9. How does Mary end up going home with one of the sailors?
10. What effect does the summons to testify against her son have on Jane Wilson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the female characters of the novel. How are they portrayed in the novel? Do you believe that having a female author affected the portrayal of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Forgiveness is a recurring motif in the novel. What examples of forgiveness can be found, and what compels the characters to forgive others?
Essay Topic 3
A number of the working class characters of the novel "Mary Barton" strive to raise their social status. Discuss who does this and how they go about doing so.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)