|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary say she has no intention to return to in Chapter 25?
2. On what day is Harry Carson murdered?
3. What lie does Job tell Jane about Mary in Chapter 30?
4. What impression does Mr. Bridgenorth get from meeting Jem?
5. Where do the police find the murder weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary's first thought when she sees her father after returning from Liverpool?
2. How do the Sturgis' try to revive Mary when she faints at their house?
3. Why does Jem leave Mary to return to Manchester?
4. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
5. How does Will Wilson say he will return to the shore?
6. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
7. What alibi is found for Jem?
8. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
9. What does Mary stay up all night doing at the Sturgis' house?
10. How does Mary end up going home with one of the sailors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Industrial Revolution and its role in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Gaskell's use of symbolism in the novel "Mary Barton".
Essay Topic 3
The central theme of the novel, "Mary Barton" is the social differences between the rich and the poor. How are they treated in society? What struggles must each class face? Are they at all similar? How do they view one another?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)