|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jem suggest that he and Mary might immigrate to?
2. Who does Job receive a letter from at the courthouse?
3. Who grabs Mary by the arm at the end of Chapter 28?
4. Who does Mary see is slowly dying in Chapter 22?
5. What information does Jem decide not to share with John Barton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charley Jones clarify about the John Cropper sailing out?
2. How does Mary end up going home with one of the sailors?
3. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
4. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
5. Why does Jem leave Mary to return to Manchester?
6. What alibi is found for Jem?
7. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
8. What does Esther find at the scene of the Carson murder?
9. What does Mary stay up all night doing at the Sturgis' house?
10. How does Jane Wilson feel about Jem and Mary as a couple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the end of the novel. Were you satisfied with the ending? Did it surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the antagonist of the story? Why? Give examples from the text to illustrate your points.
Essay Topic 3
Gaskell uses language to make the characters more vivid and realistic. Discuss how Gaskell uses dialect and regional works to bring the Lancashire world to life.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)