|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Mary want to ask Job the meaning of?
2. What does Mr. Carson refuse to do until his son's killer is sentenced?
3. In Liverpool, to where does Mary ask directions from a police officer?
4. What does Jem ask his mother for before he returns to Liverpool?
5. What does Jem worry about returning to life in Manchester?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
2. What effect does the summons to testify against her son have on Jane Wilson?
3. What alibi is found for Jem?
4. How do the Sturgis' try to revive Mary when she faints at their house?
5. What does Mary stay up all night doing at the Sturgis' house?
6. How has Alice Wilson's stroke affected her, and who cares for her?
7. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
8. Why does Margaret tell her grandfather that Mary should be the one to search for Will?
9. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
10. How does Jane Wilson feel about Jem and Mary as a couple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The murder of a mill owner in the story is based on the real murder of a factory owner in 1831 Manchester. Compare and contrast the real story with the fictional story in the novel "Mary Barton".
Essay Topic 2
A number of the working class characters of the novel "Mary Barton" strive to raise their social status. Discuss who does this and how they go about doing so.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the end of the novel. Were you satisfied with the ending? Did it surprise you? Why or why not?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)