|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Mary hire a boat to catch up with Will?
2. Whose handwriting does Esther recognize on the piece of paper?
3. In Liverpool, to where does Mary ask directions from a police officer?
4. Where does Mrs. Jones say Will has gone?
5. Where is Harry Carson murdered?
Essay Topic 1
The central theme of the novel, "Mary Barton" is the social differences between the rich and the poor. How are they treated in society? What struggles must each class face? Are they at all similar? How do they view one another?
Essay Topic 2
Love and romance are used to balance with the serious tone of the workers' struggle with the mill owners. Discuss the romance of Mary and Jem and its purpose in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Gaskell's use of symbolism in the novel "Mary Barton".
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)