|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mary's boat has reached the John Cropper, how does Will say he will return to shore?
2. Why does Sally Leadbitter go to Mary's house in Chapter 25?
3. Who does Mary think the woman at her door at the end of Chapter 20 is?
4. Where does Jem suggest that he and Mary might immigrate to?
5. On what condition will Miss Simmonds welcome Mary back to her seamstress job?
Essay Topic 1
Generosity is a recurring motif in the novel "Mary Barton". Discuss the characters and their generosity in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The murder of a mill owner in the story is based on the real murder of a factory owner in 1831 Manchester. Compare and contrast the real story with the fictional story in the novel "Mary Barton".
Essay Topic 3
A number of the working class characters of the novel "Mary Barton" strive to raise their social status. Discuss who does this and how they go about doing so.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)