|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impression does Mr. Bridgenorth get from meeting Jem?
2. Where does Mary wait at the courthouse?
3. Why would the boat that Mary rode NOT return to the same pier?
4. What word does Mary want to ask Job the meaning of?
5. What is the only food Mary has to eat at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sally Leadbitter say Mary should rethink giving up her job?
2. What does Mary offer the sailors in order to hire a boat?
3. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
4. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
5. What is Mary's first thought when she sees her father after returning from Liverpool?
6. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
7. How does Mary end up going home with one of the sailors?
8. Why does Margaret tell her grandfather that Mary should be the one to search for Will?
9. How does Will Wilson say he will return to the shore?
10. What effect does the summons to testify against her son have on Jane Wilson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The central theme of the novel, "Mary Barton" is the social differences between the rich and the poor. How are they treated in society? What struggles must each class face? Are they at all similar? How do they view one another?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the end of the novel. Were you satisfied with the ending? Did it surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Mary Barton. What are her defining character traits and how does she affect the plot?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)