|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who grabs Mary by the arm at the end of Chapter 28?
2. How is the house that Mary is taken to described in Chapter 31?
3. Who does Jane Wilson blame for Harry Carson's death?
4. Who does Jem learn is dying in Chapter 33?
5. What does a policeman drop off at Mary's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
2. How does Jane Wilson feel about Jem and Mary as a couple?
3. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
4. Why does Margaret tell her grandfather that Mary should be the one to search for Will?
5. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
6. What effect does the summons to testify against her son have on Jane Wilson?
7. How does Will Wilson say he will return to the shore?
8. What does Mary stay up all night doing at the Sturgis' house?
9. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
10. Who does Jane blame for Jem's arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the end of the novel. Were you satisfied with the ending? Did it surprise you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the narrative? How would the story have been different if it were set in a different time? Place?
Essay Topic 3
Gaskell uses language to make the characters more vivid and realistic. Discuss how Gaskell uses dialect and regional works to bring the Lancashire world to life.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)