|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Will Wilson's ship?
2. Who does Mary see is slowly dying in Chapter 22?
3. Who recommends that Mary be the one to track down Will Wilson?
4. What word does Mary want to ask Job the meaning of?
5. What chore is Mrs. Jones carrying out when Job visits her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jane blame for Jem's arrest?
2. What alibi is found for Jem?
3. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
4. What does Jem ask of Job in the letter he writes him?
5. What does Mary stay up all night doing at the Sturgis' house?
6. Why does Jem leave Mary to return to Manchester?
7. How do the Sturgis' try to revive Mary when she faints at their house?
8. How does Will Wilson say he will return to the shore?
9. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
10. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The central theme of the novel, "Mary Barton" is the social differences between the rich and the poor. How are they treated in society? What struggles must each class face? Are they at all similar? How do they view one another?
Essay Topic 2
A number of the working class characters of the novel "Mary Barton" strive to raise their social status. Discuss who does this and how they go about doing so.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the narrative? How would the story have been different if it were set in a different time? Place?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)