|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary lose from her pocket upon returning to the shore in Chapter 28?
2. Whose handwriting does Esther recognize on the piece of paper?
3. Where does Mrs. Jones say Will has gone?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the Carson sisters?
5. What do Margaret and Mary observe about Alice when they visit her in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
2. How does Mary end up going home with one of the sailors?
3. How do the Sturgis' try to revive Mary when she faints at their house?
4. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
5. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
6. Why does Sally Leadbitter say Mary should rethink giving up her job?
7. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
8. Why does Margaret tell her grandfather that Mary should be the one to search for Will?
9. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
10. Why does Jem leave Mary to return to Manchester?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gaskell uses language to make the characters more vivid and realistic. Discuss how Gaskell uses dialect and regional works to bring the Lancashire world to life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the work of the author, Elizabeth Gaskell, and determine how this novel compares to her other works.
Essay Topic 3
Death is a recurring motif in the novel "Mary Barton". Discuss the deaths in the novel. What purpose do they serve? Why would Gaskell feature so many deaths in the narrative?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)