|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose handwriting does Esther recognize on the piece of paper?
2. Where does Mary wait at the courthouse?
3. What lie does Job tell Jane about Mary in Chapter 30?
4. What does Mary suffer at the beginning of Chapter 33?
5. Why would the boat that Mary rode NOT return to the same pier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charley Jones clarify about the John Cropper sailing out?
2. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
3. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
4. What is Mary's first thought when she sees her father after returning from Liverpool?
5. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
6. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
7. How does Mary realize that her father is the true murderer?
8. What does Mary stay up all night doing at the Sturgis' house?
9. How has Alice Wilson's stroke affected her, and who cares for her?
10. How does Mary end up going home with one of the sailors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the female characters of the novel. How are they portrayed in the novel? Do you believe that having a female author affected the portrayal of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the narrative? How would the story have been different if it were set in a different time? Place?
Essay Topic 3
Chartism was a workers' movement from the 1830's to 1850. Discuss chartism and its role in the novel.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)