|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers Esther a place to stay in Chapter 14?
2. In Chapter 14, what do we learn happened to Esther's daughter?
3. Who does Jem Wilson rescue from the burning building in Chapter 5?
4. Which of her relatives does Alice take into her home?
5. Who are the Green Hey Fields popular with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message do John's neighbors tell him to share in London?
2. What does Will Wilson hope to accomplish when he next sails out?
3. Why does John Barton suggest the Carsons will be pleased at their mill burning down?
4. What happens when John Barton runs into his sister-in-law Esther in the street?
5. When Alice Wilson invites Mary to tea to meet Margaret, what does Mary do before she goes to Alice's house?
6. What does Jem do to anger young Mary Barton?
7. What happens when Mrs. Barton goes into labor in Chapter 3?
8. What organization has John Barton joined in Chapter 15?
9. When Jem Wilson visits the Bartons at the beginning of Chapter 8, how does Mary treat him?
10. How does the author describe the factory girls at the Green Hey Fields?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chartism was a workers' movement from the 1830's to 1850. Discuss chartism and its role in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Rebellion is a recurring motif of the novel "Mary Barton". Discuss rebellion in the novel and what causes the characters to rebel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the novel "Mary Barton"? Why? Support your response with ample evidence from the text.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)