|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is "Mary Barton" set in?
2. What ails John Barton in Chapter 12?
3. What talent does Margaret exhibit in Chapter 4?
4. What building catches fire in Chapter 5?
5. Who continually accosts Mary on her way to work in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Jane Wilson tell Mary about her son Jem's plans?
2. What happens to the Wilson twins in Chapter 7?
3. What serious measure do the Charists decide to take in Chapter 16?
4. Why does John Barton go to London in Chapter 8?
5. What does Will Wilson hope to accomplish when he next sails out?
6. Why is John Barton upset upon his return from London?
7. What resolution do Mr. Barton and his daughter make after Mrs. Barton's death?
8. Why does Esther tell Jem she is concerned for Mary?
9. How does Alice come to live in Manchester?
10. What impedes John Barton's ability to find work in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rebellion is a recurring motif of the novel "Mary Barton". Discuss rebellion in the novel and what causes the characters to rebel.
Essay Topic 2
The murder of a mill owner in the story is based on the real murder of a factory owner in 1831 Manchester. Compare and contrast the real story with the fictional story in the novel "Mary Barton".
Essay Topic 3
The central theme of the novel, "Mary Barton" is the social differences between the rich and the poor. How are they treated in society? What struggles must each class face? Are they at all similar? How do they view one another?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)