|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the message of Job's reading to John?
2. Who is Sally Leadbitter?
3. Who does George Wilson ask for money in Chapter 6?
4. How do the Chartists decide who will murder one of the mill masters?
5. What does Mary get at her job in addition to her wages?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary react to Jem Wilson's marriage proposal?
2. What does Jem do to anger young Mary Barton?
3. According to the story she told Jem, what happened in Esther's life since she disappeared years earlier?
4. How does John Barton help the Davenport family?
5. How does Alice come to live in Manchester?
6. Where are the Bartons at the beginning of the novel?
7. What story does Job Legh tell about going to London?
8. What job does Mary find and how is she compensated for her work?
9. What message do John's neighbors tell him to share in London?
10. Why is John Barton upset upon his return from London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters of the novel "Mary Barton" face many trials along the way, yet, for the most part, they remain hopeful. Discuss the recurring motif of hope in the novel "Mary Barton".
Essay Topic 2
A number of the working class characters of the novel "Mary Barton" strive to raise their social status. Discuss who does this and how they go about doing so.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Mary Barton. What are her defining character traits and how does she affect the plot?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)