|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affliction does Margaret tell Mary she suffers from?
2. Who does Will Wilson wish to marry?
3. Which character is a Chartist?
4. What does Alice propose a toast to?
5. Who does Jem Wilson rescue from the burning building in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jem Wilson visits the Bartons at the beginning of Chapter 8, how does Mary treat him?
2. What resolution do Mr. Barton and his daughter make after Mrs. Barton's death?
3. How does the author describe the factory girls at the Green Hey Fields?
4. Why does Esther tell Jem she is concerned for Mary?
5. Recount the confrontation between Jem and Harry Carson in the street.
6. What happens when Mrs. Barton goes into labor in Chapter 3?
7. According to the story she told Jem, what happened in Esther's life since she disappeared years earlier?
8. What happens when John Barton runs into his sister-in-law Esther in the street?
9. Why is John Barton upset upon his return from London?
10. What story does Job Legh tell about going to London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How does the setting affect the narrative? How would the story have been different if it were set in a different time? Place?
Essay Topic 2
Love and romance are used to balance with the serious tone of the workers' struggle with the mill owners. Discuss the romance of Mary and Jem and its purpose in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Generosity is a recurring motif in the novel "Mary Barton". Discuss the characters and their generosity in the novel.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)