|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary wear to Liverpool?
(a) A red smock.
(b) A navy trenchcoat.
(c) A green coat.
(d) A blue gown.
2. After Mary's boat has reached the John Cropper, how does Will say he will return to shore?
(a) He will return by land at the next stop.
(b) In the pilot's boat.
(c) He will continue his journey until the boat reaches its destination.
(d) He will swim.
3. On what condition will Miss Simmonds welcome Mary back to her seamstress job?
(a) On the condition that Mary take a pay cut.
(b) On the condition that Mary behaves herself.
(c) On the condition that Mary ends her association with Jem.
(d) On the condition that Mary gets married.
4. Where does Mary find bullets and a package of gun powder?
(a) In her father's drawer.
(b) Her father's coat pocket.
(c) On the back porch.
(d) In the cellar.
5. Why does Sally Leadbitter go to Mary's house in Chapter 25?
(a) Sally has news to share.
(b) Sally wants to hear gossip.
(c) Sally misses Mary.
(d) Sally is bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary wait at the courthouse?
2. For what service does Mary earn a little bit of money in Chapter 35?
3. Whose name is written on the wad of paper Esther finds in the hedge?
4. After learning the identity of his son's murderer, what does Henry Carson do?
5. In Chapter 31, rather than sleep at night, what does Mary do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
2. What does Charley Jones clarify about the John Cropper sailing out?
3. How do the Sturgis' try to revive Mary when she faints at their house?
4. Why does Margaret tell her grandfather that Mary should be the one to search for Will?
5. What does Mary offer the sailors in order to hire a boat?
6. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
7. What does Jem ask of Job in the letter he writes him?
8. What is Mary's first thought when she sees her father after returning from Liverpool?
9. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
10. How does Mary realize that her father is the true murderer?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)