|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Charley tell Job the boat Mary rode has gone?
(a) To Paris.
(b) To London.
(c) To Cheshire.
(d) To Edinburgh.
2. Where does Mrs. Jones say Will has gone?
(a) Will has sailed out.
(b) Will has returned to Manchester.
(c) Will has left for London.
(d) Will has run off without informing anyone.
3. What does the young boy that Mary runs into in the street beg her for?
4. What is the only food Mary has to eat at home?
(c) Raw oatmeal.
5. What impression does Mr. Bridgenorth get from meeting Jem?
(a) That Jem is capable of murder.
(b) That Jem is scared of going to jail.
(c) That Jem knows something about the murder.
(d) That Jem is not capable of murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the house that Mary is taken to described in Chapter 31?
2. On what condition will Miss Simmonds welcome Mary back to her seamstress job?
3. Where does Mary say she has no intention to return to in Chapter 25?
4. For what service does Mary earn a little bit of money in Chapter 35?
5. Who does Mary listen to speaking about Jem's case on her way to Liverpool?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Esther hide the truth about her living situation from Mary when she visits her?
2. What does Charley Jones clarify about the John Cropper sailing out?
3. What lie does Job tell Jane Wilson in Chapter 30?
4. What evidence is there against Jem in the Carson murder case?
5. What does Jem ask of Job in the letter he writes him?
6. What effect does the summons to testify against her son have on Jane Wilson?
7. How does Mary end up going home with one of the sailors?
8. What does Esther find at the scene of the Carson murder?
9. What alibi is found for Jem?
10. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)