|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jane feel about her son's affection for Mary?
2. Instead of money, what does Mary offer two sailors as pay?
(a) Her hat.
(b) Her shawl.
(c) Her watch.
(d) Her ring.
3. What does Jem worry about returning to life in Manchester?
(a) That his mother will become ill.
(b) That Mary will be unhappy.
(c) That his life in Manchester will be dramatically different than it was before the trial.
(d) That he may not be able to find work as his reputation is tarnished.
4. After learning the identity of his son's murderer, what does Henry Carson do?
(a) Henry goes home and reads the bible.
(b) Henry visited Harry's grave.
(c) Henry contacts the police.
(d) Henry visits his lawyer.
5. Whose name is written on the wad of paper Esther finds in the hedge?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary lose from her pocket upon returning to the shore in Chapter 28?
2. What does a policeman drop off at Mary's house?
3. What obstacle must Will's ship overcome before sailing out to sea?
4. On what day is Harry Carson murdered?
5. What is Jane Wilson's condition when Mary goes to see her at the beginning of Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jem leave Mary to return to Manchester?
2. How does Mary end up going home with one of the sailors?
3. How does Jane Wilson feel about Jem and Mary as a couple?
4. What does Jem ask of Job in the letter he writes him?
5. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
6. How do the Sturgis' try to revive Mary when she faints at their house?
7. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
8. How is Harry Carson murdered and where is the murder weapon found?
9. What effect does the summons to testify against her son have on Jane Wilson?
10. How does Mary realize that her father is the true murderer?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)