|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day is Harry Carson murdered?
(a) A Monday.
(b) A Wednesday.
(c) A Thursday.
(d) A Sunday.
2. Why does Mary ask a doctor to declare Jane Wilson unfit to travel?
(a) So that Mary can save Jem on her own.
(b) So that Mary does not have to travel with Jane.
(c) So that Jane can rest some more.
(d) So that Jane won't have to testify at Jem's trial.
3. Where is Harry Carson murdered?
(a) In the factory.
(b) In the street.
(c) In the woods.
(d) In his house.
4. How do Mary and Margaret decide to help Jane in Chapter 19?
(a) They will help with Jane's correspondence.
(b) They will take over the household duties.
(c) They will accompany Jane on her errands.
(d) They will take shifts looking after Alice.
5. How is the house that Mary is taken to described in Chapter 31?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what service does Mary earn a little bit of money in Chapter 35?
2. Who does Job receive a letter from at the courthouse?
3. In Chapter 31, rather than sleep at night, what does Mary do?
4. What does Jem worry about returning to life in Manchester?
5. After learning the identity of his son's murderer, what does Henry Carson do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Esther find at the scene of the Carson murder?
2. How does Will Wilson say he will return to the shore?
3. Why does Mary want the doctor to declare Jane too sick to travel?
4. What alibi is found for Jem?
5. Why does Margaret tell her grandfather that Mary should be the one to search for Will?
6. How does Mary realize that her father is the true murderer?
7. What does Charley Jones clarify about the John Cropper sailing out?
8. Where does Mary look for Will when she reaches Liverpool?
9. Who does Jane blame for Jem's arrest?
10. Why does Jem leave Mary to return to Manchester?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)