|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of her relatives does Alice take into her home?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her nephew.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her niece.
2. Why does Margaret tell Mary not to chase Jem?
(a) Jem is rude and vulgar.
(b) It isn't lady-like.
(c) Jem is poor.
(d) Because men like to do the courting.
3. Who does Jem Wilson rescue from the burning building in Chapter 5?
(a) His mother.
(b) John Barton.
(c) His father.
(d) His employer.
4. What has Alice just been doing when she meets Miss Barton?
(a) Playing music.
(b) Hanging clothes.
(c) Picking herbs.
(d) Writing a letter.
5. How many children do the Wilsons have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What talent does Margaret exhibit in Chapter 4?
2. What is Mr. and Mrs. Barton's daughter named?
3. What country is "Mary Barton" set in?
4. Who is Mr. Wilson's wife?
5. What affliction does Margaret tell Mary she suffers from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the factory girls at the Green Hey Fields?
2. Recount the confrontation between Jem and Harry Carson in the street.
3. When Jem Wilson visits the Bartons at the beginning of Chapter 8, how does Mary treat him?
4. Why is John Barton's health suffering in Chapter 12?
5. What advice does Margaret offer Mary about her feelings for Jem?
6. What does Mrs. Barton say Alice should bring with her to tea?
7. What job does Mary find and how is she compensated for her work?
8. What story does Job Legh tell about going to London?
9. What effect does the burning of the Carson mill have on the mill's workers?
10. How does John Barton help the Davenport family?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)