|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a Chartist?
(a) A hospital volunteer.
(b) A member of a secret society.
(c) A political lobbyist.
(d) A member of a radical worker's rights group.
2. What is Alice's friend Margaret's last name?
3. What country is "Mary Barton" set in?
4. What does Will Wilson do for a living?
(a) Will is a shoemaker.
(b) Will is a sailor.
(c) Will is a dyer.
(d) Will is a writer.
5. What has Margaret found a job doing at the end of Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What disability does Alice begin to suffer in Chapter 10?
2. What city are the Green Hey Fields located outside?
3. Who is Mr. Wilson's wife?
4. Who is Esther?
5. What happens to Mrs. Barton in the middle of the night in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alice Wilson invites Mary to tea to meet Margaret, what does Mary do before she goes to Alice's house?
2. What effect does the burning of the Carson mill have on the mill's workers?
3. How does John Barton help the Davenport family?
4. What impedes John Barton's ability to find work in Chapter 10?
5. Where are the Bartons at the beginning of the novel?
6. What happens to the Wilson twins in Chapter 7?
7. How does Mary react to Jem Wilson's marriage proposal?
8. What job does Mary find and how is she compensated for her work?
9. In Chapter 10, what does Jane Wilson tell Mary about her son Jem's plans?
10. What advice does Margaret offer Mary about her feelings for Jem?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)