|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Bartons invite the Wilsons to their home for?
(a) To play croquet.
(b) To sing songs.
(c) To have tea.
(d) To play cards.
2. Jane chastises Mary for not visiting her sooner after which event?
(b) Alice Willson's illness.
(c) George Wilson's death.
(d) Jem's engagement.
3. Where was Margaret living when her parents died?
4. Which important people hold a meeting in Chapter 16?
(a) The mill owners.
(b) The Chartists.
(c) The working class.
(d) The Parliament.
5. Who does Esther want to save from following in her footsteps?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Job Legh have a passion for collecting?
2. Who does Jane say Alice is awaiting a letter from?
3. What is the message of Job's reading to John?
4. What occupation has Jem Wilson taken on?
5. Who does Alice never see again after moving to Manchester?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will Wilson hope to accomplish when he next sails out?
2. Why is John Barton's health suffering in Chapter 12?
3. What message do John's neighbors tell him to share in London?
4. What organization has John Barton joined in Chapter 15?
5. What does Mrs. Barton say Alice should bring with her to tea?
6. Why is Mrs. Barton upset in the first two chapters of the novel?
7. What does Jem do to anger young Mary Barton?
8. Where are the Bartons at the beginning of the novel?
9. What story does Job Legh tell about going to London?
10. Why does John Barton go to London in Chapter 8?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)