|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described as "a back-biting enemy of John Barton's"?
(a) George Wilson.
(b) Henry Carson.
(c) Ben Davenport.
(d) Tom Darbyshire.
2. Who does Will Wilson wish to marry?
3. Jane chastises Mary for not visiting her sooner after which event?
(a) Jem's engagement.
(b) Alice Willson's illness.
(c) George Wilson's death.
4. In Chapter 10, why is it even harder for John to find work?
(a) The mill owners know John went to the government.
(b) John is sickly.
(c) John can't get a letter of reference from the Carsons.
(d) More mills have closed.
5. Who is Mr. Wilson's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Esther told she is responsible for in Chapter 10?
2. What happens to Mrs. Barton in the middle of the night in Chapter 3?
3. What is Ben Davenport ill with in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Esther want to keep a distance from people?
5. How do the Chartists decide who will murder one of the mill masters?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Jane Wilson tell Mary about her son Jem's plans?
2. Why does John Barton suggest the Carsons will be pleased at their mill burning down?
3. Where are the Bartons at the beginning of the novel?
4. How does the author describe the factory girls at the Green Hey Fields?
5. What happens to the Wilson twins in Chapter 7?
6. Why is Mrs. Barton upset in the first two chapters of the novel?
7. What serious measure do the Charists decide to take in Chapter 16?
8. What does Mrs. Barton say Alice should bring with her to tea?
9. What does Will Wilson hope to accomplish when he next sails out?
10. What resolution do Mr. Barton and his daughter make after Mrs. Barton's death?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)