|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only food Mary has to eat at home?
(b) Raw oatmeal.
2. What impression does Mr. Bridgenorth get from meeting Jem?
(a) That Jem is capable of murder.
(b) That Jem knows something about the murder.
(c) That Jem is scared of going to jail.
(d) That Jem is not capable of murder.
3. Whose handwriting does Esther recognize on the piece of paper?
(b) Jem Wilson's.
(c) Henry Carson's.
(d) Her father's.
4. Who informs the Carson sisters of their brother's murder?
(a) Their father.
(b) Their nurse.
(c) Their uncle.
(d) Their tutor.
5. What does Mary admit in her testimony?
(a) That she loves Jem.
(b) The she killed Harry Carson.
(c) That she loved Harry Carson.
(d) That her father killed Harry Carson.
6. Who grabs Mary by the arm at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) The old boatman.
(b) Jem Wilson.
(c) A young sailor.
(d) Will Wilson.
7. Which of the following is NOT one of the Carson sisters?
8. What pier does Mary depart from on the boat to take her to the John Cooper?
(a) "Prince's Pier".
(b) "Princess' Pier."
(c) "King's Pier".
(d) "Queen's Pier."
9. Who does Mary see is slowly dying in Chapter 22?
(b) Jane Wilson.
(c) Her father.
10. Why does Sally Leadbitter go to Mary's house in Chapter 25?
(a) Sally has news to share.
(b) Sally misses Mary.
(c) Sally is bored.
(d) Sally wants to hear gossip.
11. What does Esther pawn her clothing to purchase?
(c) A present for Mary.
(d) Presentable clothing.
12. Who does Job receive a letter from at the courthouse?
(a) Mr. Bridgenorth.
(b) Jem Wilson.
(d) John Barton.
13. What expression does the old boatman's wife like to use?
(a) "It's all part of God's plan."
(b) "And so on."
(d) "My darling child!"
14. What does Henry Carson offer as a reward for the capture of his son's murderer?
(a) Five hundred pounds.
(b) Two thousand pounds.
(c) One thousand pounds.
(d) Four thousand pounds.
15. What does Mary wear to Liverpool?
(a) A navy trenchcoat.
(b) A red smock.
(c) A blue gown.
(d) A green coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the house that Mary is taken to described in Chapter 31?
2. After Mary's boat has reached the John Cropper, how does Will say he will return to shore?
3. How does Jane feel about her son's affection for Mary?
4. What word does Mary want to ask Job the meaning of?
5. Where does Jem suggest that he and Mary might immigrate to?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)