|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What slows the boat for most of the journey?
(a) The water is rough.
(b) The wind is against the boat.
(c) The sail is damaged.
(d) There is not enough manpower.
2. Who recommends that Mary be the one to track down Will Wilson?
3. Who does Mary see is slowly dying in Chapter 22?
(b) Jane Wilson.
(d) Her father.
4. Who is Mrs. Jones?
(a) A dressmaker in Liverpool.
(b) A secretary in Liverpool.
(c) The owner of a carriage for rent.
(d) The owner of a lodging home.
5. What is the only food Mary has to eat at home?
(a) Raw oatmeal.
6. In Liverpool, to where does Mary ask directions from a police officer?
(a) To Water-Shed Yard.
(b) To Milk-House Yard.
(c) To Rum-Barn Yard.
(d) To Wine-Lodge Yard.
7. What word does Mary want to ask Job the meaning of?
8. Where does Jem suggest that he and Mary might immigrate to?
9. Who does Jem learn is dying in Chapter 33?
(a) Alice Wilson.
(b) Job Legh.
(c) His mother.
(d) Henry Carson.
10. What impression does Mr. Bridgenorth get from meeting Jem?
(a) That Jem is scared of going to jail.
(b) That Jem knows something about the murder.
(c) That Jem is capable of murder.
(d) That Jem is not capable of murder.
11. For what service does Mary earn a little bit of money in Chapter 35?
(a) For serving as a witness.
(b) For taking notes during the trial.
(c) For tutoring her neighbor.
(d) For mending a woman's gown in Liverpool.
12. Who is the lawyer that Job hires?
(a) Mr. Alleyeast.
(b) Mr. Roadwest.
(c) Mr. Bridgenorth.
(d) Mr. Streetsouth.
13. Where is Harry Carson murdered?
(a) In the woods.
(b) In the factory.
(c) In the street.
(d) In his house.
14. What obstacle must Will's ship overcome before sailing out to sea?
(a) A sandbar.
(b) A storm.
(c) The tide.
(d) A shortage of crew.
15. Who informs the Carson sisters of their brother's murder?
(a) Their tutor.
(b) Their uncle.
(c) Their father.
(d) Their nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day is Harry Carson murdered?
2. Where does Mrs. Jones say Will has gone?
3. What is the family name of the old boatman?
4. Whose name is written on the wad of paper Esther finds in the hedge?
5. Who does Jane Wilson blame for Harry Carson's death?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)