|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the lawyer that Job hires?
(a) Mr. Bridgenorth.
(b) Mr. Roadwest.
(c) Mr. Streetsouth.
(d) Mr. Alleyeast.
2. What does the young boy that Mary runs into in the street beg her for?
3. Where does Jem suggest that he and Mary might immigrate to?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the Carson sisters?
5. What excuse does Jem use to return to Liverpool quickly?
(a) Jem has a job interview in Liverpool.
(b) Jem is being harassed in Manchester.
(c) Jem wants to allow Job to return to Manchester.
(d) Jem has left important documents in Liverpool.
6. Which of the following do the old boatman and his wife NOT use to try to revive Mary from fainting?
(a) A burnt feather.
(b) Cold water.
(c) Smelling salts.
7. What is the name of Will Wilson's ship?
(a) The Magellan.
(b) The Queen Victoria.
(c) The John Cropper.
(d) The Prince Albert.
8. What impression does Mr. Bridgenorth get from meeting Jem?
(a) That Jem is not capable of murder.
(b) That Jem is capable of murder.
(c) That Jem is scared of going to jail.
(d) That Jem knows something about the murder.
9. What slows the boat for most of the journey?
(a) The sail is damaged.
(b) The water is rough.
(c) There is not enough manpower.
(d) The wind is against the boat.
10. What word does Mary want to ask Job the meaning of?
11. What does Mary wear to Liverpool?
(a) A blue gown.
(b) A green coat.
(c) A navy trenchcoat.
(d) A red smock.
12. What do Margaret and Mary observe about Alice when they visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Alice cannot speak properly.
(b) Alice is talking to herself.
(c) Alice seems to think she is a child.
(d) Alice is improving, but still has a long way to go.
13. Who is Mrs. Jones?
(a) A secretary in Liverpool.
(b) The owner of a carriage for rent.
(c) A dressmaker in Liverpool.
(d) The owner of a lodging home.
14. On what condition will Miss Simmonds welcome Mary back to her seamstress job?
(a) On the condition that Mary take a pay cut.
(b) On the condition that Mary behaves herself.
(c) On the condition that Mary gets married.
(d) On the condition that Mary ends her association with Jem.
15. What information does Jem decide not to share with John Barton?
(a) The Mary is emigrating.
(b) That Margaret has died.
(c) That he and Mary are married.
(d) That Mary is very ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recommends that Mary be the one to track down Will Wilson?
2. What does Henry Carson offer as a reward for the capture of his son's murderer?
3. Why does Mary ask a doctor to declare Jane Wilson unfit to travel?
4. What is the family name of the old boatman?
5. Who grabs Mary by the arm at the end of Chapter 28?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)