|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Mary's boat has reached the John Cropper, how does Will say he will return to shore?
(a) He will swim.
(b) In the pilot's boat.
(c) He will return by land at the next stop.
(d) He will continue his journey until the boat reaches its destination.
2. What pier does Mary depart from on the boat to take her to the John Cooper?
(a) "Queen's Pier."
(b) "Princess' Pier."
(c) "King's Pier".
(d) "Prince's Pier".
3. What is the family name of the old boatman?
4. Where does Mrs. Jones say Will has gone?
(a) Will has returned to Manchester.
(b) Will has sailed out.
(c) Will has run off without informing anyone.
(d) Will has left for London.
5. How is Harry Carson murdered?
(a) Harry is strangled.
(b) Harry is shot.
(c) Harry is drowned.
(d) Harry is stabbed.
6. How is the house that Mary is taken to described in Chapter 31?
7. Where are the sons of the old boatman?
(a) Working in London.
(b) Sailing to America.
(c) Sailing to China and the Baltic.
(d) Staying with relatives in Bath.
8. Whose handwriting does Esther recognize on the piece of paper?
(a) Her father's.
(b) Henry Carson's.
(c) Jem Wilson's.
9. What information does Jem decide not to share with John Barton?
(a) That Margaret has died.
(b) That Mary is very ill.
(c) That he and Mary are married.
(d) The Mary is emigrating.
10. Why does Mary ask a doctor to declare Jane Wilson unfit to travel?
(a) So that Mary can save Jem on her own.
(b) So that Jane can rest some more.
(c) So that Mary does not have to travel with Jane.
(d) So that Jane won't have to testify at Jem's trial.
11. Who informs the Carson sisters of their brother's murder?
(a) Their tutor.
(b) Their nurse.
(c) Their uncle.
(d) Their father.
12. What does Jem worry about returning to life in Manchester?
(a) That he may not be able to find work as his reputation is tarnished.
(b) That his life in Manchester will be dramatically different than it was before the trial.
(c) That his mother will become ill.
(d) That Mary will be unhappy.
13. What excuse does Jem use to return to Liverpool quickly?
(a) Jem wants to allow Job to return to Manchester.
(b) Jem is being harassed in Manchester.
(c) Jem has a job interview in Liverpool.
(d) Jem has left important documents in Liverpool.
14. Where does Charley tell Job the boat Mary rode has gone?
(a) To Cheshire.
(b) To London.
(c) To Edinburgh.
(d) To Paris.
15. Who does Jane Wilson blame for Harry Carson's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Job offer Charley to escort Mary home should she show up at the Jones'?
2. Whose name is written on the wad of paper Esther finds in the hedge?
3. What expression does the old boatman's wife like to use?
4. Who does Mary listen to speaking about Jem's case on her way to Liverpool?
5. Who does Jem learn is dying in Chapter 33?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)