|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what activities is John Barton involved in Chapter 4?
(a) Neighborhood watch activities.
(b) Workers' Union activities.
(c) Economic stimulation activities.
(d) Environmental activities.
2. What city does John Barton have to travel to in Chapter 8?
3. What does Mrs. Barton ask Alice to bring with her to the Barton's home?
(a) A croquet club.
(b) A song book.
(c) A tea cup.
(d) A cake.
4. Who does Alice offend with her toast?
(a) Mr. Barton.
(b) Mrs. Wilson.
(c) Mrs. Barton.
(d) Mr. Wilson.
5. How old is Mr. and Mrs. Barton's daughter at the beginning of the novel?
(a) She is thirteen years old.
(b) She is sixteen years old.
(c) She is eleven years old.
(d) She is eighteen years old.
6. What is the message of Job's reading to John?
(a) That God will help the poor at the end of their days.
(b) That no one should be trusted.
(c) That life isn't fair.
(d) That it is up to the poor to find their way through.
7. Who is described as "a back-biting enemy of John Barton's"?
(a) George Wilson.
(b) Ben Davenport.
(c) Henry Carson.
(d) Tom Darbyshire.
8. What does Mary realize about Jem in Chapter 11?
(a) That she hates Jem.
(b) That she loves Jem.
(c) That Jem is a liar.
(d) That Jem is rich.
9. When does "Mary Barton" take place?
(a) Around the 1870s to1880s.
(b) Around the 1930s to1940s.
(c) Around the 1900s to 1910s.
(d) Around the 1830s to1840s.
10. Who dies in Chapter 7 of the novel?
(a) George Wilson.
(b) Alice Wilson.
(c) The Wilson twins.
(d) Jane Wilson.
11. Which character is a Chartist?
(a) John Barton.
(b) Mary Barton.
(c) Jem Wilson.
(d) Harry Carson.
12. What does Mary hope she will be able to give Jem once she becomes a rich wife?
(a) A new suit.
(c) A birthday party.
(d) A pocket watch.
13. In Chapter 8, what does John fear Jane Wilson will die from?
14. Where was Margaret living when her parents died?
15. What happens to Mrs. Barton in the middle of the night in Chapter 3?
(a) Mrs. Barton has a fall.
(b) Mrs. Barton develops a fever.
(c) Mrs. Barton goes into labor.
(d) Mrs. Barton is attacked.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Green Hey Fields popular with?
2. Who does Alice never see again after moving to Manchester?
3. What document created by Harry Carson angers the Chartists?
4. Which tradeworkers are on strike in Chapter 15?
5. Who does Jane think Jem will ask to marry him?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)