|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what activities is John Barton involved in Chapter 4?
(a) Workers' Union activities.
(b) Economic stimulation activities.
(c) Environmental activities.
(d) Neighborhood watch activities.
2. What ails John Barton in Chapter 12?
(a) A spranged ankle.
(b) A drug addiction.
(c) A broken leg.
(d) A burst eardrum.
3. Who gives John Barton a suit to wear for his trip in Chapter 8?
(a) Alice Wilson.
(b) Mrs. Davenport.
(c) Job Legh.
(d) Mrs. Wilson.
4. What is Alice's friend Margaret's last name?
5. What do John's neighbors describe as "th' ruin of poor folk"?
(b) Short winter days.
(d) The rich.
6. Who does Alice never see again after moving to Manchester?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sister.
7. What is Esther released from in Chapter 14?
(a) A contract.
(b) The workhouse.
(d) The hospital.
8. Where was Margaret living when her parents died?
9. What document created by Harry Carson angers the Chartists?
(a) A caricature.
(b) A letter of recommendation.
(c) A contract.
(d) A treaty.
10. Who does Jane think Jem will ask to marry him?
(a) Margaret Jennings.
(b) A shop girl.
(c) Sally Leadbitter.
11. What is Mary reading when Jem Wilson visits her home in Chapter 8?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) A letter from a relation.
(d) A book of poems.
12. Why does Esther want to keep a distance from people?
(a) Esther is shy.
(b) Esther feels overwhelming guilt.
(c) Esther is an alcoholic.
(d) Esther has a contagious disease.
13. What does John Barton buy with the money he pawned his belongings for?
(a) Food and fuel.
(c) A jacket.
14. Why is John Barton upset when he returns home in Chapter 9?
(a) John has been fired from his job.
(b) The government officials laughed at him.
(c) John was too sick to plead his case in London.
(d) The government officials wouldn't hear him out.
15. What does John Barton do for a living?
(a) John is a vicar.
(b) John is a teacher.
(c) John works as a farmer.
(d) John works in a factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Esther?
2. Who does Alice offend with her toast?
3. What medical condition befalls Alice WIlson in Chapter 16?
4. In Chapter 8, who is the message from that Sally delivers to Mary?
5. Who does Will Wilson wish to marry?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)