|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies in Chapter 7 of the novel?
(a) The Wilson twins.
(b) George Wilson.
(c) Jane Wilson.
(d) Alice Wilson.
2. In Chapter 10, why is it even harder for John to find work?
(a) John is sickly.
(b) The mill owners know John went to the government.
(c) More mills have closed.
(d) John can't get a letter of reference from the Carsons.
3. What does Esther work as to make money?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A prostitute.
(c) A seamstress.
(d) A weaver.
4. In Chapter 14, what do we learn happened to Esther's daughter?
(a) She lost her sight.
(b) She emigrated to Canada.
(c) She died.
(d) She married a clergyman.
5. What happens to Mrs. Barton in the time it takes her husband to return from fetching the doctor?
(a) Mrs. Barton loses consciousness.
(b) Mrs. Barton recovers.
(c) Mrs. Barton gives birth.
(d) Mrs. Barton dies.
6. What does John use to stave off hunger?
7. What does Alice propose a toast to?
(a) Absent friends.
(b) A prosperous New Year.
(c) Good health.
(d) The lady of the house.
8. Who does Alice never see again after moving to Manchester?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her father.
9. What document created by Harry Carson angers the Chartists?
(a) A treaty.
(b) A letter of recommendation.
(c) A contract.
(d) A caricature.
10. Who is Job Legh?
(a) Margaret's grandfather.
(b) Margaret's neighbor.
(c) Margaret's husband.
(d) Margaret's uncle.
11. Jane chastises Mary for not visiting her sooner after which event?
(a) Jem's engagement.
(c) Alice Willson's illness.
(d) George Wilson's death.
12. What do John and Mary begin to do to raise money?
(a) Collect trash.
(b) Pawn their belongings.
(d) Sell fruit.
13. Which character is a Chartist?
(a) Mary Barton.
(b) Jem Wilson.
(c) John Barton.
(d) Harry Carson.
14. Who does George Wilson ask for money in Chapter 6?
(a) Henry Carson.
(b) John Barton.
(c) Jem Wilson.
(d) Alice Wilson.
15. What does Harry Carson offer to do for Mary if it will make her happy?
(a) Giver her father a job.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Buy her nice clothes.
(d) Leave her alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jem Wilson rescue from the burning building in Chapter 5?
2. What is Esther released from in Chapter 14?
3. Who does Jane think Jem will ask to marry him?
4. In what activities is John Barton involved in Chapter 4?
5. Who is John Barton chosen to speak to about the bad working conditions in Manchester?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)