|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Alice offend with her toast?
(a) Mrs. Barton.
(b) Mr. Wilson.
(c) Mrs. Wilson.
(d) Mr. Barton.
2. What does John Barton do for a living?
(a) John is a vicar.
(b) John is a teacher.
(c) John works in a factory.
(d) John works as a farmer.
3. In Chapter 11, who does Mary begin to ignore at work?
(a) Sally Leadbitter.
(b) Alice Wilson.
(c) Margaret Jennings.
(d) Miss Simmonds.
4. What does Will Wilson do for a living?
(a) Will is a dyer.
(b) Will is a shoemaker.
(c) Will is a writer.
(d) Will is a sailor.
5. Who does Jem hit in the street?
(a) Harry Carson.
(b) Will Wilson.
(c) Henry Carson.
(d) John Barton.
6. What talent does Margaret exhibit in Chapter 4?
(a) A talent for cooking.
(b) A talent for painting.
(c) A talent for writing.
(d) A talent for singing.
7. Who does Jem Wilson rescue from the burning building in Chapter 5?
(a) John Barton.
(b) His employer.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
8. Who are the Green Hey Fields popular with?
(a) The middle class.
(b) The upper class.
(c) The aristocracy.
(d) The working class.
9. Which of her relatives does Alice take into her home?
(a) Her nephew.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her niece.
10. In what activities is John Barton involved in Chapter 4?
(a) Neighborhood watch activities.
(b) Environmental activities.
(c) Economic stimulation activities.
(d) Workers' Union activities.
11. What is the message of Job's reading to John?
(a) That it is up to the poor to find their way through.
(b) That no one should be trusted.
(c) That life isn't fair.
(d) That God will help the poor at the end of their days.
12. What happens to Mrs. Barton in the time it takes her husband to return from fetching the doctor?
(a) Mrs. Barton gives birth.
(b) Mrs. Barton loses consciousness.
(c) Mrs. Barton dies.
(d) Mrs. Barton recovers.
13. What happens to Mrs. Barton in the middle of the night in Chapter 3?
(a) Mrs. Barton is attacked.
(b) Mrs. Barton goes into labor.
(c) Mrs. Barton has a fall.
(d) Mrs. Barton develops a fever.
14. Which tradeworkers are on strike in Chapter 15?
15. What has Alice just been doing when she meets Miss Barton?
(a) Playing music.
(b) Hanging clothes.
(c) Picking herbs.
(d) Writing a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as "a back-biting enemy of John Barton's"?
2. What is Ben Davenport ill with in Chapter 6?
3. How do the Chartists decide who will murder one of the mill masters?
4. In Chapter 14, where do we learn Esther opened a shop?
5. What disability does Alice begin to suffer in Chapter 10?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)