Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Preface; Chapter 1 and Chapter 2
1. Where are the Bartons at the beginning of the novel?
2. How does the author describe the factory girls at the Green Hey Fields?
3. Why is Mrs. Barton upset in the first two chapters of the novel?
4. What does Jem do to anger young Mary Barton?
5. What comment do two rude boys make about young Mary Barton in Chapter 2?
6. What does Mrs. Barton say Alice should bring with her to tea?
This section contains 860 words|
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)