|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. His father was a lawyer and Marx also went to law school. What did Marx do during law school?
(a) He spent more time having fun than studying.
(b) He spent many hours studying.
(c) He spent more time studying than making friends.
(d) He spent more time studying philosophy than studying law.
2. While working at this company, what did Engels see?
(a) The beautiful work of the artisans.
(b) The wretched life of the poor working class.
(c) The well-oiled capitalist machine.
(d) The difficulties of the wealthy.
3. Hegel's predecessor wanted to separate science from religion. What did Hegel want to do?
(a) Make science separate from religion.
(b) Make religion very different from science.
(c) Make science into religion.
(d) Make religion into a science.
4. What does Rius think about some of Marx's work?
(a) They are interesting;
(b) They are hard to digest and understand,
(c) They are easy to understand.
(d) They are useless.
5. Many thinkers were looking for answers about what?
(a) Mankind and the eternal questions that exist.
(b) How mankind came to exist.
(c) What has created space.
(d) How many planets exist in the galaxy.
6. How much of Marx's work does Rius want to present?
(a) Only one piece of writing.
(b) Most of it.
(c) A sample.
(d) All of it.
7. Engels was the son of whom?
(a) A wealthy banker.
(b) A lord.
(c) A peasant.
(d) A wealthy textile merchant.
8. Marx concerned himself less with making a living than doing what?
(a) Making art.
(c) Spending time in nature.
(d) Asking the meaning of life.
9. In Paris, Marx met the German, _____________, who has a significant impact on Marx.
(a) Frederick Engels.
(b) Marcus Engels.
(c) George Engels.
(d) Gregory Engels.
10. Rius suggests what about non-Communists?
(a) They are all conservatives.
(b) They spend their time arguing about Communism.
(c) They hate Marx.
(d) They do not understand Marx.
11. Some of the things indirectly owed to Marx include what?
(a) Social Security, scholarships, pensions, and unions.
(b) Social Security, pensions, unions, and conservatives.
(c) Unions, scholarships, salaries, and political parties.
(d) The Republican Party, Social Security, pensions, and big business.
12. For whom did Engels work for awhile?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
13. Marx and Engels were commissioned to write what?
(a) The Cartagena Manifesto.
(b) The Anarchist Manifesto.
(c) The Surrealist Manifesto.
(d) The Communist Manifesto.
14. Why was Jenny's father concerned about her marrying Marx?
(a) He had no money or work.
(b) He did not like Marx's ideas.
(c) He was very wealthy and well-known.
(d) He did not believe Marx loved his daughter.
15. Karl Marx, or Charles Marx, was a Jewish German who lived when?
(a) From 1838 to 1903.
(b) From 1828 to 1893.
(c) From 1808 to 1873.
(d) From 1818 to 1883.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marx courted Jenny Von Westphalen who came from what type of family?
2. This book is to be ___________________ of Marx.
3. The author says that others might think that Marxism is being simplified down for whom?
4. How did Marx's father feel about him studying philosophy?
5. What does Rius believe is worth trying?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)