|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the North described as during the "antebellum" period?
2. Which U.S. President did King claim would not speak in major Southern cities?
3. At what age did King join the Ebenezer Baptist Church?
4. On what date did King make his first major speech to the nation?
(a) May 17, 1957.
(b) January 31, 1961.
(c) July 4, 1943.
(d) August 12, 1971.
5. What did Malcolm copy from to teach himself to read and write?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Shakespeare's plays.
(c) The Koran.
(d) The dictionary.
6. What was Malcolm X's birth name?
(a) Malcolm Smith.
(b) Malcolm Little.
(c) Malcolm Black.
(d) Malcolm Drake.
7. What was the South described as during the "antebellum" period?
8. What was the name of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s wife?
9. What magazine called Malcolm X "an unashamed demagogue"?
(a) The New Yorker.
(c) The Washington Times.
10. In what type of store did Martin Luther King, Jr. and his father experience racism together?
(a) A shoe store.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A general store.
(d) A book store.
11. According to Cone, who did blacks in the ghettos turn to for hope?
(a) Elijah Muhammad.
(b) Malcolm X.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr.
12. What did Malcolm claim was "seventh heaven" in Chapter 2?
(a) New York City.
13. What did the person who called King after a steering committee meeting threaten to do if King did not leave town in three days?
(a) Blow up King's church.
(b) Kill King and blow up his home.
(c) Bomb King's next rally.
(d) Kill King's wife and daughter.
14. What was the name of the weekly column that Malcolm wrote for African-American newspapers?
(a) "God's Angry Men."
(b) "One Voice."
(c) "Of What I Stand For."
(d) "The American Nightmare."
15. Where did King make his first major speech to the nation?
(a) The Washington Monument.
(b) The Lincoln Memorial.
(c) The Library of Congress.
(d) The lawn of the White House.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Fugitive Slave Act passed?
2. Whom did the Introduction name as the most persuasive person in pointing out the hypocrisies of the Declaration of Independence?
3. In what year did Malcolm convert to Islam?
4. How tall was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
5. How many children did Malcolm's mother raise on her own after her husband's death?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)