|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William Stendahl hope to recreate on Mars?
2. How far away does Gripp eventually drive away from Marlin Village?
3. How do the fathers punish the boys when they return home?
4. Who bans Stendahl from building the house on Earth?
5. Why did Selsor stay behind on Mars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does LaFarge continually question Tom about his presence and what happens when he does?
2. Describe the game the young Earth boys play that disturbs and disgusts the parents.
3. Why do Sam and his wife escape into the sand ship and what leads them to return to their hotdog stand?
4. How do the people on Earth send messages to the people on Mars and what message repeats constantly?
5. How is the role of mankind reversed in this chapter and what feelings are experienced by the people on Mars.
6. What comes to Mars that many of the Earth people particularly left Earth to escape?
7. How does the author let the reader know that the family that once lived in the autonomously run house has been killed in the atomic blast?
8. What is ironic about the way the real Garrett and the house itself are destroyed? What does Stendahl tell Garrett about his demise?
9. What do the new inhabitants of Mars call the elderly people who have begun to come to Mars?
10. What does Teece see as a victory at the end of the chapter even though the blacks had gotten into the rockets and have left Earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the idea of belief systems rearranged and changed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the novel to show the changes as they occur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What do the Martians such as Mrs. Ttt and Mr. Aaa represent in American society? Why do you believe this is this case? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the colonization of Mars change throughout the novel? Do you believe the changes represent a circle? In what way or why not?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)