|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sam demand leave his shop?
2. How long does Gripp drive to get away from Selsor?
3. What does Pikes substitute for Garrett after he is killed?
4. What kind of storms have taken over Mars?
5. Where do Sam and his wife Elma open their shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the way the real Garrett and the house itself are destroyed? What does Stendahl tell Garrett about his demise?
2. Why does Hathaway believe he and his family are going to be rescued and how long as he been waiting to be rescued?
3. What two events surprise Wilder while he is at Hathaway's home after he has landed his rocket?
4. What causes the destruction of the house and how does the house react?
5. Why does LaFarge continually question Tom about his presence and what happens when he does?
6. Why do Sam and his wife escape into the sand ship and what leads them to return to their hotdog stand?
7. How does the author let the reader know that the family that once lived in the autonomously run house has been killed in the atomic blast?
8. How does Timothy recognize that his family is not really on a vacation?
9. What happens to the boys when they return to their homes after playing the sick game with the dead Martians?
10. Why does Walter Gripp suddenly try calling the largest beauty salon on Mars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the intrusion on Earth affects the lives of those inhabiting Mars. What comparisons on Earth can you make to this sub-plot? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
How does the colonization of Mars change throughout the novel? Do you believe the changes represent a circle? In what way or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of racism described in this novel? Do you believe the author is providing a realistic picture of racism by his descriptions within the chapter? Why or why not?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)