|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the McClellans?
2. How far away does Gripp eventually drive away from Marlin Village?
3. What happens at 9:00?
4. Who did the sophisticates bring next to Mars?
5. What are Hathaway's other family members?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the game the young Earth boys play that disturbs and disgusts the parents.
2. What do you think LaFarge hears in the backyard and why does he bolt the door and not explore the noise?
3. For what was the town called Red Town named?
4. Why do you believe Father Peregrine purchases a new valise before he leaves the luggage store?
5. Why do the owner of the luggage store and Father Peregrine believe that people will no longer be coming to Mars?
6. Why does Walter Gripp suddenly try calling the largest beauty salon on Mars?
7. Describe how Genevieve appears to Gripp the first time he sees her and how does this compare to his imagination?
8. Why do Sam and his wife escape into the sand ship and what leads them to return to their hotdog stand?
9. What does Stendahl reply when asked what he is planning to do with the house?
10. What happens to the boys when they return to their homes after playing the sick game with the dead Martians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the idea of belief systems rearranged and changed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the novel to show the changes as they occur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the people that came to inhabit Mars never truly felt it was their home. Why is this the case? How does the author show this throughout the novel? Provide specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the intrusion on Earth affects the lives of those inhabiting Mars. What comparisons on Earth can you make to this sub-plot? Support your answers.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)