|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do many of the Earthlings headed for Mars feel a need to escape?
2. What season is it when the story opens?
3. How do the guards classify the first two attempts to head toward Mars?
4. What fills the Dead Sea during some seasons?
5. Which of the following terms best describes the dreams experienced during August of 1999?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the inhabitants refer to this time as "Rocket Summer"?
2. Why does Black find that many of his crew members are abandoning the rocket ship?
3. What happens to the climate as the rocket launches?
4. Why does Yll continue to become more and more annoyed with his wife, Ylla?
5. In what way is Muhe's name alone a suggestion of a different time reference?
6. How would you describe the plot line for this first chapter of the novel?
7. Why was Driscoll spurred to take action about the atmosphere on Mars and what action did he take?
8. What is the House in reality?
9. What is the purpose of this very short chapter and how is it important for the reader?
10. How many cities were created and how did the women help to make them more homey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the idea of belief systems rearranged and changed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the novel to show the changes as they occur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how telepathy played a part in the difficulties with the Martians and the Earthlings. Would these things have happened if the Martians did not use telepathy? Why do you believe that is the case?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the main plot line of the novel. What chapters are critical to providing key information to the overall plot line? Why do you believe these are the case?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)