|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which insect does the author use to describe the rockets landing on Mars?
2. What year does the woman claim it is when they arrive at the Marian town of 'Green Bluff'?
3. What does Mr. Xxx declare Williams?
4. How would you describe the feeling of all of the Martians during this time of singing foreign tunes?
5. Where did the construction materials for the colonization of Mars come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe where Mr. and Mrs. K live.
2. What are some of the reasons that the Earthlings had for coming to and settling on Mars?
3. How does the author convey the sense of importance at the rocket launch?
4. What is the House in reality?
5. How does Yll take care of the problem of Captain York?
6. How do Gomez and Muhe communicate and what do they realize about their attempt to converse?
7. What is the reader left to infer that the author is referencing by using the term 'green star'?
8. How do the first settlers feel about their time on Mars and what happens to change this feeling?
9. How is the second expedition received on the planet of Mars?
10. Why do the inhabitants refer to this time as "Rocket Summer"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of racism described in this novel? Do you believe the author is providing a realistic picture of racism by his descriptions within the chapter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the chapter called Usher II which is directly related to Edgar Allen Poe? Is it important that it be included? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the main plot line of the novel. What chapters are critical to providing key information to the overall plot line? Why do you believe these are the case?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)