|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ylla agree to stay home?
2. Why does Ylla's husband say that it is impossible for individuals to live on Earth?
3. What does this chapter show the beginning of?
4. When was this novel written?
5. Where are all of the settlers of Mars from so far?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theme of this chapter and what does this chapter show between the Earth races and the Martians?
2. How do the Martians feel about about the strange happenings?
3. How does Yll take care of the problem of Captain York?
4. What does the character of Pritchard represent in American society?
5. How does this chapter show that Spendor's assumptions about the Earthlings ruining Mars was coming true?
6. What does Pritchard's arrest represent as well as his reaction to the arrest?
7. Why was Driscoll spurred to take action about the atmosphere on Mars and what action did he take?
8. What happens to the climate as the rocket launches?
9. How is the second expedition received on the planet of Mars?
10. Describe where Mr. and Mrs. K live.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the feeling of justice portrayed throughout the novel? Which characters leave the reader with a feeling of justice? How does the author convey this feeling to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Atomic war is portrayed in this novel. Describe how it is portrayed, then make a realization as to your own personal belief as to the presence of atomic and nuclear weapons in modern society.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the intrusion on Earth affects the lives of those inhabiting Mars. What comparisons on Earth can you make to this sub-plot? Support your answers.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)