|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rises over Mars?
2. Which insect does the author use to describe the rockets landing on Mars?
3. What is the agreement that Williams has signed?
4. Who comes to visit the explorers the next morning?
5. How does Gomez come to think of his discussion with Muhe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the climate as the rocket launches?
2. What theory does Black have about finding the deceased relatives on Mars?
3. In what way is Muhe's name alone a suggestion of a different time reference?
4. What is the reader left to infer that the author is referencing by using the term 'green star'?
5. How do the Martians feel about about the strange happenings?
6. Why do the inhabitants refer to this time as "Rocket Summer"?
7. Why does Yll continue to become more and more annoyed with his wife, Ylla?
8. What are some of the reasons that the Earthlings had for coming to and settling on Mars?
9. How many cities were created and how did the women help to make them more homey?
10. How would you describe the plot line for this first chapter of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the intrusion on Earth affects the lives of those inhabiting Mars. What comparisons on Earth can you make to this sub-plot? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of the novel, many characters choose solitude over companionship. Why do you believe the characters make this choice? Can you ever see a time when you might make this choice? Explain your reasons.
Essay Topic 3
How is the idea of belief systems rearranged and changed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the novel to show the changes as they occur throughout the novel.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)