|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the fourth expedition to Mars land?
2. What are the amphitheaters made of where the Martians gather?
3. Where were Williams and his crew members placed?
4. Which insect does the author use to describe the rockets landing on Mars?
5. What season is it when the story opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Martians feel about about the strange happenings?
2. How can the reader infer that a second expedition will be happening soon?
3. Why was Driscoll spurred to take action about the atmosphere on Mars and what action did he take?
4. What theory does Black have about finding the deceased relatives on Mars?
5. What do the rockets do to the planet that causes significant trauma to the planet?
6. How do Gomez and Muhe communicate and what do they realize about their attempt to converse?
7. Why does Black find that many of his crew members are abandoning the rocket ship?
8. How does this chapter show that Spendor's assumptions about the Earthlings ruining Mars was coming true?
9. What is the purpose of this very short chapter and how is it important for the reader?
10. Describe where Mr. and Mrs. K live.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the feeling of justice portrayed throughout the novel? Which characters leave the reader with a feeling of justice? How does the author convey this feeling to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
How is governmental control and and overpowering nature described throughout the novel? Do you believe the government is still overpowering? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how telepathy played a part in the difficulties with the Martians and the Earthlings. Would these things have happened if the Martians did not use telepathy? Why do you believe that is the case?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)