|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of background do most of the Americans come from who colonize Mars?
2. Which of the following is a synonym for exodus as used in the following sentence? Rather than building a new civilization, the mass exodus from Earth is simply rebuilding the Earth.
3. When was this novel written?
4. Who made up the first waves of settlers to Mars?
5. Which term best describes how Mars is being colonized in relation to Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the House in reality?
2. How does this chapter show that Spendor's assumptions about the Earthlings ruining Mars was coming true?
3. What theory does Black have about finding the deceased relatives on Mars?
4. What is the purpose of this very short chapter and how is it important for the reader?
5. How does Mr. Xxx feel about his own belief system and what choices would he make because of it?
6. Why does Yll continue to become more and more annoyed with his wife, Ylla?
7. Why do the inhabitants refer to this time as "Rocket Summer"?
8. How can the reader infer that a second expedition will be happening soon?
9. How do the first settlers feel about their time on Mars and what happens to change this feeling?
10. Describe where Mr. and Mrs. K live.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the main plot line of the novel. What chapters are critical to providing key information to the overall plot line? Why do you believe these are the case?
Essay Topic 2
How is the feeling of justice portrayed throughout the novel? Which characters leave the reader with a feeling of justice? How does the author convey this feeling to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How is the idea of belief systems rearranged and changed throughout the novel? Use specific examples from the novel to show the changes as they occur throughout the novel.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)