|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Driscoll oxygenate Mars?
(a) Removing all of the native fruit plants
(b) Planting trees
(c) Releasing oxygen tanks
(d) Draining the canals
2. Where does Muhe indicate that Gomez is from?
3. What threatens Earth and changes the make-up of the second wave?
4. What season is it when the story opens?
5. What makes the sound which startles Gomez as he gets out of the car and watches the Martian night?
(a) His great-grandfather
(b) A Martian parade
(c) Martian gas station attendant
(d) Praying mantis machine with a Martian driving
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Mr. Xxx hold?
2. What do the Martians gather to do?
3. What was Driscoll given to help him plant seeds across Mars?
4. How do the Martians read?
5. What do the carpenters begin doing on Mars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unexpected about the second wave of men and what event on Earth causes the wave to have this unexpected outcome?
2. What disease did the Earthlings bring to Mars which killed the Martians, and how did the disease affect the Martians?
3. What is different about the first wave of men from America and the second wave of men from America?
4. How can the reader infer that a second expedition will be happening soon?
5. How do the first settlers feel about their time on Mars and what happens to change this feeling?
6. What is the purpose of this very short chapter and how is it important for the reader?
7. What is the theme of this chapter?
8. How would you describe the plot line for this first chapter of the novel?
9. How do Gomez and Muhe communicate and what do they realize about their attempt to converse?
10. Describe the cities built on Mars.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)