|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ethnicity is fleeing Earth for Mars in this chapter?
(a) Asian Americans
(b) African Americans
(c) Hispanic Americans
(d) Native Americans
2. In which Poe story was the death the same as the manner in which the real Garrett died?
(a) The Cask of Amontillado
(b) The Raven
(c) The Murder in the Rue Morgue
(d) The Fall of the House of Usher
3. Why did the Thomas family tell people they were going to Mars?
(a) To retrieve people left behind
(b) To rebuild Mars
(d) To live
4. Which of the following characters offers to take Silly's place as a worker?
(d) Grandpa Quartermain
5. What has killed most of the Martians?
(b) Chicken pox
(c) Themselves (suicide)
(d) Rocket ships
6. What color does the face of the Martian seem to be?
7. What surprise do Sam and Elma find in the rear seat of their own sand ship?
(a) A Martian female
(b) Their dead son
(c) A government official
(d) The same Martian male they had just killed
8. Which of the following does Stendahl not blame for for the small laws which he feels prevent him from doing what he would like to do?
(a) Political biases
9. What kind of pain does Hathaway suffer from during this chapter?
10. What animal were the robotic house cleaners designed after?
11. What does the family burn to keep warm at night?
(a) Family history papers
(b) Government papers
(d) Abandoned homes
12. What has Mars become with the arrival of the elderly?
(a) A generational society
(b) A microcosm of Martian society
(d) A copy of Earth
13. What do the two men believe will happen to the hundred thousand people who are due to arrive on Mars in the next few weeks?
(a) They will arrive early
(b) They will not come
(c) They will all be killed
(d) They will find another planet on which to hide
14. Which continent was obliterated according to the messages?
(c) North America
15. What are Hathaway's other family members?
(d) Other Earth people who had gone insane
Short Answer Questions
1. What tragedy happened to LaFarge and his wife?
2. What animal kills Garrett as he comes to investigate the House of Usher?
3. What does Hathaway do to celebrate what he believes is his eminent rescue?
4. What new category of people has begun to travel to Mars?
5. What does Teece tell Belter will happen to the rocket?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)