|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following major cities was reported to have been invaded by the Morse-code messages?
(a) Washington, DC
2. Which of the following characters believes he is the last human being left on Mars?
(a) Walter Gripp
(b) Sam Parkhill
(c) Genevieve Selsor
(d) Father Peregrine
3. Where do Sam and his wife Elma open their shop?
(a) In line with the mineral deposits
(b) Beside where the rockets land
(c) Beside the canal
(d) Near the luggage shop
4. Where do the boys hike?
(a) Mountains of ashes from the burnt bodies
(b) Newest deserted Martian towns
(c) White snow covered mountains
(d) Crystal mountains
5. How long have many of the settlers lived on Mars at this time?
(a) 3-4 years
(b) 1-2 years
(c) 5-10 years
(d) 20-30 years
6. How does the Thomas family arrive on Mars?
(a) Military vehicle
(b) Government vehicle
(c) Martian car
(d) Family rocket
7. What do the parents of the boys do when the boys return home?
(a) Make them show them how to play the game
(b) Make them tell the firemen what they did
(c) Make them take a bath
(d) Make them pray
8. What are Hathaway's other family members?
(c) Other Earth people who had gone insane
9. Which of the following is the correct order of people that colonized Mars?
(a) Pioneers, elderly, sophisticates, government, workers
(b) Pioneers, government, workers, elderly, sophisticates
(c) Pioneers, workers, sophisticates, government, elderly
(d) Pioneers, sophisticates, workers, government, elderly
10. Why did the Thomas family tell people they were going to Mars?
(a) To live
(c) To retrieve people left behind
(d) To rebuild Mars
11. What happens at 9:00?
(a) Earth begins to burn
(b) Mars catches on fire
(c) Settlers gather and destroy all Martians
(d) The Earth explodes
12. What happened to the McClellans?
(a) They died
(b) The moved to another Earth town
(c) They moved to Mars
(d) They are on the rocket on its way back from Mars
13. What new category of people has begun to travel to Mars?
14. What term does the author use to describe the elderly?
(a) Mummy people
(b) Unwanted people
(c) Useless people
(d) Seasoned people
15. What does Hathaway do to celebrate what he believes is his eminent rescue?
(a) Sets the town of New New York on fire
(b) Opens a bottle of wine
(c) Prays at the graveyard
(d) Digs for archeological remains
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two men discussing the war believe will happen to the people who are living on Mars?
2. Where does Walter Gripp live?
3. With what does Sam threaten the Martian?
4. What destroyed many of the buildings and people in Allendale, California?
5. What traps Tom?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)