|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Thomas family tell people they were going to Mars?
(a) To retrieve people left behind
(b) To live
(c) To rebuild Mars
2. Who made the prediction that Mars would become an altered planet by the new settlers?
3. What ethnicity is fleeing Earth for Mars in this chapter?
(a) Asian Americans
(b) Hispanic Americans
(c) African Americans
(d) Native Americans
4. How did Father Peregrine describe the fighting during the war in China when he was a boy?
5. In which Poe story was the death the same as the manner in which the real Garrett died?
(a) The Murder in the Rue Morgue
(b) The Cask of Amontillado
(c) The Raven
(d) The Fall of the House of Usher
6. What do the Martians present Sam with which makes Sam delirious with delight?
(b) Land deeds
(c) Hot dog supplies
(d) Sand ships
7. What tax was abolished?
8. Who did the Pioneers bring next to Mars?
9. Where does William show the family Martians?
(a) In the graveyards
(b) In the historical buildings
(c) In the mountains
(d) Reflection in the canal
10. What color does the face of the Martian seem to be?
11. Where does Walter Gripp live?
12. After what did the settlers name Spendor Hill?
(a) Where Spendor killed his crew mates
(b) Where Spendor's crew landed
(c) Where Spendor sat thinking about what to do
(d) Where Spendor was killed by his captain
13. What term does the author use to describe the elderly?
(a) Unwanted people
(b) Seasoned people
(c) Mummy people
(d) Useless people
14. What kind of storms have taken over Mars?
15. How long have many of the settlers lived on Mars at this time?
(a) 3-4 years
(b) 5-10 years
(c) 20-30 years
(d) 1-2 years
Short Answer Questions
1. What new category of people has begun to travel to Mars?
2. What does Pikes substitute for Garrett after he is killed?
3. What does Sam Parkhill open on Mars that is the first of its kind?
4. How do the people on Earth let the people on Mars know what is going on on Earth?
5. What animal were the robotic house cleaners designed after?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)