|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have many of the settlers lived on Mars at this time?
(a) 5-10 years
(b) 1-2 years
(c) 20-30 years
(d) 3-4 years
2. What surprise do Sam and Elma find in the rear seat of their own sand ship?
(a) The same Martian male they had just killed
(b) A government official
(c) Their dead son
(d) A Martian female
3. What animal were the robotic house cleaners designed after?
4. Which of the following does Stendahl not blame for for the small laws which he feels prevent him from doing what he would like to do?
(a) Political biases
5. Who did the Pioneers bring next to Mars?
6. With what does Sam threaten the Martian?
(a) A shotgun
(b) The disease
(c) Turning him over to the authorities
7. How long does Gripp drive to get away from Selsor?
(a) Three days and nights
(b) Six days and nights
(c) Five days and nights
(d) Four days and nights
8. What does William say was the downfall of Earth?
(a) Financial institutions
9. Which of the following could best describe how the planet Mars has changed?
(a) It has become more and more ethnically divided
(b) It has become more Earth-like
(c) It has become more and more uncontrollable
(d) It has become polluted
10. What is reported to have happened to a man named Nomland who lived near the canal?
(a) Murdered by Tom
(b) Has seen and gone with Martians
(c) Has taken the human form of Tom
(d) Committed suicide
11. What does Pikes substitute for Garrett after he is killed?
12. What happens to the McClellans' house at the end of the chapter?
(b) Continues on
(c) Simply falls apart
13. What ethnicity is fleeing Earth for Mars in this chapter?
(a) Asian Americans
(b) Native Americans
(c) African Americans
(d) Hispanic Americans
14. What new portion of civilization does the author indicate has begun to settle on Mars?
(a) Non-American settlers
(b) Middle class
15. Why did the Thomas family tell people they were going to Mars?
(a) To live
(b) To rebuild Mars
(c) To retrieve people left behind
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam Parkhill open on Mars that is the first of its kind?
2. Why did Selsor stay behind on Mars?
3. Where does Walter Gripp live?
4. Who bans Stendahl from building the house on Earth?
5. What are Hathaway's other family members?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)