|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to many women that night?
(a) Awake from dreams
(b) Get pregnant
(c) Run out of their own own homes
2. What can the reader infer will be soon to follow on Mars as they are rebuilding a near replica of Earth?
(a) A new start with only the promised changes from Earth
(b) Desire for more people to move to Mars
(c) Same limitations of Earth
(d) Same turmoil that the Martians experienced
3. In what year does the book open?
4. Which term best describes the reasons Earthlings have for settling on Mars?
(b) The same
5. How is Pritchard hauled away from the rocket?
(a) Straight jacket
(b) Police wagon
(d) Asylum wagon
6. Which group seems to be most affected by the happenings on Mars?
7. What do the children recite?
(a) Cuss words
8. How would you describe the feeling of all of the Martians during this time of singing foreign tunes?
(a) Full of resignation
(b) Full of cold fear
(c) Full of dreams
(d) Full of hot anger
9. What does the captain believe the Martians can teach the men?
(a) How to party and have fun
(b) How to be humble and civilized
(c) How to build great buildings
(d) How to rebuild a population base
10. What does Biggs do which angers Spendor significantly?
(a) Smokes and drinks and becomes more rowdy
(b) Attacking his fellow crew mates
(c) Making fun of the Martians
(d) Drops empty bottles in the canal
11. Why does the woman singing on the stage run away frightened?
(a) She does not recognize the words she sang
(b) She is afraid of the people looking at her
(c) She does not know the other person on the stage
(d) She is afraid of the men who are approaching the stage
12. What does Muhe try to explain to Gomez?
(a) That the Martian race is not dead
(b) How to build a praying mantis machine
(c) That stars are the key to the universe
(d) How to drink the wine from the canals
13. How many Martian cities were wiped out by the chicken pox?
(a) 1 out of 8
(b) 9 out of 10
(c) 4 out of 5
(d) 7 out of 8
14. What is Driscoll doing when he first begins to feel the rain?
(a) Riding his motorcycle
(b) Digging holes
(c) Lying by the fire
(d) Planting trees
15. Which adjectives describe how Spendor thinks the first night should be spent?
(a) Loud and rowdy
(b) Quiet and reflective
(c) Spiritual and reflective
(d) Relaxed and calm
Short Answer Questions
1. What melts the image of winter?
2. Which of the following terms best describes how Williams feels when Mrs. Ttt slams the door in his face?
3. What does Ylla do in a foreign tongue?
4. How many days did Driscoll spend planting thousands of seeds?
5. Why does Ylla agree to stay home?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)