Short Essay Questions Key
1. How would you describe the plot line for this first chapter of the novel?
I would describe the plot line for this first chapter of the novel as occurring somewhere in Ohio with a rocket ready to launch.
2. How does the author convey the sense of importance at the rocket launch?
The author conveys the sense of importance at the rocket launch by showing how the population around it changes its behavior as it prepares and launches.
3. What happens to the climate as the rocket launches?
The climate changes significantly as the rocket launches. The snow turns to heated rains and the land becomes soaked with the melting snow.
4. Why do the inhabitants refer to this time as "Rocket Summer"?
The inhabitants refer to this time as Rocket Summer because the heat from the launch of the rocket changes the weather.
5. Describe where Mr. and Mrs. K live.
Mr. and Mrs. K live in a ten-century year old house with crystal pillars, next to a dead sea which sometimes fills with wine from the nearby trees. Their home is cooled from water that flows from ceiling to floor and fruit grows from within the walls.
This section contains 2,903 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)