January 1999: Rocket Summer
* The story opens in Ohio during a brisk winter.
* Children are sledding while their mothers watch over them in fur coats.
* Suddenly the air becomes extremely warm as a rocket launches from a nearby field.
* The launch melts the snow.
* It causes the snow to change to rain and the land to become soaked with the melted snow.
* The inhabitants think that this winter should be named "Rocket Summer" instead.
February 1999: Ylla
* The scene shifts to Mars where Mr. and Mrs. K's house is described.
* It is very different from one on Earth (crystal pillars, wine in the sea, water running through the walls cools the house, fruit grows in the walls).
* Ylla and Yll are the names of Mr. and Mrs. K. They are married but Ylla is unhappy in the marriage.
* Ylla begins to dream of a tall, blue-eyed man with black hair...
This section contains 2,441 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)