|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character states that he/she will take responsibility for what takes place in the garden?
2. What does Marceline reveal?
3. Who does the Count accidentally hit as a result of the shocking kiss?
4. What does Antonio think that Fanchette needs to learn?
5. What is the Count's reason for wooing Suzanne in terms of his relationship with the Countess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the literary element of characterization in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How are the major characters portrayed as opposed to the minor characters. What are their motivations? What are there struggles? Finally, how are the characters able to work symbiotically to move the storyline to its climax?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the aspect of verbal comedy as portrayed by the characters in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How is verbal comedy defined, and how is it used as an effective tool? Provide 2 specific scenes in which verbal comedy is performed. Describe the effectiveness of such a comedic performance in a farce.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the play's theme of "love conquers desire" is shown throughout the play. Name the scenes in which the theme is most acutely shown. Include several textual examples and provide analysis.
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)