|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is topic of debate that the Count and Figaro DO NOT engage in?
2. If Figaro does not follow court orders, what will result?
3. What is heard in the background as the Count is in utter disbelief at Figaro's manipulations?
4. What is the only phrase that Figaro thinks he needs to know in English?
5. What theater tactic do both Figaro and the Count use to show their true intentions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the aspect of verbal comedy as portrayed by the characters in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How is verbal comedy defined, and how is it used as an effective tool? Provide 2 specific scenes in which verbal comedy is performed. Describe the effectiveness of such a comedic performance in a farce.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motivations for the character of Figaro. How is Figaro inspired? What motivates Figaro into action? Use 3 pieces of textual evidence to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of figurative language in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How are similes, metaphors, alliteration, etc used in developing the structure of the play? Include 2 examples of each form of figurative language in your response.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)