|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Countess say to Suzanne about the meeting in the garden?
2. What are the Count and Figaro essentially out to do?
3. What does the Count offer "Suzanne" to seal their relationship?
4. Who does Figaro admit to flirting with after the Count confronts him?
5. What did Marceline misinterpret the calling for love for Figaro as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the differences (strengths and weaknesses) between an aside and a soliloquy in understanding a play. How are these dramatic tools effective? How are they ineffective? Use the examples in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO and one Shakespeare play of your choice as part of your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the classic elements of irony (dramatic, verbal, and irony of situation) are used in the play. How does irony contribute to the theme of the play? How does irony contribute to the element of farce in the play? Use 3 pieces of dialogue as evidence of your findings.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and Contrast THE BARBER OF SEVILLE and THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO in terms of the elements of commedia dell'arte, farce, and satire. How ar the two plays alike? How are they different? Use specific examples, including the use of recurring characters.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)