|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character steps forward and asks the Count to be merciful as the Countess tries to explain to the Count the reason Cherubin has not left?
2. What does Antonio want Marceline and Bartholo to do?
3. What does Suzanne believe the Count will do during court?
4. What is the name of the judge?
5. Who does the Countess pretend to be as she waits for the Count?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the aspect of verbal comedy as portrayed by the characters in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How is verbal comedy defined, and how is it used as an effective tool? Provide 2 specific scenes in which verbal comedy is performed. Describe the effectiveness of such a comedic performance in a farce.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the differences (strengths and weaknesses) between an aside and a soliloquy in understanding a play. How are these dramatic tools effective? How are they ineffective? Use the examples in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO and one Shakespeare play of your choice as part of your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO is a product of its historic time economically, socially, and politically. How does the play reflect the culture in which it was written?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)