|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character steps forward and asks the Count to be merciful as the Countess tries to explain to the Count the reason Cherubin has not left?
2. Who is an aside spoken directly to when performed onstage?
3. What is the reason the Count gives for thinking he might not take Figaro with him to London?
4. What do Marceline and Bartholo struggle with in terms of Brid-Oisin?
5. What do Suzanne, Figaro, and all the others do in the presence of the Count pleading for the Count's mercy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the aspect of verbal comedy as portrayed by the characters in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How is verbal comedy defined, and how is it used as an effective tool? Provide 2 specific scenes in which verbal comedy is performed. Describe the effectiveness of such a comedic performance in a farce.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the roles of Suzanne and Marceline in their individual relationships with Figaro. What are similar characteristics that they share? What are their opposing characteristics? How do the specific character traits of Suzanne and Marceline affect their relationship with Figaro?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Count's pursuit of women with Cherubin's pursuit of women. in what ways are their actions similar? In what ways are they different? Finally, is the Count justified in his pursuit of women because of his hierarchy and sense of power?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)