|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is left alone in the courtroom?
2. What do the asides expose in the characters?
3. What does Figaro ask his mother to do once the news of his birthright is revealed?
4. Who does Figaro see when he first arrives on the castle grounds?
5. What do the judges agree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the classic elements of irony (dramatic, verbal, and irony of situation) are used in the play. How does irony contribute to the theme of the play? How does irony contribute to the element of farce in the play? Use 3 pieces of dialogue as evidence of your findings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Suzanne's flowers are the only true symbol of the entire play. Explain what the flowers represent in terms of character, theme, and conflict. Use textual references and evidence to support your findings.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the elements of "farce" that are intertwined in both the plot and dialogue of THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. Extract 3 poignant pieces of textual evidence and explain how each piece of evidence is representative of the qualities of a farce.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)