|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bartholo scoff at the idea of Figaro being?
2. Who begins to court the Countess thinking she is Suzanne, just as the Count is approaching?
3. What is the Countess's reason for leaving the ceremony?
4. What does Suzanne agree to as planned?
5. What is Figaro's explanation to the Count as to why he's taken so long to arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the play's theme of "love conquers desire" is shown throughout the play. Name the scenes in which the theme is most acutely shown. Include several textual examples and provide analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the classic elements of irony (dramatic, verbal, and irony of situation) are used in the play. How does irony contribute to the theme of the play? How does irony contribute to the element of farce in the play? Use 3 pieces of dialogue as evidence of your findings.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Count's pursuit of women with Cherubin's pursuit of women. in what ways are their actions similar? In what ways are they different? Finally, is the Count justified in his pursuit of women because of his hierarchy and sense of power?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)