|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Suzanne trying on as Figaro is busy measuring?
2. How does Suzanne explain how Cherubin got away to the Countess?
3. What is Figaro measuring as the play opens?
4. Who tells Suzanne of the Count's intentions concerning the old law?
5. What does Figaro do when he thinks of the Count wanting to woo Suzanne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the conversation between Figaro, Bazile, and Cherubin reveal?
2. What does Antonio mean when he says that no one can be allowed to marry into his family if they have unmarried parents?
3. What does the Countess say to the Count at the end of the play after he's been humiliated?
4. What do Figaro and the servants want to express public thanks for to the Count?
5. What does the Countess promise Suzanne?
6. What do Figaro and Suzanne talk about when they are alone in the room they will marry in?
7. What happens when a group of peasant girls present Suzanne with flowers in honor of her wedding?
8. According to Figaro, how are events supposed to unfold in the garden?
9. What happens as Antonio pulls out a piece of paper that he says fell from the jumper's pocket?
10. What happens when the Count approaches who he thinks is "Suzanne"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of figurative language in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How are similes, metaphors, alliteration, etc used in developing the structure of the play? Include 2 examples of each form of figurative language in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the play's theme of "love conquers desire" is shown throughout the play. Name the scenes in which the theme is most acutely shown. Include several textual examples and provide analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and Contrast THE BARBER OF SEVILLE and THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO in terms of the elements of commedia dell'arte, farce, and satire. How ar the two plays alike? How are they different? Use specific examples, including the use of recurring characters.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)