|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the characters stay to hear Bazile play his music?
2. What does the Count feel he is a victim of?
3. What misfortune does Figaro tease Bartholo about?
4. What is Suzanne trying on as Figaro is busy measuring?
5. What does the Count propose she do that evening instead of either Suzanne or Cherubin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Figaro made arrangements for and how does the Countess react?
2. What does Figaro reveal in his aside?
3. What do Figaro and the servants want to express public thanks for to the Count?
4. What does the conversation between Figaro, Bazile, and Cherubin reveal?
5. What is stated in the letter that is read by Bartholo?
6. What does Figaro tell the Count after the Count insists he pay his debt that day?
7. What does Figaro discuss during his soliloquy?
8. What happens as Antonio pulls out a piece of paper that he says fell from the jumper's pocket?
9. What happens as Figaro and Suzanne are formally presented?
10. What does Figaro plan to do now that he believes he understands the Counts primary motive with the bedroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Suzanne's flowers are the only true symbol of the entire play. Explain what the flowers represent in terms of character, theme, and conflict. Use textual references and evidence to support your findings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of figurative language in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How are similes, metaphors, alliteration, etc used in developing the structure of the play? Include 2 examples of each form of figurative language in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the differences (strengths and weaknesses) between an aside and a soliloquy in understanding a play. How are these dramatic tools effective? How are they ineffective? Use the examples in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO and one Shakespeare play of your choice as part of your analysis.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)