|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Antonio related to?
2. After the Count jumps angrily out from behind the chair, who does he order to drive Cherubin from the court?
3. If Cherubin is discovered, what will they say the Count forgot to do?
4. Which character did the Count catch Cherubin with yesterday in the bedroom?
5. What is heard coming from the dressing room just as the Count comments that it's a good thing Dr. Bartholo is near?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Cherubin has admitted to the Count that his actions have been unwise but that he can be discreet?
2. What does Antonio, the gardener, witness?
3. What is the key farcical action that inflames the Count and encourages him to retrieve his tools?
4. What does the Countess and Suzanne scheme to do to the Count?
5. How does Figaro react to Suzanne explaining the reason why she wants a different bedroom?
6. What happens when a group of peasant girls present Suzanne with flowers in honor of her wedding?
7. What happens when the Count approaches who he thinks is "Suzanne"?
8. How does the Count react to Bazile's request to have the hand of Marceline?
9. What does the Countess say to the Count at the end of the play after he's been humiliated?
10. What happens as Antonio pulls out a piece of paper that he says fell from the jumper's pocket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of women in the play. What are their similarities and what are their difference? How do they assist each other in finding success in love? Include 3 specific scenes in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the literary element of characterization in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How are the major characters portrayed as opposed to the minor characters. What are their motivations? What are there struggles? Finally, how are the characters able to work symbiotically to move the storyline to its climax?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and Contrast THE BARBER OF SEVILLE and THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO in terms of the elements of commedia dell'arte, farce, and satire. How ar the two plays alike? How are they different? Use specific examples, including the use of recurring characters.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)