|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bazile say he wishes to advance his claim for the hand of?
2. What does Figaro playfully tease Marceline about?
3. What does Suzanne do after she enters the room with the dress in hand, unnoticed by either the Count or the Countess?
4. In addition to Figaro, which character is also in on the plot to have Cherubin stay?
5. Where does Figaro tell the Countess she should meet the Count, despite the fact that someone else will take Suzanne's place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Countess and Suzanne scheme to do to the Count?
2. How does Marceline explain her previous affections for Figaro?
3. What does Figaro argue regarding the letter?
4. What does the conversation between Figaro, Bazile, and Cherubin reveal?
5. What does the Countess say to Suzanne regarding the meeting in the garden?
6. What has Figaro made arrangements for and how does the Countess react?
7. What is the significance of Suzanne actions at the opening of Act 1 as Figaro is measuring the floor to determine the best place for the bed?
8. What does the conversation between Marceline and Bartholo reveal?
9. What does Cherubin confess to Suzanne?
10. What does Antonio mean when he says that no one can be allowed to marry into his family if they have unmarried parents?
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the play's theme of "love conquers desire" is shown throughout the play. Name the scenes in which the theme is most acutely shown. Include several textual examples and provide analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the literary element of characterization in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How are the major characters portrayed as opposed to the minor characters. What are their motivations? What are there struggles? Finally, how are the characters able to work symbiotically to move the storyline to its climax?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Tone and Mood of THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How are the tone and mood important to the development of the characters? How do the tone and mood contribute to the action of the character? Use textual examples from 2 scenes in your answer.
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)