|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cherubin act when he runs out of the dressing room?
2. What is the Countess arranging as the Count is heard outside asking why the bedroom door is locked?
3. Who does the Count wonder about as Suzanne and the Countess laughingly comment on the way that Figaro cannot stop his manipulations, who does the Count wonder about?
4. What does the Count say he's going to get out in order to break the door open?
5. How does Fanchette reply when the Count asks where Marceline is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the conversation between Figaro, Bazile, and Cherubin reveal?
2. How does Marceline explain her previous affections for Figaro?
3. How does the Count react to Bazile's request to have the hand of Marceline?
4. Why do Bartholo, Brid-Oisin, Bazile, and Antonio meet Figaro in the pavilion?
5. What happens after Cherubin has admitted to the Count that his actions have been unwise but that he can be discreet?
6. What does the Count muse to himself as he sits in the castle's throne room?
7. What do Figaro and Suzanne talk about when they are alone in the room they will marry in?
8. How do Marceline and Bartholo react to Figaro's proof of his being a gentleman?
9. What happens after the Countess opens the door, explaining as the Count comes in that she and Suzanne needed some privacy when trying on new clothes?
10. What does the Count reveal in his aside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of figurative language in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How are similes, metaphors, alliteration, etc used in developing the structure of the play? Include 2 examples of each form of figurative language in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Count's pursuit of women with Cherubin's pursuit of women. in what ways are their actions similar? In what ways are they different? Finally, is the Count justified in his pursuit of women because of his hierarchy and sense of power?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motivations for the character of Figaro. How is Figaro inspired? What motivates Figaro into action? Use 3 pieces of textual evidence to support your claims.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)