|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marceline have that she says binds Figaro to her?
2. What does the Count propose she do that evening instead of either Suzanne or Cherubin?
3. If Cherubin is discovered, what will they say the Count forgot to do?
4. What misfortune does Figaro tease Bartholo about?
5. What does the Countess discover is missing when she examines Cherubin's papers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Figaro plan to do now that he believes he understands the Counts primary motive with the bedroom?
2. What does the Count muse to himself as he sits in the castle's throne room?
3. What does the Count reveal in his aside?
4. What does the Count consider when contemplating taking Figaro to England with him and what is Figaro's response?
5. What does Suzanne tell Figaro as he comes into the courtroom?
6. What does the judge decide regarding the case?
7. What does Figaro argue regarding the letter?
8. Why does Suzanne want a different bedroom?
9. What is Cherubin's role in the garden plan?
10. What is the significance of Suzanne actions at the opening of Act 1 as Figaro is measuring the floor to determine the best place for the bed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the crisis of the play? Describe the key actions that take place. Describe the characters that are involved. Include 3 textual references to support your findings.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the classic elements of irony (dramatic, verbal, and irony of situation) are used in the play. How does irony contribute to the theme of the play? How does irony contribute to the element of farce in the play? Use 3 pieces of dialogue as evidence of your findings.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the aspect of verbal comedy as portrayed by the characters in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How is verbal comedy defined, and how is it used as an effective tool? Provide 2 specific scenes in which verbal comedy is performed. Describe the effectiveness of such a comedic performance in a farce.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)