|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Count shows the Countess a letter suggesting that she'll be meeting a lover, what is the explanation the Countess gives the Count why she won't be leaving her room all that day?
2. What is the setting of Act 2, Part 1?
3. After the Count jumps angrily out from behind the chair, who does he order to drive Cherubin from the court?
4. Why sort of missions does the Count want Figaro to take on?
5. What does the Count do before he exits with an anxious Countess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Antonio pulls out a piece of paper that he says fell from the jumper's pocket?
2. What are the implications for Suzanne now that the presence of Cherubin has been revealed?
3. What does Figaro plan to do now that he believes he understands the Counts primary motive with the bedroom?
4. What do Figaro and Suzanne talk about when they are alone in the room they will marry in?
5. What does Figaro explain about human nature?
6. What does Antonio, the gardener, witness?
7. What is the significance of Suzanne actions at the opening of Act 1 as Figaro is measuring the floor to determine the best place for the bed?
8. How does Suzanne react when she realizes that the paper that fell from the jumper's pocket is Cherubin's commission?
9. What does Figaro say when he is reminded of Suzanne's plans of still meeting the Count in the garden?
10. What is Cherubin's role in the garden plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of figurative language in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How are similes, metaphors, alliteration, etc used in developing the structure of the play? Include 2 examples of each form of figurative language in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Tone and Mood of THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How are the tone and mood important to the development of the characters? How do the tone and mood contribute to the action of the character? Use textual examples from 2 scenes in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and Contrast THE BARBER OF SEVILLE and THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO in terms of the elements of commedia dell'arte, farce, and satire. How ar the two plays alike? How are they different? Use specific examples, including the use of recurring characters.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)