|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cherubin hide as the Count approaches the Countess's bedchamber?
2. What does the Count feel he is a victim of?
3. According to Figaro, what will the Count be too busy trying to find as to even consider taking in a lover?
4. What does the Count feel Suzanne has made out of their love for each other?
5. What does Cherubin pointedly say to the Count after he admits that his previous actions were unwise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Count consider when contemplating taking Figaro to England with him and what is Figaro's response?
2. What does the Countess say to Suzanne regarding the meeting in the garden?
3. What does the Countess and Suzanne scheme to do to the Count?
4. What has Figaro made arrangements for and how does the Countess react?
5. How does the Countess explain the letter to the Count?
6. What happens when the Count approaches who he thinks is "Suzanne"?
7. What happens to Cherubin after the Count angrily jumps out from behind the chair?
8. What does the Count say to "Suzanne" regarding his marriage and love?
9. What happens after Cherubin has admitted to the Count that his actions have been unwise but that he can be discreet?
10. What are the implications of Cherbuin lingering outside Suzanne's door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and Contrast THE BARBER OF SEVILLE and THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO in terms of the elements of commedia dell'arte, farce, and satire. How ar the two plays alike? How are they different? Use specific examples, including the use of recurring characters.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the classic elements of irony (dramatic, verbal, and irony of situation) are used in the play. How does irony contribute to the theme of the play? How does irony contribute to the element of farce in the play? Use 3 pieces of dialogue as evidence of your findings.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the aspect of verbal comedy as portrayed by the characters in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How is verbal comedy defined, and how is it used as an effective tool? Provide 2 specific scenes in which verbal comedy is performed. Describe the effectiveness of such a comedic performance in a farce.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)