|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Cherubin is in the chair and the Count is behind the chair, where is Figaro?
2. How does Figaro react when the Count confronts him about the letter?
3. Who does the Count wonder about as Suzanne and the Countess laughingly comment on the way that Figaro cannot stop his manipulations, who does the Count wonder about?
4. How does Suzanne respond to finding out what bedroom Figaro and she will share after marriage?
5. Who tells Suzanne of the Count's intentions concerning the old law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Count approaches who he thinks is "Suzanne"?
2. What does the Count muse to himself as he sits in the castle's throne room?
3. What is stated in the letter that is read by Bartholo?
4. What does the Countess say to Suzanne regarding the meeting in the garden?
5. What happens when a group of peasant girls present Suzanne with flowers in honor of her wedding?
6. How does the Countess explain the letter to the Count?
7. What does the Count consider when contemplating taking Figaro to England with him and what is Figaro's response?
8. What does Figaro say when he is reminded of Suzanne's plans of still meeting the Count in the garden?
9. What does the judge decide regarding the case?
10. What does the conversation between Figaro, Bazile, and Cherubin reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO is a product of its historic time economically, socially, and politically. How does the play reflect the culture in which it was written?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Suzanne's flowers are the only true symbol of the entire play. Explain what the flowers represent in terms of character, theme, and conflict. Use textual references and evidence to support your findings.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literary element of characterization in THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. How are the major characters portrayed as opposed to the minor characters. What are their motivations? What are there struggles? Finally, how are the characters able to work symbiotically to move the storyline to its climax?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)