|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Marley to be forever banned from Dog Beach?
2. What did the vet suggest they do with Marley's body?
3. What did John and Marley use to take a wild ride down their snow covered hill?
4. When they decided to move, what did John and Jenny realize they would not miss about Florida?
5. Eating outside was a big part of the restaurant scene in Boca Raton. How did this turn into a disaster for the Grogans?
Short Essay Questions
1. John was dedicated to an organic living style, so the family decided to invest in something. What was it and why? In regards to this, what did their neighbor warn them not to do, but they did anyway?
2. What was the family hoping for in regard to the weather in their new home in the north? What was the outcome of this?
3. Why did John decide to visit Shanksville, Pennsylvania in 2003?
4. What decision did the Grogans make soon after moving to Boca Raton? How did their friends react?
5. The summer after John started his new job in Philadelphia, Jenny took the kids to visit her sister in Boston. What did John have to do about Marley?
6. Marley recovered from his illness. How did John know that Marley was back to his old self?
7. Jenny started feeling labor pains at twenty-one weeks into her third pregnancy. What was the result of this for Jenny and for John, Patrick, and Marley?
8. What did Patrick and Conor expect to see in their new home state and why?
9. What happened not long after John's new job in Philadelphia began? What was the result of this for Marley?
10. How did Marley behave on dog beach and what was the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conflict is a common element of writing, in both fiction and nonfiction. Why is conflict so often used in narratives? How can it help move a story along? Give four examples where conflict in Marley & Me occurs and how it helps explain the relationship between Marley and John Grogan.
Essay Topic 2
Humor is an element of memoir writing that is often employed by authors. Why is it used? How can it enhance a memoir? Give four examples of John Grogan's use of humor where you feel the pace and the theme of Marley & Me has been enhanced by its use.
Essay Topic 3
In reference to the plotting of Marley & Me:
(1) Why are the events of the memoir arranged as they are?
(2) What moves the narrative along? Is it external action or internal conflicts? Or a combination of both? Support your answer with examples.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)