|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of Marley's misbehavior around the time of their second son's birth, what did John decide to do?
2. How did Marley adjust to life in the country?
3. What was a consideration for the Grogans in finding a new place to live?
4. What did the vet suggest they do with Marley's body?
5. Not long after moving north, John noticed a change in Marley. What was it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Jenny was allowed to get up after being in bed for twelve weeks during her pregnancy with Conor?
2. What did John notice about Marley soon after they moved to Pennsylvania? Give some examples.
3. What happened not long after John's fortieth birthday that convinced him Marley's fear of thunderstorms was justified?
4. The Grogans went to Disney World just before Christmas, 2003. What happened to Marley just after they came back? What do John and Jenny decide to do about Marley?
5. What were the sequence of events behind John's getting an interview at Organic Gardening magazine?
6. What is the end result of the movie, The Last Home Run?
7. What incident showed that Marley did not really fit in in Boca Raton?
8. How did Marley behave on dog beach and what was the result?
9. What decision did the Grogans make soon after moving to Boca Raton? How did their friends react?
10. What did Patrick and Conor expect to see in their new home state and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss your overall impression of Marley as a dog - was he good, bad, or average? Did his good qualities make up for his bad ones? Give examples of Marley's bad behavior and how you think the Grogans might have done things differently.
Essay Topic 2
Marley & Me is a first person narrative, told from John Grogan's point-of-view. Briefly explain how the first person narrative is effective and how it is limited. Give four specific examples that show how the memoir is effective when told from John Grogan's point of view, and how our vicarious experience of them is enhanced.
Essay Topic 3
Define "epiphany" as it is used in writing. What epiphany did John Grogan arrive at when he visited Shanksville, PA on September 11, 2003? How did he arrive at that epiphany? How does this event influence the remainder of the memoir?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)