|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Marley fit into the Boca Raton scene?
2. In chapter 24, John told the reader how Marley had aged. How old was Marley at this point?
3. As Marley aged, what part of the house gave him real problems?
4. When they decided to move, what did John and Jenny realize they would not miss about Florida?
5. John phoned Jenny in Boston about Marley's digestive system condition and what did they decide to do about it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened not long after John's new job in Philadelphia began? What was the result of this for Marley?
2. Before Jenny and the children returned from Boston, Marley became dangerously ill. What was wrong with him and what was the outlook?
3. What happened soon after John's visit to Shanksville that reinforced his conviction that Marley was living on "borrowed time"?
4. What were four reasons the Grogans decided to move to Boca Raton?
5. How did Marley behave on dog beach and what was the result?
6. The Grogans went to Disney World just before Christmas, 2003. What happened to Marley just after they came back? What do John and Jenny decide to do about Marley?
7. What decision did the Grogans make soon after moving to Boca Raton? How did their friends react?
8. What was the result of John's interview with Organic Gardening magazine?
9. Marley recovered from his illness. How did John know that Marley was back to his old self?
10. What happened when Jenny was allowed to get up after being in bed for twelve weeks during her pregnancy with Conor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the memoir, author John Grogan reminisces about his childhood dog, Saint Shaun. How does he describe the dog? What does he say about Shaun in regards to other dogs? Compare and contrast Shaun with his second pet dog, Marley, citing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Define the component of the literary element of plot known as "exposition". What purpose does it serve in writing? Give four examples of Grogan's use of exposition in Marley & Me that enhance the memoir.
Essay Topic 3
What is "creative license"? When is it commonly used? When should it not be used? In what instances, giving examples, it is permissible to use in creative nonfiction? Cite three examples from Marley & Me where you believe creative license was used.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)