|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much would Marley get paid for the movie he was in?
2. What had John hoped to find that day on September 11, 2003?
3. Why did John feel a little embarrassed about moving to Boca Raton?
4. What did the Grogans' neighbor warn them not to do with their farm animals?
5. In chapter 19, what did John say was becoming a serious hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Marley manage to get a part in a movie? How did John feel about that?
2. What were four reasons the Grogans decided to move to Boca Raton?
3. What was the family hoping for in regard to the weather in their new home in the north? What was the outcome of this?
4. Jenny started feeling labor pains at twenty-one weeks into her third pregnancy. What was the result of this for Jenny and for John, Patrick, and Marley?
5. How did Marley behave on dog beach and what was the result?
6. What decision did the Grogans make soon after moving to Boca Raton? How did their friends react?
7. What was the result of John's interview with Organic Gardening magazine?
8. Soon after Marley filmed his part in the movie, the Grogans decided it was time to move. They chose Boca Raton as their new home. Why was this a little embarrassing for John?
9. John decided to leave Organic Gardening after realizing that life is too short not to do what one wants to do. What did he decide to do instead and how did it change his lifestyle?
10. Why did John decide to visit Shanksville, Pennsylvania in 2003?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define "creative nonfiction" and explain how it applies to Marley & Me. Explain how the book differs from traditional nonfiction with supporting arguments. Explain how it differs from fiction, with supporting arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Define "epiphany" as it is used in writing. What epiphany did John Grogan arrive at when he visited Shanksville, PA on September 11, 2003? How did he arrive at that epiphany? How does this event influence the remainder of the memoir?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the memoir, author John Grogan reminisces about his childhood dog, Saint Shaun. How does he describe the dog? What does he say about Shaun in regards to other dogs? Compare and contrast Shaun with his second pet dog, Marley, citing examples from the book.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)