|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Marley fit into the Boca Raton scene?
2. What had happened in that town on September 11, 2001?
3. John phoned Jenny in Boston about Marley's digestive system condition and what did they decide to do about it?
4. What had John's mother told the Grogans that they realized was true, once they had two children?
5. Why did John feel a little embarrassed about moving to Boca Raton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were four reasons the Grogans decided to move to Boca Raton?
2. What was life like for the Grogans after Conor's birth?
3. What happened not long after John's new job in Philadelphia began? What was the result of this for Marley?
4. What incident showed that Marley did not really fit in in Boca Raton?
5. Marley recovered from his illness. How did John know that Marley was back to his old self?
6. How did John respond to Jenny's feelings about Marley after the birth of Conor?
7. The summer after John started his new job in Philadelphia, Jenny took the kids to visit her sister in Boston. What did John have to do about Marley?
8. What did John notice about Marley soon after they moved to Pennsylvania? Give some examples.
9. How did Marley manage to get a part in a movie? How did John feel about that?
10. What happened soon after John's visit to Shanksville that reinforced his conviction that Marley was living on "borrowed time"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In memoir writing, the author's personal presence must exist to make it authentic. Give five examples where John Grogan's personal presence is apparent and for two of those examples, explain why you think he chose to make it so.
Essay Topic 2
What is "creative license"? When is it commonly used? When should it not be used? In what instances, giving examples, it is permissible to use in creative nonfiction? Cite three examples from Marley & Me where you believe creative license was used.
Essay Topic 3
State the theme of Marley & Me. How is the theme of the story reflected in the conflict John Grogan experiences with Marley? Give four examples with an explanation for each one.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)