|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Jenny came home from her first doctor's appointment in Chapter 6, how did Marley react?
2. What did the Grogans' Florida vet suggest they do to deal with Marley's fear of thunderstorms?
3. What did John resume with Marley after the Grogans returned from their trip?
4. When did Jenny find out she was pregnant again?
5. How did John and Jenny teach Marley how to retrieve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Grogans' trip to Ireland?
2. Once he did a little research, what did John learn about Labrador Retrievers?
3. After returning from Ireland, John and Jenny decided it was time to occasionally leave Marley alone in the house. What was the outcome of this?
4. What did Jenny and John decide to do and why?
5. How did John describe the first dog her ever had?
6. What was the reason the Grogans thought about getting a dog not long after they were married?
7. How did Marley take to housebreaking?
8. Even when Marley was still a fairly young dog, he was large and many people perceived him as being an attack dog. Why was John glad of this?
9. How did the Grogans come to name Marley?
10. John encouraged Jenny to keep her commitment to visit with her sister even though Marley was joining their household at the same time. What was his motive behind this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In memoir writing, the author's personal presence must exist to make it authentic. Give five examples where John Grogan's personal presence is apparent and for two of those examples, explain why you think he chose to make it so.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the memoir, author John Grogan reminisces about his childhood dog, Saint Shaun. How does he describe the dog? What does he say about Shaun in regards to other dogs? Compare and contrast Shaun with his second pet dog, Marley, citing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss your overall impression of Marley as a dog - was he good, bad, or average? Did his good qualities make up for his bad ones? Give examples of Marley's bad behavior and how you think the Grogans might have done things differently.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)