|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John call Marley because he didn't act like a typical retriever?
2. What were John and Jenny's occupations when they adopted Marley?
3. When the Grogans got Marley, they were living in West Palm Beach, FL. What is the weather like there in the winter?
4. What was true about Jenny at the end of Chapter 12?
5. How did John's father react when Shaun died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reason the Grogans thought about getting a dog not long after they were married?
2. What did the Grogans decide to do with Marley at the age of six months and what was the result of this?
3. Why did John decide to surprise Jenny with a three-week stay in Ireland?
4. How did John's first night with Marley at home go?
5. How did the Grogans come to name Marley?
6. John encouraged Jenny to keep her commitment to visit with her sister even though Marley was joining their household at the same time. What was his motive behind this?
7. Who was Buddy and what was the result of his visit to the Grogans?
8. What did Jenny and John decide to do and why?
9. What was Jenny's second pregnancy like in the early stages?
10. Even when Marley was still a fairly young dog, he was large and many people perceived him as being an attack dog. Why was John glad of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the component of the literary element of plot known as "exposition". What purpose does it serve in writing? Give four examples of Grogan's use of exposition in Marley & Me that enhance the memoir.
Essay Topic 2
State the theme of Marley & Me. How is the theme of the story reflected in the conflict John Grogan experiences with Marley? Give four examples with an explanation for each one.
Essay Topic 3
Why did John Grogan include the e-mail and telephone tributes to Marley at the end of the book? Do you believe these added to the theme? As a reader, how did you respond to the tributes?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)