|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marley was named after the late singer Bob Marley. What kind of music did he make?
2. Why wasn't John concerned about the neighborhood they lived in in Chapter 6?
3. Marley grew very quickly so what did Jenny and John have to do a lot of?
4. What did the Grogans decide to do at the end of Chapter 9?
5. A couple of days after Jenny came home from the doctor's appointment, John bought her some flowers. What did Marley do to them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dr. Jay also recommended another action for Marley, to help with his behavior. What was it? What was John's reaction?
2. How did John's first night with Marley at home go?
3. The day after the news of the first pregnancy's loss, what did John buy for Jenny and what was the result of this?
4. After returning from Ireland, John and Jenny decided it was time to occasionally leave Marley alone in the house. What was the outcome of this?
5. The Grogans are excited about their first pregnancy but their happiness is short lived. Why?
6. Who was Buddy and what was the result of his visit to the Grogans?
7. The day after John began his own program to train Marley, what did he come home to find?
8. How did the Grogans chose Marley?
9. Even when Marley was still a fairly young dog, he was large and many people perceived him as being an attack dog. Why was John glad of this?
10. John encouraged Jenny to keep her commitment to visit with her sister even though Marley was joining their household at the same time. What was his motive behind this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tone refers to the attitude of the narrator of a work. As the narrator of Marley & Me, what is the author's tone at different stages of the book? Explain the tone, with examples:
1) At the beginning of the book, before the Grogans adopted Marley;
2) When Marley was a puppy;
3) When the family welcomes children; and
4) When the family moves to Pennsylvania with an aging Marley.
Essay Topic 2
The setting refers to the time and the place where a story takes place. Compare and contrast the three main settings of Marley & Me - West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, and Pennsylvania. How do the settings have an impact on the narrative of Marley & Me? Cite at least three examples for each setting.
Essay Topic 3
Define "the writer's purpose" and give four examples of different genres of writing and explain the writer's purpose for each one. Apply the definition to Marley & Me and discuss John Grogan's purpose in writing the memoir and if you think he has succeeded, with examples to back up your assertion.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)