|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marley's aging prompted John to find a new job. What was it?
(a) The editor of a major city newspaper.
(b) The editor of a magazine about pets.
(c) A college teacher.
(d) A writing job as a newspaper columnist.
2. The family decided to move to Boca Raton. What does Boca Raton mean?
(a) Mouth of the Rattlesnake.
(b) Back of the Rattlesnake.
(c) Back of the Rat.
(d) Mouth of the Rat.
3. Why did Marley's aging prompt John to leave his new job and seek something else?
(a) John could see he was getting old along with Marley.
(b) John thought Marley would be better off in a hot climate.
(c) Life doesn't last forever and you should make the most of it.
(d) John felt they'd have to move if Marley died.
4. What happens at the end of Chapter 19 that makes John rethink Marley's reactions to thunderstorms?
(a) A hurricane blew through.
(b) A pole at the back of the house was struck by lightning.
(c) Marley was permanently deafened by thunder.
(d) A tornado blew through.
5. What did John realize as he sat at the site of the 9/11 second anniversary?
(a) That he would have to quit writing.
(b) That everyone lives on borrowed time, including Marley.
(c) That he would keep Marley alive at all costs.
(d) That he would get another dog before Marley died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was true about the majority of beaches in South Florida when the Grogans lived there?
2. What did the vet tell John about Marley's condition?
3. Jenny went off to Boston during summer vacation with the kids and what did John decide to do with Marley?
4. How did Marley adjust to life in the country?
5. What was the style of the Grogans' new house in Boca Rotan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did John decide to visit Shanksville, Pennsylvania in 2003?
2. What happened not long after John's new job in Philadelphia began? What was the result of this for Marley?
3. John decided to leave Organic Gardening after realizing that life is too short not to do what one wants to do. What did he decide to do instead and how did it change his lifestyle?
4. Soon after Marley filmed his part in the movie, the Grogans decided it was time to move. They chose Boca Raton as their new home. Why was this a little embarrassing for John?
5. What happened not long after John's fortieth birthday that convinced him Marley's fear of thunderstorms was justified?
6. How did John respond to Jenny's feelings about Marley after the birth of Conor?
7. Due to Marley's continuing bad behavior, John decided to read a book on dog training called No Bad Dogs. Who wrote the book and what did the author say about badly behaved dogs?
8. Jenny started feeling labor pains at twenty-one weeks into her third pregnancy. What was the result of this for Jenny and for John, Patrick, and Marley?
9. What was the family hoping for in regard to the weather in their new home in the north? What was the outcome of this?
10. Before Jenny and the children returned from Boston, Marley became dangerously ill. What was wrong with him and what was the outlook?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)