|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Marley aged, what part of the house gave him real problems?
(a) The crowded kitchen.
(b) The back door.
(c) The stairs.
(d) The family room.
2. John phoned Jenny in Boston about Marley's digestive system condition and what did they decide to do about it?
(a) Wait until Jenny and the kids returned home to decide.
(b) Take him another vet for a second opinion.
(c) Get him into surgery as soon as possible.
(d) Let him die if that was what was inevitable.
3. How could the Grogans' new home in a northern State be described?
(a) A big bungalow on three acres.
(b) A brand new house on the edge of a village.
(c) A rambling house sitting on two acres on the side of a hill.
(d) A farmhouse by a creek.
4. J.I. Rodale was the leader in the back-to-the-earth movement in the 1960s. What magazine did he publish?
(a) Earth Mother North.
(b) Organic Gardening.
(c) Back to the Earth.
(d) Lawn and Garden.
5. When Jenny returned after her twelve day stay in the hospital, what were the doctor's orders?
(a) She had to stay in bed and can only get up for bathroom breaks.
(b) She had to check in at the hospital once a day.
(c) She had to stay quiet but exercise normally.
(d) She had to stay in bed and was not allowed up for any reason.
6. What did Jenny want Marley to experience when they moved north?
(a) Other dogs his size.
(b) The falling of leaves in autumn.
(c) A winter blizzard.
(d) Quiet country roads.
7. What did John do two months after first going to Emmaus?
(a) Quit his job and took up organic gardening in Vermont.
(b) He joined a rock group in New Hampshire.
(c) He began a new career as a motivational speaker in Ohio.
(d) He moved his family there.
8. How did Marley die?
(a) The vet put him to sleep.
(b) He died in the car on the way to the vet's.
(c) He collapsed in the vet's waiting room.
(d) He died naturally at home, in John's arms.
9. What did the Grogans really want for their third child?
(a) That it be born soon after the second child.
(b) That it be born five years or more after the second child.
(c) That it be female.
(d) That it be male.
10. What happened on their way home from the Grogans' Christmas vacation?
(a) They crashed the van.
(b) They got lost.
(c) They got a call saying Marley was not well.
(d) The stopped at a Lab breeder to check out the puppies.
11. Why didn't Marley fit into the Boca Raton scene?
(a) Labs were not "cool" dogs in Boca Raton.
(b) The city had a bylaw about large dogs.
(c) It was populated by tiny pampered dogs and pampered people.
(d) There was no room for him to exercise.
12. What did John and Marley use to take a wild ride down their snow covered hill?
(a) An aluminum saucer.
(b) A toboggan.
(c) A sled.
(d) A large piece of cardboard.
13. What did John create for Marley out by the spruce tree on the edge of their property?
(a) A fenced-in run.
(b) A swimming hole.
(c) A cleared place for him to go bathroom.
(d) A large heated dog house.
14. What had John's mother told the Grogans that they realized was true, once they had two children?
(a) That two children is more than twice the work of one.
(b) That children are a huge challenge.
(c) That the financial cost of babies is high.
(d) That babies grow up very fast.
15. What did the vet tell John about Marley's condition?
(a) If it happened again he would need serious surgery.
(b) A couple of stitches would solve the problem.
(c) Marley had only minutes to live.
(d) It was very common in Labs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 19, what did John say was becoming a serious hobby?
2. Why did Marley's aging prompt John to leave his new job and seek something else?
3. What caused Marley to be forever banned from Dog Beach?
4. Who came to help out after Jenny got home from the hospital?
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 19 that makes John rethink Marley's reactions to thunderstorms?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)