|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made John and Jenny decide it was time to get their first dog?
(a) They wanted a pet and Jenny was allergic to cats.
(b) John wasn't working and they thought a dog would keep him company.
(c) They were thinking of having a baby and they thought owning a dog would be good practice.
(d) They lived in a rough area and wanted a guard dog.
2. What happened in the house situated kitty-corner from the Grogans in West Palm Beach?
(a) A family was taken hostage.
(b) A girl was knifed.
(c) Someone set fire to it.
(d) A woman was murdered.
3. What device was being used at the obedience classes to help train the dogs?
(a) A knotted cord.
(b) A choker chain.
(c) Dog biscuits.
(d) A whistle.
4. What was the name of the injured girl?
5. While the Grogans were getting used to the news of Jenny's pregnancy, what did Marley do?
(a) He somehow got the pregnancy test strip in his mouth.
(b) He jumped up and slobbered joyfully all over Jenny and John.
(c) He ripped up a sofa cushion.
(d) He ate their celebration dinner right off the table.
6. The Grogans decided to enroll Marley in obedience classes. Why wouldn't the trainer allow both of them to work with Marley?
(a) She didn't believe Marley would obey John.
(b) She said it would be too distracting for the other dogs.
(c) She didn't believe Marley would obey Jenny.
(d) She said a dog can only answer to one master.
7. While they were on vacation, what did John and Jenny do about Marley?
(a) They left him at John's brother's place.
(b) They put him in a kennel.
(c) They boarded him at the vet's.
(d) They got someone to stay in their house to take care of him.
8. Why is a Florida not a great place for dogs?
(a) There are a lot of laws about pet ownership.
(b) There are lots of ticks and fleas.
(c) The locals don't like them.
(d) The weather is too hard on them.
9. According to John, which of the following statements would be false regarding Labs?
(a) They are working dogs.
(b) They are very strong.
(c) They are loyal.
(d) They are not good with people.
10. When he first got Marley, John was hoping to make some money off of the dog. How?
(a) By hiring him out as a rescue dog.
(b) By training him as a guide dog.
(c) By charging stud fees.
(d) By using him in commercials and movies.
11. After almost two years of marriage, where did the Grogans decide to go on vacation?
12. On their way back from teaching Marley how to retrieve, who did John compare Marley to?
(a) Helen Keller.
(b) Speedy Gonzales.
(d) Jesse James.
13. Why was the dog given the full name of Grogan's Majestic Marley of Churchill?
(a) To register him as a purebred Labrador retriever.
(b) John admired Winston Churchill.
(c) As a joke.
(d) Their breeder asked them to.
14. What did the Grogans decide to do at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Take Marley to a new trainer.
(b) Try for another baby.
(c) Change vets.
15. What gift to Jenny did Marley eat that had John watching the dog's bowel movements for a few days?
(a) A bracelet.
(b) A watch.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John call Marley because he didn't act like a typical retriever?
2. When John and Jenny went to look at Lori's litter, they met Lily, the mother of the puppies. Which three words best describe Lily?
3. What did John say when he stepped out into the waiting area holding a "tiny swaddled football"?
4. What did the Grogans' Florida vet suggest they do to deal with Marley's fear of thunderstorms?
5. When Marley was ready to join John and Jenny at home, John was glad Jenny would be away. Why?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)