|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Twain amazed by when he met Rudyard Kipling?
2. What other author did Twain publish a book for?
3. Who owned 9/10 of Twain's company?
4. Why was Twain so derisive in his speech about Bret Harte?
5. For how long did Twain stop writing after his wife died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme throughout this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Clara is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)