|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Twain decide to do after becoming a local celebrity?
2. What happens to Twain on his first day of school?
3. What did Twain like most about Higbie?
4. How much money did Twain find on the road before his trip to Cincinnati?
5. To what does Twain compare writing his autobiography?
Short Essay Questions
1. What character did Twain model after his cousin James Lampton?
2. What did an innkeeper do that greatly amused Twain?
3. How did Twain's first son die?
4. To what does Twain compare writing his autobiography?
5. What other author did Twain publish a book for, and why?
6. Who published "Huckleberry Finn," and how successful was it?
7. How did Twain feel about the biography Suzy wrote about him?
8. Why does Twain find is peculiar that people prefer good bowling alleys to bad ones?
9. What are Twain's pet peeves?
10. How did Orion die, and how did Twain feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Anger rears its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was Twain's life altered because of these incidents?
Essay Topic 3
Clara is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)