|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what ailment did a faith doctor cure Twain's mother?
2. On what river did Twain desperately want to travel?
3. What did Twain's father die of?
4. What does Twain say his intimates rarely see in him?
5. How many days had the people survived on the boat that Twain saw while on assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Twain do during the measles epidemic?
2. What did Twain hear a man say at a banquet, and how did he feel about it?
3. What happened to the newspaper in San Francisco who told Twain to resign?
4. How did Twain feel about the biography Suzy wrote about him?
5. How would Orion spend most of his days?
6. How did Jean die?
7. Who was Bret Harte?
8. What happened when Twain tried to help a man in the jail?
9. What happened when the town clerk invested in the telephone?
10. What happened when Twain swore in front of his wife for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens when Jean dies, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in this tragedy, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Twain endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme throughout this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)