|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a game in which Twain escaped a trap set for him?
2. How did Henry die?
3. How does Twain feel about his ancestry?
4. In what court did Twain's father take a position in 1847?
5. What book did Webb publish for Twain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Twain do to try and save his wife from dying, and how did it work out?
2. What character did Twain model after his cousin James Lampton?
3. What happened when Twain swore in front of his wife for the first time?
4. What did an innkeeper do that greatly amused Twain?
5. From what malady did Webster suffer, and how did this affect his business skills?
6. How did Twain feel about the biography Suzy wrote about him?
7. What other author did Twain publish a book for, and why?
8. How did Twain's mother feel about slavery?
9. To what does Twain compare writing his autobiography?
10. Why was Twain not as popular as he hoped to be when he came back from his sailing journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twain endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Courage and fear are two attributes that are seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who were involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Twain and his father are both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their family, and their role in the plot?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)