|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Twain when he met the hypnotist?
2. How many days had the people survived on the boat that Twain saw while on assignment?
3. What was the name of Twain's older brother?
4. How much was Twain paid for his weekly letters while sailing around the world?
5. What is Twain's opinion of himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Twain see when he was on assignment in Honolulu?
2. What did Webb do when publishing Twain's first book?
3. What did Twain think of Rudyard Kipling?
4. How did Twain say he felt after Jean's death?
5. Who published "Huckleberry Finn," and how successful was it?
6. How would Orion spend most of his days?
7. How did Twain convince Dr. Peake of the hypnotist's power?
8. How did Orion die, and how did Twain feel about this?
9. What is Twain's opinion of Jim Gillis?
10. What did Twain say was his cure for dysentery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity and aging are strong themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how are they significant to the plot?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)