|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Twain study the human race?
2. How does Twain describe his mother?
3. What is Twain's opinion of himself?
4. Which of the following is NOT a game in which Twain escaped a trap set for him?
5. How much time passed before Twain saw the man who first refused to publish Twain's first book?.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Henry would do something bad instead of Twain?
2. What did Twain do during the measles epidemic?
3. Who published "Huckleberry Finn," and how successful was it?
4. What happened to Olivia when she was 16, and how was she cured?
5. How did Twain's mother feel about slavery?
6. What other author did Twain publish a book for, and why?
7. What happened to the newspaper in San Francisco who told Twain to resign?
8. What did Webb do when publishing Twain's first book?
9. What did Twain say showed his intense vanity?
10. How did Twain convince Dr. Peake of the hypnotist's power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity and aging are strong themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how are they significant to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How did the relationship between Twain and Olivia change throughout the course of their lives, and how did these changes affect the characters around them?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)