|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the publishing company nervous about releasing "The Innocents Abroad?"
2. How did Twain become the star of a hypnotist show?
3. Where outside of California did Twain give lectures?
4. What did Twain once give a man in jail?
5. What boat did Twain see while he was on assignment while working in Sacramento?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Twain tried to help a man in the jail?
2. What are Twain's pet peeves?
3. What other author did Twain publish a book for, and why?
4. What did Grant do that showed his human side?
5. What did Twain say showed his intense vanity?
6. What did Twain hear a man say at a banquet, and how did he feel about it?
7. What did Twain realize while writing "Tom Sawyer"?
8. What happened to the newspaper in San Francisco who told Twain to resign?
9. How did Twain's mother feel about slavery?
10. What character did Twain model after his cousin James Lampton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the ways Twain and Olivia show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of their lives?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Twain have chosen to include these particular settings in his autobiography?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)