|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what ailment did a faith doctor cure Twain's mother?
2. What does Twain think about people?
3. How much was Twain paid for his story about the boy sliding into the party with his pajamas on?
4. What was Harte's occupation?
5. Where was Twain sent on assignment while working in Sacramento?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Twain start using his pseudonym?
2. What did Twain do after he became a local celebrity?
3. What was Twain made fun of for when he first went to school?
4. What did an innkeeper do that greatly amused Twain?
5. What is Twain's opinion of Jim Gillis?
6. How did Twain say he felt after Jean's death?
7. What does Twain notice while studying human nature?
8. What happened when Henry would do something bad instead of Twain?
9. What did Suzy's family do when they heard she was sick?
10. How did Twain get by after his father died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courage and fear are two attributes that are seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who were involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme throughout this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)