|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Orion buy when he moved back to Hannibal?
2. What is the name of the boy who came to stay with Twain's family when he was 15?
3. What made Twain a local celebrity?
4. What does Twain do with his daily dose of pain killer?
5. Why was the publishing company nervous about releasing "The Innocents Abroad?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Twain find is peculiar that people prefer good bowling alleys to bad ones?
2. How did Twain's first son die?
3. What did Clara do to shield her mother from news of Jean's sickness?
4. What does Twain notice while studying human nature?
5. How did Twain say he felt after Jean's death?
6. What happened when Twain tried to help a man in the jail?
7. What other author did Twain publish a book for, and why?
8. Who published "Huckleberry Finn," and how successful was it?
9. What does Twain say was so special about Rogers?
10. Who was Bret Harte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Death and mortality were two integral themes in Twain's life. What are some of the key examples of these theme, and how did the presence of this themes affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 2Maturity and aging are strong themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how are they significant to the plot?
Essay Topic 3The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)