|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Twain when he met the hypnotist?
2. Twain's father takes what position at a court house in 1847?
3. What did Twain want to have happen to the editor who told him to resign?
4. How old was Twain when he began smoking?
5. How did Twain study the human race?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Twain say showed his intense vanity?
2. Who published "Huckleberry Finn," and how successful was it?
3. How did Twain get by after his father died?
4. What sad news did Twain get in 1907?
5. How did Twain say he felt after Jean's death?
6. What did Grant say on his deathbed?
7. What happened when Twain took his mother to a minstrel show?
8. What did Webb do when publishing Twain's first book?
9. What did Carlton do when he met Twain after refusing to publish his book?
10. What did Twain's mother's deep compassion lead her to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twain and his father are both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their family, and their role in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity and aging are strong themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how are they significant to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)