|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Twain notice when he wrote his autobiography in pen?
2. What does Twain think about people?
3. What is the name of the boy who came to stay with Twain's family when he was 15?
4. How does Twain describe his uncle's farm?
5. What did Twain hope to do after returning from his trip around the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did an innkeeper do that greatly amused Twain?
2. What is Twain's opinion of Jim Gillis?
3. Why was Twain not as popular as he hoped to be when he came back from his sailing journey?
4. How do we know that not everything in this book is true?
5. What was Twain made fun of for when he first went to school?
6. What did Grant do that showed his human side?
7. What did Twain hear a man say at a banquet, and how did he feel about it?
8. What does Twain say was so special about Rogers?
9. What did Clara do to shield her mother from news of Jean's sickness?
10. What did Twain do to try and save his wife from dying, and how did it work out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme throughout this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Clara is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)