|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the most famous phrenologist?
2. What book did Webb publish for Twain?
3. What did Twain notice when he wrote his autobiography in pen?
4. How does Twain describe his older brother?
5. What does Twain think about people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Twain swore in front of his wife for the first time?
2. What does Twain notice while studying human nature?
3. What does Twain say about Murat Halsted?
4. What did Grant say on his deathbed?
5. How did Twain feel about the biography Suzy wrote about him?
6. What superstition did people have about rotting hair, and what did Twain think about it?
7. What did Twain say was his cure for dysentery?
8. Why was Twain not as popular as he hoped to be when he came back from his sailing journey?
9. How did Twain's first son die?
10. Who published "Huckleberry Finn," and how successful was it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Twain have chosen to include these particular settings in his autobiography?
Essay Topic 2
What happens when Jean dies, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in this tragedy, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Each of Twain's siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how did his/her individuality affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)