|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Twain born?
2. What was the name of Twain's older brother?
3. What is Twain's opinion of himself?
4. What kinds of animals are not allowed by Twain's mother?
5. What is the name of the slave that inspired Jim in Huckleberry Finn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jean die?
2. What did Twain's mother's deep compassion lead her to do?
3. What does Twain notice while studying human nature?
4. What did Grant say on his deathbed?
5. Why does Twain find is peculiar that people prefer good bowling alleys to bad ones?
6. What did Twain do to prove the inefficiency of a phrenologist?
7. What did Twain do with the money he found on the street?
8. When did Twain start using his pseudonym?
9. Why was Twain not as popular as he hoped to be when he came back from his sailing journey?
10. What did Twain realize while writing "Tom Sawyer"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the relationship between Twain and Olivia change throughout the course of their lives, and how did these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Twain and his father are both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their family, and their role in the plot?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)