|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the publishing company nervous about releasing "The Innocents Abroad?"
2. On what river did Twain desperately want to travel?
3. Where did Twain meet the man who died in 1907?
4. Which of Twain's famous characters was inspired by Tom Blankenship?
5. How does Twain describe his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Twain realize while writing "Tom Sawyer"?
2. How did Twain's first son die?
3. What other author did Twain publish a book for, and why?
4. What did Twain say was his cure for dysentery?
5. From what malady did Webster suffer, and how did this affect his business skills?
6. What did Grant do that showed his human side?
7. Why was Twain not as popular as he hoped to be when he came back from his sailing journey?
8. What was "The Lyceum" and how did it work?
9. What did an innkeeper do that greatly amused Twain?
10. What did Suzy do to punish herself for hitting her sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different symbols present in this book. What are these symbols, and how did their presence alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Twain endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
How did the relationship between Twain and Olivia change throughout the course of their lives, and how did these changes affect the characters around them?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)