|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take for Twain to find out which girl saw him naked as a boy?
2. What did Twain like most about Higbie?
3. What story did Twain use his letters to write when he came home from sailing around the world?
4. How much was Twain paid for his weekly letters while sailing around the world?
5. How much time passed before Twain saw the man who first refused to publish Twain's first book?.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Orion die, and how did Twain feel about this?
2. To what does Twain compare writing his autobiography?
3. What happened when the town clerk invested in the telephone?
4. How did Twain feel about the biography Suzy wrote about him?
5. What did Twain say was his cure for dysentery?
6. What did Webb do when publishing Twain's first book?
7. What did Twain do during the measles epidemic?
8. What superstition did people have about rotting hair, and what did Twain think about it?
9. What are Twain's pet peeves?
10. How did Twain's feelings about practical jokes change over his lifetime?
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the ways Twain and Olivia show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Clara is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Twain and his father are both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their family, and their role in the plot?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)