|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What boat did Twain see while he was on assignment while working in Sacramento?
2. What was the name of the newspaper Twain wrote for in Nevada?
3. Why does Twain think the family of the person who died in 1907 never saw how brilliant he was?
4. How did the person who Twain tricked into seeing a minstrel show react?
5. Which of Twain's famous characters was inspired by Tom Blankenship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who published "Huckleberry Finn," and how successful was it?
2. What sad news did Twain get in 1907?
3. What other author did Twain publish a book for, and why?
4. What did an innkeeper do that greatly amused Twain?
5. How did Twain get by after his father died?
6. What did Twain do to prove the inefficiency of a phrenologist?
7. What did Suzy do to punish herself for hitting her sister?
8. How did Twain's first son die?
9. Why was Twain not as popular as he hoped to be when he came back from his sailing journey?
10. What did Twain hear a man say at a banquet, and how did he feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity and aging are strong themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how are they significant to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How did the relationship between Twain and Olivia change throughout the course of their lives, and how did these changes affect the characters around them?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)