|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where outside of California did Twain give lectures?
2. What kind of epidemic spread through the town when Twain was 10?
3. How does Twain feel about his ancestry?
4. Who did Twain trick into seeing a minstrel show?
5. What did the author who Twain accidentally copied say is never a crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Orion die, and how did Twain feel about this?
2. What did Twain do during the measles epidemic?
3. What did Grant do that showed his human side?
4. What did Webb do when publishing Twain's first book?
5. What happened when Twain swore in front of his wife for the first time?
6. Who was Bret Harte?
7. How did Twain feel about the biography Suzy wrote about him?
8. Who published "Huckleberry Finn," and how successful was it?
9. How was Twain saved from fighting a duel?
10. When did Twain start using his pseudonym?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens when Jean dies, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in this tragedy, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
There are many different symbols present in this book. What are these symbols, and how did their presence alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)