|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story did Twain use his letters to write when he came home from sailing around the world?
(a) "The Journey of the Naive."
(b) "The Poor Man's Expedition."
(c) "The Innocents Abroad."
(d) "The Lucky Man's Voyage."
2. How does Twain describe his mother?
(a) A woman with a heart of gold and a fist of iron.
(b) A woman with a small body and huge heart.
(c) A woman with strict way and a tender heart.
(d) A woman who loved too much to know better.
3. How did the person who Twain tricked into seeing a minstrel show react?
(a) She laughed.
(b) She cried.
(c) He was confused.
(d) He was very angry.
4. What is Twain's opinion of himself?
(b) He finds himself amusing.
(c) He is very conceited.
(d) Not complimentary.
5. When does Twain want his book to be published?
(a) After his death.
(b) When his wife dies.
(c) When his last living child dies.
(d) In ten year editions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Twain's older brother work?
2. What did Twain's father die of?
3. What does Twain do with his daily dose of pain killer?
4. What was the name of the newspaper Twain wrote for in Nevada?
5. To what does Twain compare writing his autobiography?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Twain swore in front of his wife for the first time?
2. What did Suzy do to punish herself for hitting her sister?
3. How did Twain get people to come to his first lecture?
4. What did Twain realize while writing "Tom Sawyer"?
5. From what malady did Webster suffer, and how did this affect his business skills?
6. What did Twain say showed his intense vanity?
7. What happened to Olivia when she was 16, and how was she cured?
8. What did Webb do when publishing Twain's first book?
9. What happened to the newspaper in San Francisco who told Twain to resign?
10. Why was Twain not able to be with Suzy when she died?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)