|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Twain like most about Higbie?
(a) His poor spelling.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His thick beard.
(d) His strange accent.
2. How much money did Twain find on the road before his trip to Cincinnati?
3. What was Harte's occupation?
4. What made Twain a local celebrity?
(a) His literary guide.
(b) His local humor column.
(c) His coverage of the boat survivors.
(d) His interview with the President.
5. How did the person who Twain tricked into seeing a minstrel show react?
(a) He was confused.
(b) She cried.
(c) He was very angry.
(d) She laughed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Dr. Peake from?
2. What does Twain say protected him from his gullible nature?
3. How did Higbie get a job?
4. Of what ailment did a faith doctor cure Twain's mother?
5. Why was the publishing company nervous about releasing "The Innocents Abroad?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the newspaper in San Francisco who told Twain to resign?
2. How would Orion spend most of his days?
3. How did Orion die, and how did Twain feel about this?
4. What happened when Twain tried to help a man in the jail?
5. What did Twain see when he was on assignment in Honolulu?
6. What did Grant do that showed his human side?
7. What happened to Olivia when she was 16, and how was she cured?
8. Who was Bret Harte?
9. What does Twain say about Murat Halsted?
10. What happened when Henry would do something bad instead of Twain?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)