|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Twain when he died?
2. What does Twain say the trade of writing requires before one can be a professional?
(a) Tutoring from an established author.
(b) Trial and error.
(d) A time of apprenticeship.
3. When did Twain write the last entry in his autobiography?
(a) New Year's Day.
(b) Valentine's Day.
(d) Christmas Eve.
4. What was Olivia's maiden name?
5. What was Twain amazed by when he met Rudyard Kipling?
(a) His sense of humor.
(b) How much he knew.
(c) His shy demeanor.
(d) His elegance.
6. How did Twain find out that Suzy was ill?
(a) A telephone call.
(b) A telegram.
(c) A newspaper article.
(d) A letter.
7. What was Twain's publishing company called?
(a) Webster and Twain.
(b) Twain and Company.
(c) Clemens and Webster.
(d) Webster and Company.
8. Where was Orion when he died?
(a) At church.
(b) At the kitchen table.
(c) In his bed.
(d) On a train.
9. What word did Twain use to describe Webster when he first started working for Twain?
(a) A godsend.
(b) A genius.
(c) An angel.
(d) A treasure.
10. How old was Orion when he died?
11. Why was Twain so derisive in his speech about Bret Harte?
(a) Bret was a plagiarizer.
(b) Bret abandoned his family.
(c) Bret was rude to Twain.
(d) Brett swindled Twain out of money.
12. Where was Twain when the company started to fail?
13. How many people came to the lecture Fuller set up for Twain?
14. Which writer did Twain say he met and talked with a number of times?
(a) Herman Melville.
(b) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(c) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) Roald Dahl.
15. Which of Twain's books started as a joke?
(a) "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court."
(c) "Tom Sawyer."
(d) "The Prince and the Pauper."
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Twain say he will take to write a book?
2. Which of Twain's books did Webster stall on publishing?
3. What does Twain think a writer should own for all time?
4. Who ended up paying all the business debts when the company failed?
5. What does Twain contrast lecturing with?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)