|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Twain's publishing company called?
(a) Twain and Company.
(b) Clemens and Webster.
(c) Webster and Twain.
(d) Webster and Company.
2. Which of Twain's books did Webster stall on publishing?
(a) "The Prince and the Pauper."
(b) "The Reign of King George."
(c) "The Hopping Frog."
(d) "A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court."
3. What was Elinor Glyn's occupation?
4. What was Elisha Bliss's occupation?
5. How did Twain say he felt when Jean died?
(a) Like his heart had exploded.
(b) Like his heart had been cut out of his chest.
(c) Like a bullet crashed through his heart.
(d) Like a vise had crushed his heart.
6. What did Twain say was America's public philosophy?
(a) "In God We Trust."
(b) "Hard Work Achieves More."
(c) "We Take What We Want."
(d) "We Are Entitled to it All."
7. For how long did Twain stop writing after his wife died?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 4 years.
8. How many people came to the lecture Fuller set up for Twain?
9. What word does Twain use to describe Harte?
10. What did Suzy do as a child that entertained her parents?
(a) Draw pictures.
(b) Sing songs.
(c) Misuse big words.
(d) Read the Bible.
11. What was Olivia's maiden name?
12. How does Twain describe his wife?
(a) She was both calm and passionate.
(b) She was both innocent and worldly.
(c) She was both strict and compassionate.
(d) She was both a girl and a woman.
13. What was Murat Hallsted's occupation?
14. What did Twain agree to without really reading?
(a) Grant's book.
(b) A land auction.
(c) A pay cut for himself.
(d) A new contract for Webster.
15. Who ended up paying all the business debts when the company failed?
(a) The Bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Orion when he died?
2. How did Olivia help Twain in his writing career?
3. What did people in Twain's time think rotted the hair?
4. What did Olivia die from?
5. How many honorary degrees did Twain receive?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)