|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Suzy's vocabulary so extensive?
(a) She read a lot of books.
(b) It came naturally.
(c) She was around literary figures.
(d) Her father would coach her.
2. What major book did Twain stall in the middle of writing?
(a) "The Prince and the Pauper."
(c) "Tom Sawyer."
(d) "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court."
3. What did Twain decide to keep a secret from his family?
(a) His alcoholism.
(b) His religion.
(c) His drug use.
(d) His swearing.
4. How much money had Grant's book made before he died?
5. Who had full control of everything in Twain's company?
6. What did Twain say he was hours after his wife died?
(a) An heir.
(b) A beggar.
(c) A rich man.
(d) A pauper.
7. What country granted Twain an honorary degree while talking about his vanity?
8. How much was Twain's first royalty check for Huckleberry Finn?
9. What did Clara do when Jean fell ill?
(a) Lied to her mother about it.
(b) Cared for both her sister and her mother.
(c) Broke the news to her mother.
(d) Kept her sister from seeing her mother.
10. How old was Orion when he died?
11. What does Twain contrast lecturing with?
12. What word did Twain use to describe Webster when he first started working for Twain?
(a) An angel.
(b) A genius.
(c) A godsend.
(d) A treasure.
13. How long does Twain say he will take to write a book?
(a) As little as he can.
(b) As long as the book writes itself.
(c) As long as he enjoys the story.
(d) As long as it takes.
14. How did Twain learn that Grant was human?
(a) When he admitted his fear of heights.
(b) When he got sick and almost died.
(c) When his book portrayed his weakness.
(d) When he got offended by being ignored by Twain.
15. What did a man at a banquet say Anglo Saxons do when they want something?
(a) Buy it.
(b) Make a mockery of what they want.
(c) Work for it.
(d) Take it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Suzy punish herself for hitting her sister?
2. What does Twain think a writer should own for all time?
3. In what did Twain try to invest?
4. For how long did Twain stop writing after his wife died?
5. What kind of people came to the lecture that Fuller set up for Twain?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)