|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did a man at a banquet say Anglo Saxons do when they want something?
(a) Buy it.
(b) Work for it.
(c) Make a mockery of what they want.
(d) Take it.
2. How did Twain learn that Grant was human?
(a) When he got sick and almost died.
(b) When he admitted his fear of heights.
(c) When his book portrayed his weakness.
(d) When he got offended by being ignored by Twain.
3. Who got the notoriety when Twain's company published Grant's book?
4. What kind of people came to the lecture that Fuller set up for Twain?
(a) School teachers.
(b) Business men.
5. Which of Twain's books started as a joke?
(a) "The Prince and the Pauper."
(b) "Tom Sawyer."
(c) "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court."
6. How does Twain describe his wife?
(a) She was both innocent and worldly.
(b) She was both calm and passionate.
(c) She was both a girl and a woman.
(d) She was both strict and compassionate.
7. Who owned Twain's copyrights after the business failure?
8. What does Twain say he has always had a talent for?
(a) Making enemies.
(c) Being swindled.
(d) Making friends.
9. What illness did Webster suffer from?
10. Which of Twain's children was his favorite?
11. Where did Olivia die?
12. Who found Jean's body?
(b) The housekeeper.
13. How did Twain say he felt when Jean died?
(a) Like his heart had been cut out of his chest.
(b) Like a vise had crushed his heart.
(c) Like his heart had exploded.
(d) Like a bullet crashed through his heart.
14. Why did the minister travel anonymously?
(a) To keep his sins hidden.
(b) To escape judgment.
(c) To have a real vacation.
(d) To have more enjoyment.
15. What did Fuller want Twain to lecture about?
(a) His religious beliefs.
(b) His early life.
(c) His publishing experiences.
(d) The Hornet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Olivia die from?
2. How old was Twain when he died?
3. What country granted Twain an honorary degree while talking about his vanity?
4. Why does Twain think Aldrich's widow is opening a memorial in his honor?
5. What was Elisha Bliss's occupation?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)