|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Suzy when she began to write about her father?
2. How did Dr. Newton say he cured Olivia?
(a) He bled her.
(b) Electricity flowed from his body.
(c) He prayed.
(d) He made a special medicine.
3. What did a man at a banquet say Anglo Saxons do when they want something?
(a) Make a mockery of what they want.
(b) Work for it.
(c) Buy it.
(d) Take it.
4. Which of Twain's books started as a joke?
(a) "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court."
(c) "The Prince and the Pauper."
(d) "Tom Sawyer."
5. Who owned Twain's copyrights after the business failure?
6. How did Twain feel about the biography Suzy wrote about him?
(a) It was very humorous.
(b) It was a great compliment.
(c) It made him worry about her.
(d) It made him angry.
7. For how long did Twain stop writing after his wife died?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 1 year.
8. What was Twain doing when Suzy fell ill?
9. Where was Orion when he died?
(a) In his bed.
(b) On a train.
(c) At the kitchen table.
(d) At church.
10. What did Twain say was America's public philosophy?
(a) "Hard Work Achieves More."
(b) "We Are Entitled to it All."
(c) "In God We Trust."
(d) "We Take What We Want."
11. How did Olivia help Twain in his writing career?
(a) She gave him ideas.
(b) She was an honest critic.
(c) She was his editor.
(d) She pushed him to work harder.
12. When did Twain write the last entry in his autobiography?
(a) Valentine's Day.
(b) New Year's Day.
(d) Christmas Eve.
13. What does Twain say the trade of writing requires before one can be a professional?
(a) A time of apprenticeship.
(b) Tutoring from an established author.
(d) Trial and error.
14. What happened to Olivia when she was 16?
(a) She fell on some ice.
(b) She got Scarlet Fever.
(c) She broke her leg.
(d) She had a stroke.
15. What word does Twain use to describe Harte?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Twain ask to put his last entry into his autobiography?
2. What does Twain contrast lecturing with?
3. What did people in Twain's time think rotted the hair?
4. What did Olivia do the first time she heard Twain swear?
5. Which writer did Twain say he met and talked with a number of times?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)