|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Suzy die of?
2. What did Twain decide to keep a secret from his family?
(a) His alcoholism.
(b) His drug use.
(c) His swearing.
(d) His religion.
3. What word does Twain use to describe Harte?
4. What does Twain say the trade of writing requires before one can be a professional?
(a) A time of apprenticeship.
(b) Trial and error.
(c) Tutoring from an established author.
5. Who owned 9/10 of Twain's company?
6. How many honorary degrees did Twain receive?
7. How did Twain find out that Suzy was ill?
(a) A telephone call.
(b) A letter.
(c) A telegram.
(d) A newspaper article.
8. Which of Twain's books started as a joke?
(b) "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court."
(c) "The Prince and the Pauper."
(d) "Tom Sawyer."
9. What was Elinor Glyn's occupation?
10. What did Twain say was America's public philosophy?
(a) "Hard Work Achieves More."
(b) "We Are Entitled to it All."
(c) "In God We Trust."
(d) "We Take What We Want."
11. How much money had Grant's book made before he died?
12. What did Twain love most about Webster?
(a) His confidence.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) His humor.
(d) His honesty.
13. What does Twain think a writer should own for all time?
(a) The first edition of his work.
(b) The credit for his work.
(c) The title right to his work.
(d) The copyright of his work.
14. What did Clara do when Jean fell ill?
(a) Kept her sister from seeing her mother.
(b) Lied to her mother about it.
(c) Broke the news to her mother.
(d) Cared for both her sister and her mother.
15. What was Murat Hallsted's occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Suzy's vocabulary so extensive?
2. For how long did Twain stop writing after his wife died?
3. What did Olivia do the first time she heard Twain swear?
4. Who owned Twain's copyrights after the business failure?
5. Where was Orion when he died?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)