|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who got the notoriety when Twain's company published Grant's book?
2. What word did Twain use to describe Webster when he first started working for Twain?
(a) A genius.
(b) A godsend.
(c) A treasure.
(d) An angel.
3. How did the people at the banquet react to the man's statement about Anglo Saxons?
(a) They cheered.
(b) They ignored it.
(c) They seemed confused by it.
(d) They kicked the man out.
4. How many people came to the lecture Fuller set up for Twain?
5. What did a man at a banquet say Anglo Saxons do when they want something?
(a) Take it.
(b) Work for it.
(c) Make a mockery of what they want.
(d) Buy it.
6. For how long did Twain stop writing after his wife died?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 4 years.
7. What does Twain say he has always had a talent for?
(a) Making friends.
(b) Being swindled.
(d) Making enemies.
8. Why does Twain think Aldrich's widow is opening a memorial in his honor?
(a) To stroke her vanity.
(b) To honor his memory.
(c) To find a new husband.
(d) To raise money.
9. Which of Twain's children was his favorite?
10. How did Suzy describe her father's language?
11. How long did Murat Hallsted's career last?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 60 years.
(c) 70 years.
(d) 40 years.
12. Where was Twain when Suzy fell ill?
13. How did Twain find out that Suzy was ill?
(a) A telephone call.
(b) A newspaper article.
(c) A letter.
(d) A telegram.
14. What did Jean die from?
15. What did Twain say was America's public philosophy?
(a) "In God We Trust."
(b) "We Are Entitled to it All."
(c) "We Take What We Want."
(d) "Hard Work Achieves More."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Twain say always cured his wife of dysentery?
2. What does Twain say he never had to work at in his life?
3. What was Twain doing when Suzy fell ill?
4. What did Twain think of the man who talked about Anglo Saxons at a banquet?
5. What does Twain say the trade of writing requires before one can be a professional?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)