|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who found Jean's body?
(c) The housekeeper.
2. Where did Olivia die?
3. How much money would lecturers make each night?
4. What word does Twain use to describe Harte?
5. Who ended up paying all the business debts when the company failed?
(b) The Bank.
6. For how long did Twain stop writing after his wife died?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 2 years.
7. How did the people at the banquet react to the man's statement about Anglo Saxons?
(a) They cheered.
(b) They ignored it.
(c) They seemed confused by it.
(d) They kicked the man out.
8. What does Twain say he has always had a talent for?
(a) Being swindled.
(b) Making friends.
(d) Making enemies.
9. What was Murat Hallsted's occupation?
10. How did Twain say he felt when Jean died?
(a) Like a bullet crashed through his heart.
(b) Like his heart had exploded.
(c) Like his heart had been cut out of his chest.
(d) Like a vise had crushed his heart.
11. What did a man at a banquet say Anglo Saxons do when they want something?
(a) Buy it.
(b) Make a mockery of what they want.
(c) Take it.
(d) Work for it.
12. How many honorary degrees did Twain receive?
13. What does Twain say the trade of writing requires before one can be a professional?
(a) Trial and error.
(b) A time of apprenticeship.
(d) Tutoring from an established author.
14. Who owned 9/10 of Twain's company?
15. Where was Twain when Suzy fell ill?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Twain say Rogers did for him during his business failure?
2. How did Twain learn that Grant was human?
3. What was the name of the memorial Twain was asked to help open?
4. What was the name of the lecture tour?
5. What illness did Webster suffer from?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)