|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other author did Twain publish a book for?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Dolly Madison.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
2. How did Twain feel about Marie Corelli?
(a) He did not know much about her.
(b) He thought she was beautiful.
(c) He very much liked her.
(d) He did not like her.
3. What word did Twain use to describe Webster when he first started working for Twain?
(a) A godsend.
(b) An angel.
(c) A genius.
(d) A treasure.
4. How old was Twain when he died?
5. What did Clara do when Jean fell ill?
(a) Cared for both her sister and her mother.
(b) Broke the news to her mother.
(c) Kept her sister from seeing her mother.
(d) Lied to her mother about it.
6. Which writer did Twain say he met and talked with a number of times?
(a) Herman Melville.
(b) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(c) Roald Dahl.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
7. Who had full control of everything in Twain's company?
8. What was Murat Hallsted's occupation?
9. What did Twain love most about Webster?
(a) His confidence.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) His honesty.
(d) His humor.
10. What does Twain think a writer should own for all time?
(a) The credit for his work.
(b) The copyright of his work.
(c) The first edition of his work.
(d) The title right to his work.
11. Why was Twain so derisive in his speech about Bret Harte?
(a) Bret was rude to Twain.
(b) Bret abandoned his family.
(c) Bret was a plagiarizer.
(d) Brett swindled Twain out of money.
12. How did Olivia help Twain in his writing career?
(a) She was an honest critic.
(b) She was his editor.
(c) She gave him ideas.
(d) She pushed him to work harder.
13. How many honorary degrees did Twain receive?
14. What did Twain say he was hours after his wife died?
(a) An heir.
(b) A pauper.
(c) A beggar.
(d) A rich man.
15. What kind of people came to the lecture that Fuller set up for Twain?
(c) Business men.
(d) School teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Suzy punish herself for hitting her sister?
2. How did Twain find out that Suzy was ill?
3. What was Twain doing when Suzy fell ill?
4. How long does Twain say he will take to write a book?
5. Where did Olivia die?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)