|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Twain trick into seeing a minstrel show?
(a) His mother.
(b) His preacher.
(c) His wife.
(d) His sister.
2. Where did Twain go after leaving Nevada?
(a) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
3. To what does Twain compare writing his autobiography?
(a) Walking through memories.
(b) Painting a picture.
(c) Keeping a journal.
(d) Writing love letters.
4. How old was Twain when he began smoking?
5. Where was Twain born?
6. What did Twain love about the person who died in 1907?
(a) His compassion.
(b) His honesty.
(c) His stories.
(d) His accent.
7. What does Twain say protected him from his gullible nature?
(a) Whisperings in his ear.
(b) Good friends.
(c) God's intervention.
(d) Beginner's luck.
8. Who suggested that Twain should write a book?
(a) Charles Webb.
(b) Frank Wall.
(c) Robert Wendall.
(d) Ross Weber.
9. How old was Twain when he had his first crush on a girl?
10. Why does Twain think the family of the person who died in 1907 never saw how brilliant he was?
(a) They were not educated.
(b) They were not around him enough.
(c) They were jealous of him.
(d) They were too close to him.
11. How did Twain become the star of a hypnotist show?
(a) He was the only one to be truly hypnotized.
(b) He learned the mesmerizer's trade.
(c) He pretended to be a hypnotist.
(d) He pretended to be mesmerized.
12. Which of the following is NOT a game in which Twain escaped a trap set for him?
13. What story did Twain use his letters to write when he came home from sailing around the world?
(a) "The Innocents Abroad."
(b) "The Lucky Man's Voyage."
(c) "The Journey of the Naive."
(d) "The Poor Man's Expedition."
14. Of what ailment did a faith doctor cure Twain's mother?
(a) A stomach pain.
(b) A toothache.
(c) A headache.
(d) A fever.
15. What book did Webb publish for Twain?
(a) "The Prince and the Pauper."
(b) "The Jumping Frog."
(c) "Tom Sawyer."
(d) "Sketches of a River Boy."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Twain decide to do after becoming a local celebrity?
2. What did Twain use to endear himself to audiences?
3. What was the name of Twain's older brother?
4. What does Twain say his intimates rarely see in him?
5. What did Twain like most about Higbie?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)