|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Twain describe his mother?
(a) A woman with a heart of gold and a fist of iron.
(b) A woman with a small body and huge heart.
(c) A woman who loved too much to know better.
(d) A woman with strict way and a tender heart.
2. How does Twain describe his older brother?
(a) The most revered and deranged man.
(b) The most happy and alarmed man.
(c) The most confused and innocent man.
(d) The most miserable and hopeful man.
3. What was the name of the newspaper Twain wrote for in Nevada?
(a) The Enterprise.
(b) The Freedom Post.
(c) The Entrepreneur.
(d) The Free Bird Exam.
4. Why does Twain think the family of the person who died in 1907 never saw how brilliant he was?
(a) They were not educated.
(b) They were jealous of him.
(c) They were not around him enough.
(d) They were too close to him.
5. What is Twain's opinion of himself?
(a) Not complimentary.
(c) He is very conceited.
(d) He finds himself amusing.
6. What did Twain hope to do after returning from his trip around the world?
(a) Create his own magazine.
(b) Be promoted.
(c) Give more lectures.
(d) Write a book.
7. What did Twain do to trick a phrenologist?
(a) Gave a fake name.
(b) Paid extra money.
(c) Changed the color of his hair.
(d) Lied about his age.
8. How much was Twain paid for his weekly letters while sailing around the world?
(a) $20 per paragraph.
(b) $20 per sentence.
(c) $20 per word.
(d) $20 per letter.
9. How many days had the people survived on the boat that Twain saw while on assignment?
10. What is the name of the most famous phrenologist?
11. What does Twain do with his daily dose of pain killer?
(a) Takes it obediently.
(b) Pours it out the window.
(c) Feeds it to the cat.
(d) Gives it to his brother.
12. What was Harte's occupation?
13. What did Twain want to have happen to the editor who told him to resign?
(a) To have his paper go out of business.
(b) To have one of his stories turned down.
(c) God to punish him.
(d) To watch Twain become rich and famous.
14. How much money did Twain find on the road before his trip to Cincinnati?
15. What did Twain use to endear himself to audiences?
(a) His writing.
(b) His shyness.
(c) His humor.
(d) His music.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Twain notice when he wrote his autobiography in pen?
2. Why did Twain resign from the Civil War?
3. What does Twain bring home from caves as a young boy?
4. How does Twain hope to write?
5. Who did Twain trick into seeing a minstrel show?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)