|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Twain prefer a wobbly billiards table?
(a) It allows him to practice his skill.
(b) It has more character.
(c) He has better chance of winning.
(d) It has provided good times to more people.
2. What does Twain think could have happened if the person who died in 1907 had some education?
(a) He could have been a famous writer.
(b) He could have delivered great sermons.
(c) He could have taught at colleges.
(d) He could have been a successful business man.
3. Who died in 1907?
(b) Injun Joe.
(c) Jim Gillis.
(d) Bret Harte.
4. How old is Twain's mother when she dies?
5. What did Twain decide to do after becoming a local celebrity?
(a) Take photographs.
(b) Teach seminars.
(c) Write a book.
(d) Give lectures.
6. What made Twain a local celebrity?
(a) His interview with the President.
(b) His literary guide.
(c) His local humor column.
(d) His coverage of the boat survivors.
7. How much was Twain paid for his story about the boy sliding into the party with his pajamas on?
8. How does Twain feel about his ancestry?
9. How did Henry die?
(a) Drowned in the river.
(b) Caught yellow fever.
(c) Was shot in the back.
(d) Boiler explosion.
10. On what river did Twain desperately want to travel?
(a) The Thames.
(b) The Ganges.
(c) The Amazon.
(d) The Mississippi.
11. How did Twain study the human race?
(a) He watched people.
(b) He read psychology text books.
(c) He read old journals.
(d) He studied himself.
12. How old was Twain when he had his first crush on a girl?
13. Where did Twain's older brother work?
(a) A printing press.
(b) An editor.
(c) A publisher.
(d) A newspaper office.
14. How much was Twain paid as Orion's apprentice?
(a) $35 a month.
(b) $350 a year.
(c) $3.50 a month.
(d) $3.50 a week.
15. Why did Twain resign from the Civil War?
(a) He wanted to join the Union.
(b) His mother fell ill.
(c) A shoulder wound.
(d) Fatigue from retreating.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the slave that inspired Jim in Huckleberry Finn?
2. What kind of epidemic spread through the town when Twain was 10?
3. Where did Twain meet the man who died in 1907?
4. In what court did Twain's father take a position in 1847?
5. What did Twain see some Irish boys doing one night after he left Nevada?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)