|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Twain on his first day of school?
(a) He is whipped.
(b) He is teased.
(c) He is put ahead a few classes.
(d) He is sent home.
2. Whom did Twain accidentally copy in his book about his sailing trip around the world?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(c) Louisa May Alcott.
(d) James Faulker.
3. What does Twain say his mother thought of the trouble he caused as a boy?
(a) She expected it.
(b) She hated it.
(c) She was confused by it.
(d) She liked it.
4. How many days had the people survived on the boat that Twain saw while on assignment?
5. What does Twain think could have happened if the person who died in 1907 had some education?
(a) He could have been a famous writer.
(b) He could have taught at colleges.
(c) He could have delivered great sermons.
(d) He could have been a successful business man.
6. How does Twain feel about his ancestry?
7. What did the author who Twain accidentally copied say is never a crime?
(a) Small amounts of copying.
(b) Unconscious plagiarism.
(c) Enhancing existing ideas.
(d) Reusing old text.
8. Which of Twain's famous characters was inspired by Tom Blankenship?
(a) Tom Sawyer.
(b) Injun Joe.
(c) The Pauper.
(d) Huckleberry Finn.
9. What did Twain's father die of?
(b) Pneumonic plague.
10. What did Twain like most about Higbie?
(a) His poor spelling.
(b) His strange accent.
(c) His sense of humor.
(d) His thick beard.
11. How old was Twain when he first went to school?
12. What was Harte's first name?
13. Why does Twain not get very close to his older siblings?
(a) They do not live long enough.
(b) They move away.
(c) They do not like the dirty games he played.
(d) They are much older than he is.
14. Where was Twain sent on assignment while working in Sacramento?
(b) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) St. Louis.
15. How does Twain hope to write?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Twain's mother when she dies?
2. Why did Twain resign from the Civil War?
3. What does Twain bring home from caves as a young boy?
4. To what does Twain compare writing his autobiography?
5. How did Harte survive financially at the end of his life?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)