|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Twain's older brother?
2. What did Twain want to have happen to the editor who told him to resign?
(a) To watch Twain become rich and famous.
(b) To have one of his stories turned down.
(c) God to punish him.
(d) To have his paper go out of business.
3. What did Twain decide to do after becoming a local celebrity?
(a) Write a book.
(b) Take photographs.
(c) Give lectures.
(d) Teach seminars.
4. How old was Twain when he first went to school?
5. What did Twain once give a man in jail?
(a) Some food.
(c) A knife.
(d) A cigarette.
6. Why was the publishing company nervous about releasing "The Innocents Abroad?"
(a) It was humorous.
(b) It was non-fiction.
(c) It was fictional.
(d) There was no romance.
7. Why does Twain think the family of the person who died in 1907 never saw how brilliant he was?
(a) They were jealous of him.
(b) They were not around him enough.
(c) They were not educated.
(d) They were too close to him.
8. Where was Twain sent on assignment while working in Sacramento?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New York.
(c) St. Louis.
9. What is the name of the boy who came to stay with Twain's family when he was 15?
10. What book did Webb publish for Twain?
(a) "The Prince and the Pauper."
(b) "Tom Sawyer."
(c) "The Jumping Frog."
(d) "Sketches of a River Boy."
11. Where did Twain meet the man who died in 1907?
(a) New York.
12. Which of the following is NOT a game in which Twain escaped a trap set for him?
13. What made Twain a local celebrity?
(a) His literary guide.
(b) His local humor column.
(c) His interview with the President.
(d) His coverage of the boat survivors.
14. What did Twain like most about Higbie?
(a) His strange accent.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His poor spelling.
(d) His thick beard.
15. Where was Dr. Peake from?
(b) New York.
(d) North Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Twain compare writing his autobiography?
2. Where does Twain's father buy up a lot of land before he dies?
3. How does Twain describe his older brother?
4. How long does it take for Twain to find out which girl saw him naked as a boy?
5. What did phrenologists tell people about?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)