|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Twain prefer a wobbly billiards table?
(a) It has provided good times to more people.
(b) He has better chance of winning.
(c) It allows him to practice his skill.
(d) It has more character.
2. How does Twain describe his mother?
(a) A woman with strict way and a tender heart.
(b) A woman who loved too much to know better.
(c) A woman with a heart of gold and a fist of iron.
(d) A woman with a small body and huge heart.
3. Why did Twain resign from the Civil War?
(a) His mother fell ill.
(b) A shoulder wound.
(c) He wanted to join the Union.
(d) Fatigue from retreating.
4. What did the author who Twain accidentally copied say is never a crime?
(a) Small amounts of copying.
(b) Enhancing existing ideas.
(c) Reusing old text.
(d) Unconscious plagiarism.
5. Who suggested that Twain should write a book?
(a) Ross Weber.
(b) Robert Wendall.
(c) Charles Webb.
(d) Frank Wall.
6. Which of the following is NOT a game in which Twain escaped a trap set for him?
7. Who died in 1907?
(a) Bret Harte.
(c) Jim Gillis.
(d) Injun Joe.
8. What did Twain want to have happen to the editor who told him to resign?
(a) God to punish him.
(b) To watch Twain become rich and famous.
(c) To have one of his stories turned down.
(d) To have his paper go out of business.
9. How did the person who Twain tricked into seeing a minstrel show react?
(a) He was very angry.
(b) She laughed.
(c) She cried.
(d) He was confused.
10. Why does Twain think the family of the person who died in 1907 never saw how brilliant he was?
(a) They were not around him enough.
(b) They were too close to him.
(c) They were jealous of him.
(d) They were not educated.
11. What is the name of the slave that inspired Jim in Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Brother Dan.
(b) Father David.
(c) Preacher Dave.
(d) Uncle Daniel.
12. What did Twain like most about Higbie?
(a) His poor spelling.
(b) His thick beard.
(c) His sense of humor.
(d) His strange accent.
13. On what river did Twain desperately want to travel?
(a) The Ganges.
(b) The Mississippi.
(c) The Thames.
(d) The Amazon.
14. Where did Twain go after leaving Nevada?
(c) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
15. How much time passed before Twain saw the man who first refused to publish Twain's first book?.
(a) 21 years.
(b) 23 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 19 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Twain a local celebrity?
2. What is the name of the first publisher to turn Twain's first book down?
3. Where was Twain born?
4. How did Twain study the human race?
5. Where does Twain's father buy up a lot of land before he dies?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)