|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what court did Twain's father take a position in 1847?
(a) Supreme Court.
(b) Surrogate Court.
(c) Appeals Court.
(d) Appellate Court.
2. How much was Twain paid as Orion's apprentice?
(a) $3.50 a month.
(b) $350 a year.
(c) $3.50 a week.
(d) $35 a month.
3. What book did Webb publish for Twain?
(a) "The Prince and the Pauper."
(b) "Sketches of a River Boy."
(c) "Tom Sawyer."
(d) "The Jumping Frog."
4. How many days had the people survived on the boat that Twain saw while on assignment?
5. What kinds of animals are not allowed by Twain's mother?
6. Why does Twain think the family of the person who died in 1907 never saw how brilliant he was?
(a) They were not around him enough.
(b) They were not educated.
(c) They were too close to him.
(d) They were jealous of him.
7. How did Higbie get a job?
(a) He put in an application under Twain's name.
(b) He paid a man to watch him work for a day.
(c) He let the employers bid on him.
(d) He volunteered his labor at first.
8. How does Twain describe his mother?
(a) A woman with a heart of gold and a fist of iron.
(b) A woman with strict way and a tender heart.
(c) A woman with a small body and huge heart.
(d) A woman who loved too much to know better.
9. Where does Twain's father buy up a lot of land before he dies?
10. What did Twain like most about Higbie?
(a) His thick beard.
(b) His strange accent.
(c) His sense of humor.
(d) His poor spelling.
11. Whom did Twain accidentally copy in his book about his sailing trip around the world?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Louisa May Alcott.
(c) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(d) James Faulker.
12. Where did Twain go after leaving Nevada?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) New York.
13. Why would Twain prefer a wobbly billiards table?
(a) It has more character.
(b) It has provided good times to more people.
(c) It allows him to practice his skill.
(d) He has better chance of winning.
14. What is the name of the most famous phrenologist?
15. Why did Twain resign from the Civil War?
(a) A shoulder wound.
(b) He wanted to join the Union.
(c) Fatigue from retreating.
(d) His mother fell ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a game in which Twain escaped a trap set for him?
2. What does Twain think about people?
3. What was Harte's first name?
4. What did Twain use to endear himself to audiences?
5. Of what ailment did a faith doctor cure Twain's mother?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)