|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Twain find on the road before his trip to Cincinnati?
2. Where outside of California did Twain give lectures?
3. What made Twain a local celebrity?
(a) His literary guide.
(b) His local humor column.
(c) His coverage of the boat survivors.
(d) His interview with the President.
4. Which of the following is NOT a game in which Twain escaped a trap set for him?
5. What does Twain say protected him from his gullible nature?
(a) Good friends.
(b) Beginner's luck.
(c) God's intervention.
(d) Whisperings in his ear.
6. What does Twain bring home from caves as a young boy?
(b) Cave spiders.
7. What musical display does Twain talk about after his hypnotist description?
(a) "The Rag Time Extravaganza."
(b) "The Coon Tune Show."
(c) "The Slave Jive Show."
(d) "The Negro Musical Show."
8. How much money did Twain live on while writing "The Innocents Abroad"?
(a) $12 a week.
(b) $48 a week.
(c) $36 a week.
(d) $24 a week.
9. Who did Twain trick into seeing a minstrel show?
(a) His sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His preacher.
10. How did Higbie get a job?
(a) He paid a man to watch him work for a day.
(b) He let the employers bid on him.
(c) He put in an application under Twain's name.
(d) He volunteered his labor at first.
11. What is the name of the slave that inspired Jim in Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Uncle Daniel.
(b) Preacher Dave.
(c) Brother Dan.
(d) Father David.
12. How does Twain describe his older brother?
(a) The most revered and deranged man.
(b) The most confused and innocent man.
(c) The most happy and alarmed man.
(d) The most miserable and hopeful man.
13. When did Twain say his publishers could release his ideas on God and religion?
14. What is the name of the first publisher to turn Twain's first book down?
15. What kind of epidemic spread through the town when Twain was 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Twain decide to do after becoming a local celebrity?
2. Which of Twain's famous characters was inspired by Tom Blankenship?
3. Why would Twain prefer a wobbly billiards table?
4. How long does it take for Twain to find out which girl saw him naked as a boy?
5. On what river did Twain desperately want to travel?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)