|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who died in 1907?
(b) Jim Gillis.
(c) Bret Harte.
(d) Injun Joe.
2. Why did Twain resign from the Civil War?
(a) He wanted to join the Union.
(b) A shoulder wound.
(c) His mother fell ill.
(d) Fatigue from retreating.
3. How much money did Twain find on the road before his trip to Cincinnati?
4. How much was Twain paid for his story about the boy sliding into the party with his pajamas on?
5. How old was Twain when he first went to school?
6. Twain's father takes what position at a court house in 1847?
7. What did Twain want to have happen to the editor who told him to resign?
(a) To have one of his stories turned down.
(b) To have his paper go out of business.
(c) To watch Twain become rich and famous.
(d) God to punish him.
8. On what river did Twain desperately want to travel?
(a) The Amazon.
(b) The Ganges.
(c) The Mississippi.
(d) The Thames.
9. How old was Twain when he began smoking?
10. What does Twain say protected him from his gullible nature?
(a) God's intervention.
(b) Good friends.
(c) Whisperings in his ear.
(d) Beginner's luck.
11. To what does Twain compare writing his autobiography?
(a) Keeping a journal.
(b) Writing love letters.
(c) Painting a picture.
(d) Walking through memories.
12. How did the person who Twain tricked into seeing a minstrel show react?
(a) He was confused.
(b) She cried.
(c) She laughed.
(d) He was very angry.
13. Why does Twain think the family of the person who died in 1907 never saw how brilliant he was?
(a) They were too close to him.
(b) They were not educated.
(c) They were jealous of him.
(d) They were not around him enough.
14. What did Twain do to trick a phrenologist?
(a) Lied about his age.
(b) Paid extra money.
(c) Changed the color of his hair.
(d) Gave a fake name.
15. What did Twain hope to do after returning from his trip around the world?
(a) Write a book.
(b) Give more lectures.
(c) Create his own magazine.
(d) Be promoted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Twain's older brother?
2. How does Twain describe his older brother?
3. What is the name of the first publisher to turn Twain's first book down?
4. Where did Twain meet the man who died in 1907?
5. What did Twain use to endear himself to audiences?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)