|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Twain respond to the drum playing that took place for the audience of the ceremony for the princess?
2. As Twain reports in chapter 15, how long was the crew of the burned clipper ship, the Hornet, adrift at sea?
3. Which one of the following did Twain read in an attempt to help a sickened Mr. Brown in chapter 18?
4. How many times did Twain prevent Mr. Brown from stealing something from the spot that Captain Cook was murdered while they waited for the schooner in chapter 20?
5. Where did Twain and Mr. Brown find the skeletal remains in chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the native riding in a canoe after Twain and the Emeline left the shore in chapter 24?
2. Where did Twain watch the ceremony for Princess Victoria in chapter 16, and how did the natives prepare for it?
3. How did Twain describe the mausoleum he visited in chapter 17?
4. When did Twain view the volcano of Kilauea and how was it transformed?
5. What was the schooner, the Boomerang, like and why did Twain have difficulty sleeping on his voyage?
6. Which advantages did Hawaii have in producing sugar?
7. Who did Twain interview about the tragic circumstances of the Hornet, how long was the crew lost at sea, and how many survivors were there?
8. Who was Charlton and why was he sued in Hawaiian courts?
9. How long did it take the Hornet to burn and what did the crew do as it was burning?
10. What fruit surprised Twain in Kona and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The funeral rite for Princess Victoria was an extravagant ceremony witnessed by thousands of people.
1) Describe the honor guard's responsibilities while the princess laid in state for the four weeks before the ceremony.
2) Explain Twain's description of the funeral rite, the royalty there, and his criticism of certain customs that were performed during the ceremony.
3) Analyze Twain's reaction to the various people and dignitaries that attended the funeral rite for Princess Victoria.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the problems that Twain had with horseback riding in Hawaii, using examples from his letters to support your analysis. Also, explain Twain's warning against Hawaiian horse traders and one of the stories he told about a person who was taken advantage by them
Essay Topic 3
The volcano of Kilauea was the last location that Twain wrote about in his Letters from Hawaii.
1) Describe the Kilauea volcano's crater, Twain's initial response to it, and how he realized its enormous scope.
2) Explain why Twain decided to view the volcano at night and how it transformed as the sun set.
3) Analyze Twain's writings about the volcano, his descriptions, the language and phrasing he used, and why he chose this event as the last one to include in his letters.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)