|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Twain ride in a buggy to after staying too long at the government prison in chapter 6?
2. What was the risk of a person bringing their own liquor from America to Hawaii?
3. Which months of 1866 were Twain's Letters from Hawaii written in?
4. What was the name of the steamer that Twain took to Hawaii?
5. What was sung each night for Princess Victoria after she passed away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Twain board the Ajax in chapter 1, and what caused passengers to become sick?
2. What was Twain's objection to the naming of the Pacific Ocean in chapter 2?
3. How important did Twain think that Pacific whaling was for Honolulu, and what did he think would happen to the trade?
4. What was Twain's opinion of the Hotel American in chapter 5?
5. How were Twain and the Ajax welcomed to Hawaii in chapter 4?
6. What was the point of Twain's story about Mrs. Jollopson in chapter 9?
7. What were some of the differences that Twain listed between Honolulu and San Fransisco in chapter 10?
8. Why did Twain's horse's actions cause confusion between him and a young woman in chapter 7?
9. What was the scenery like for Twain when he traveled through Nuuanu Valley and Kalihi Valley in chapter 11?
10. Why did Twain think that the Hawaiian legislature was disorderly in chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the funeral for Kamehameha with the funeral rite that Twain witnessed while he was visiting Hawaii. Also, provide an explanation of when Kamehameha's funeral took place, the events of the ceremony, the reasons for the natives' actions, and how Hawaii changed between the two funerals.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the letters, Twain offered his opinions about Hawaii on many different levels.
1) Describe what Twain thought of the Hotel American that he stayed at and why.
2) Explain which fruits positively surprised Twain in Hawaii and why, as well as the fruits that he did not enjoy as much.
3) Describe the scenery for three places that Twain observed on the islands.
4) Analyze Twain's opinions about the Hawaiian cigars and liquor, and his advice to Americans for both.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Hawaii's sugar production using all of Twain's information, estimations, and calculations. In addition, provide a description of the local sugar refinery that Twain visited, the reasons behind Twain's predictions, and a comparison of Hawaiian sugar production and American sugar production.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)