|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Twain recalled in chapter 17, why were the remains of chiefs thrown into volcanoes?
(a) To keep them from being disturbed.
(b) As a way to hide them.
(c) To avoid a burial.
(d) As a sign of respect.
2. What did the crew of the burned Hornet eat once the rations of food ran out?
(a) Rags, boots, a butter tub, and fishing caps.
(b) Rags, a butter tub, and fishing caps.
(c) Rags, boots, and a butter tub.
(d) Rags, boots, and fishing caps.
3. What sized men did the features of the city of refuge suggest to Twain in chapter 22?
(a) Slightly larger than normal.
(b) Unusually small.
(c) Unusually large.
(d) Average sized.
4. What position did Twain's principal interview subject, John S. Thomas, have aboard the Hornet?
(a) Second Mate.
(b) First Mate.
(d) Third Mate.
5. What color were the cracks in the crater's surface that Twain observed in chapter 25?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Twain reports in chapter 15, how long was the crew of the burned clipper ship, the Hornet, adrift at sea?
2. Following the start of the fire aboard the Hornet, how long did it take for the flames to burn the masts in two and cause them to fall overboard?
3. What comment did Twain make about Hawaiian women in chapter 24?
4. What is the name of the small schooner that Twain took to visit Hawaii in chapter 18?
5. What state did the Hornet leave on January 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Twain describe the mausoleum he visited in chapter 17?
2. Who was Charlton and why was he sued in Hawaiian courts?
3. What caused the Hornet to burn in the first place?
4. What was Twain's visit of Waiohinu like in chapter 24?
5. Why did Twain's disappointment of the crater of Kilauea change in chapter 25?
6. Which story was told about General Van Valkenburgh in the postscript of chapter 17?
7. How was Captain Mitchell instrumental in keeping his crew alive?
8. What was the schooner, the Boomerang, like and why did Twain have difficulty sleeping on his voyage?
9. What fruit surprised Twain in Kona and why?
10. What description did Twain give of Kona's volcanic ground?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)