|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many feet above the valley was the lava that the tooth was found in by the general?
(a) Seven hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Five hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
2. According to Twain's letter in chapter 17, why was Staley not allowed to officiate the funeral ceremonies for the princess?
(a) Staley refused to officiate.
(b) The princess was not a member of the Reformed Catholic Church.
(c) There was no officiating of the ceremony.
(d) Staley was not present.
3. What prediction did Twain make at the end of chapter 23?
(a) Chinese labor will ruin California industry.
(b) Chinese labor will revolutionize California industry.
(c) Hawaiian sugar products will never outsell American sugar products.
(d) Hawaiian sugar products will outsell American sugar products in one year.
4. What was the site of Captain Cook's murder?
(a) Waimanu Valley.
(b) Kealakekua Bay.
(c) Hamakua Coast.
(d) Punaluu Beach.
5. What critters prevented Twain from getting any sleep on his trip to Hawaii in chapter 18?
(a) Bugs and rats.
(b) Bugs, rats, and snakes.
(c) Rats and snakes.
(d) Bugs and snakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the information Twain provided in chapter 19, which Roman town left their remains buried in hardened lava?
2. How long had the Kona volcano been dormant when Twain visited it in chapter 19?
3. Based on Twain's accounting in chapter 23, how much sugar did Hawaii produce each year?
4. What state did Twain compare Hawaii's sugar production with in chapter 23?
5. What was saved from the burning Hornet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which story was told about General Van Valkenburgh in the postscript of chapter 17?
2. How was Captain Cook murdered?
3. Why was the attempt by Twain and Mr. Brown to get food in chapter 20 humorous?
4. Which advantages did Hawaii have in producing sugar?
5. What caused the Hornet to burn in the first place?
6. Where did Twain watch the ceremony for Princess Victoria in chapter 16, and how did the natives prepare for it?
7. What was it about Hawaii's sugar production that impressed Twain in chapter 23?
8. What fruit surprised Twain in Kona and why?
9. How was Captain Cook's monument described by Twain in chapter 20?
10. What reaction did Paulet have to Charlton's situation?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)