|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was the crater that Twain saw in chapter 25?
(a) About one mile across.
(b) About three miles across.
(c) About two miles across.
(d) About four miles across.
2. Included in the postscript of chapter 17, how did General Van Valkenburgh find a human tooth in a wall of lava?
(a) By punching the wall of lava.
(b) By chipping the lava with a hammer.
(c) After a rainstorm loosened the lava.
(d) After an avalanche.
3. What critters prevented Twain from getting any sleep on his trip to Hawaii in chapter 18?
(a) Bugs, rats, and snakes.
(b) Bugs and rats.
(c) Bugs and snakes.
(d) Rats and snakes.
4. How many feet above the valley was the lava that the tooth was found in by the general?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Seven hundred.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
5. What animal was roasted and offered to Kamehameha's corpse?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which aspects of the ceremony caused Twain to write about it as a spectacle in chapter 17?
2. Which food was Twain fed on the schooner during his trip to Hawaii in chapter 18?
3. Based on the information Twain provided in chapter 19, which Roman town left their remains buried in hardened lava?
4. Which product earned Twain's positive review while he was traveling through Kona in chapter 18?
5. How was the sugar refinery that Twain visited in chapter 23 powered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the native riding in a canoe after Twain and the Emeline left the shore in chapter 24?
2. Which advantages did Hawaii have in producing sugar?
3. How did Twain describe the mausoleum he visited in chapter 17?
4. What was Twain's visit of Waiohinu like in chapter 24?
5. Which parts of the princess's ceremony were not appreciated by Twain?
6. How was Captain Cook murdered?
7. What reaction did Paulet have to Charlton's situation?
8. How was Captain Mitchell instrumental in keeping his crew alive?
9. Who was Charlton and why was he sued in Hawaiian courts?
10. What did Twain and Mr. Brown see at the city of refuge in chapter 22?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)