|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was Twain on the island of Hawaii when he wrote the letter in chapter 3?
(a) One week.
(b) Two hours.
(c) One month.
(d) Two days.
2. What was the risk of a person bringing their own liquor from America to Hawaii?
(c) Confiscation, imprisonment, and exile.
3. What words did Twain use to describe Prince William in chapter 14?
(a) Sensible and a light drinker.
(b) Sensible, but a heavy drinker.
(c) Unassuming and a light drinker.
(d) Unassuming and a heavy drinker.
4. How many sailors did Twain write were rescued after being at sea in chapter 14?
(a) Twenty one.
(b) Twenty four.
5. What does Twain warn about the wash woman's use of rocks?
(a) It can put holes in a shirt.
(b) It can ruin shirt buttons.
(c) It can discolor a shirt.
(d) It can remove a shirt's collar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment did Twain suffer as he went below below deck in chapter 1?
2. What did Twain's horse do once it realized that the group was heading for home in chapter 7?
3. In chapter 3, how much did Twain state that Hawaii paid in customs alone?
4. What did Twain wonder about the ministers of the Hawaiian legislature in chapter 13?
5. What card game did Twain play with the sailors in chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which elements of the Saturday market did Twain describe in chapter 8?
2. Which question did Twain have for the ministers of the Hawaiian legislature in chapter 13, and what did he think of their etiquette?
3. How was the Saturday market in the past, and what changed it to become more civilized and developed?
4. How did Twain's theory about an ancient burial ground differ from its legend in chapter 7?
5. What was Twain's opinion of the Hotel American in chapter 5?
6. Why did Twain think that the Hawaiian legislature was disorderly in chapter 13?
7. What was Twain's opinion of Minister Harris?
8. Why did Twain's horse's actions cause confusion between him and a young woman in chapter 7?
9. What proof did Twain use in chapter 14 to prove Mr. Staley wrong?
10. How did Twain consider the cigars and liquor of Hawaii?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)