|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which negative aspects of Hawaii did Mr. Brown think that Twain should have mentioned in chapter 4?
(a) Heat and rain.
(b) Heat, rain, and insects.
(c) Rain and insects.
(d) Heat and insects.
2. What other name did Twain use to refer to Brannan's palace?
(a) The hut.
(b) The bungalow.
(c) The shack.
(d) The cabin.
3. Which explorer gave the Pacific Ocean its name?
4. What was the name of the steamer that Twain took to Hawaii?
5. What type of clothing did the women wear at the Saturday market in chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the practice of "pulling" that Twain wrote against in chapter 10?
2. Which of the armed services did the officers aboard the steamer serve in during the war?
3. Which of Jarves's book did Twain quote to prove Mr. Staley wrong in chapter 14?
4. What does Twain warn about the wash woman's use of rocks?
5. As Twain recalls in chapter 1, who boarded the ship in a drunken state?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Twain think that the Hawaiian legislature was disorderly in chapter 13?
2. How did Twain consider the cigars and liquor of Hawaii?
3. Who was Mr. Brown, and what was his objection to Twain's depiction of Hawaii in chapter 4?
4. What did Twain write about the officers and workers on the Ajax in chapter 3?
5. How were Twain and the Ajax welcomed to Hawaii in chapter 4?
6. How important did Twain think that Pacific whaling was for Honolulu, and what did he think would happen to the trade?
7. How did Twain write about Princess Victoria's life in chapter 14?
8. What was the Bungalow and what did Twain think of its restoration process?
9. Which animals were aboard the Ajax, and how was one of them named?
10. What was the point of Twain's story about Mrs. Jollopson in chapter 9?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)