|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Twain disgusted by the idea of sharing a meal with anyone in Hawaii?
(a) The meal portions were very small.
(b) He had a large appetite.
(c) He preferred to eat alone.
(d) The natives did not look very clean.
2. What phrase does Twain use to describe the Saturday market in chapter 8?
(a) An exhilarating spectacle.
(b) A thrilling convention.
(c) An extravagant bonanza.
(d) A delightful sight.
3. According to Twain, how did Hawaiian politics respond to the death of Princess Victoria?
(a) They were in denial.
(b) They were angered.
(c) They were confused.
(d) They were in an uproar.
4. How does Twain describe Hawaii's Manilas cigars in chapter 5?
(a) Satisfying, but strong in flavor.
(b) Satisfying, but weak in flavor.
(c) Unsatisfying and weak in flavor.
(d) Unsatisfying and strong in flavor.
5. What caused an attractive young woman to think that Twain was drunk in chapter 7?
(a) His speech.
(b) His walk.
(c) His jokes.
(d) His horse riding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment did Twain suffer as he went below below deck in chapter 1?
2. What confession by Twain begins the letter in chapter 3?
3. How long did Twain say it would be before he was able to write again at the end of his letter in chapter 12?
4. What was the risk of a person bringing their own liquor from America to Hawaii?
5. What was sung each night for Princess Victoria after she passed away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Twain think that the Hawaiian legislature was disorderly in chapter 13?
2. Why did Twain's horse's actions cause confusion between him and a young woman in chapter 7?
3. Who was Mr. Brown, and what was his objection to Twain's depiction of Hawaii in chapter 4?
4. What was the Bungalow and what did Twain think of its restoration process?
5. What was the scenery like for Twain when he traveled through Nuuanu Valley and Kalihi Valley in chapter 11?
6. How did Twain's theory about an ancient burial ground differ from its legend in chapter 7?
7. Which elements of the Saturday market did Twain describe in chapter 8?
8. What proof did Twain use in chapter 14 to prove Mr. Staley wrong?
9. Which things did Twain recommend in order for San Francisco to take full advantage of the profits from whaling?
10. How were Twain and the Ajax welcomed to Hawaii in chapter 4?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)