|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What differences in Honolulu and San Francisco did Twain observe in chapter 4?
(a) Fragrant plants and unpredictable weather.
(b) Fragrant plants, culture, and unpredictable weather.
(c) Unpredictable weather and culture.
(d) Fragrant plants and culture.
2. How much regular order of business did Twain write that the Hawaiian legislature seemed to have in chapter 13?
(a) Very little.
(b) A lot.
3. Where was the fauna that Twain mentioned in chapter 11?
(a) Near a mountain stream.
(b) In a tropical forest.
(c) Near a carved rock.
(d) In a mysterious cave.
4. Where was the group inadvertently trapped by the tour guide in chapter 7?
(a) On the water.
(b) In a cave.
(c) On a mountain.
(d) Between precipices.
5. What caused an attractive young woman to think that Twain was drunk in chapter 7?
(a) His walk.
(b) His jokes.
(c) His horse riding.
(d) His speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which months of 1866 were Twain's Letters from Hawaii written in?
2. According to Twain's letter in chapter 2, how many months out of the year is the Pacific peaceful?
3. How long were the remains of Princess Victoria scheduled to lie in state?
4. How did Twain consider the king's income to be for the lifestyle he indulged in?
5. As Twain explained in chapter 8, why did white people remain indoors before the laws were formed in the Saturday market?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Twain's theory about an ancient burial ground differ from its legend in chapter 7?
2. How important did Twain think that Pacific whaling was for Honolulu, and what did he think would happen to the trade?
3. Which question did Twain have for the ministers of the Hawaiian legislature in chapter 13, and what did he think of their etiquette?
4. How did Twain consider the cigars and liquor of Hawaii?
5. What took place during the weeks that Princess Victoria's remains lay in state?
6. What were some of the differences that Twain listed between Honolulu and San Fransisco in chapter 10?
7. How were Twain and the Ajax welcomed to Hawaii in chapter 4?
8. What was Twain's opinion of the Hotel American in chapter 5?
9. How was the Hawaiian legislature comprised?
10. How long was Twain on the island of Hawaii when he wrote the letter in chapter 3, and why did he not give his opinion of the island yet?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)