|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Twain write about the Hawaiian horse traders in chapter 6?
(a) They were dishonest, but sold good horses.
(b) They were dishonest and sold poor horses.
(c) They sold good horses and were reasonable.
(d) They sold poor horses, but were reasonable.
2. How many sailors did Twain write were rescued after being at sea in chapter 14?
(a) Twenty one.
(d) Twenty four.
3. Which one of the following was not included in Twain's description of Queen Victoria in chapter 14?
(a) She was impulsive.
(b) She was a friend to the Royal Hawaiian Church.
(c) She was educated.
(d) She was an accomplished musician.
4. Which explorer gave the Pacific Ocean its name?
5. How did Twain react to the American song selections of the Hawaiians?
(a) He was impressed.
(b) He was annoyed.
(c) He was confused.
(d) He was amused.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Twain respond to Mr. Brown's criticism of his omission of Hawaii's negative aspects?
2. In Twain's opinion, what would have happened to Honolulu without whaling?
3. What confounded Twain about the sailors in chapter 2?
4. Which negative aspects of Hawaii did Mr. Brown think that Twain should have mentioned in chapter 4?
5. How much money could San Francisco have made by diverting the whaling to its own harbor, according to Twain's estimations in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Twain's opinion of Minister Harris?
2. How were Twain and the Ajax welcomed to Hawaii in chapter 4?
3. What was Twain's opinion of the Hotel American in chapter 5?
4. What did Twain think of the government orison that he visited earlier, as he explains in chapter 8?
5. How long was Twain on the island of Hawaii when he wrote the letter in chapter 3, and why did he not give his opinion of the island yet?
6. What did Twain write about the officers and workers on the Ajax in chapter 3?
7. How did Twain write about Princess Victoria's life in chapter 14?
8. What was Twain's objection to the naming of the Pacific Ocean in chapter 2?
9. What did Twain notice about Honolulu in chapter 4?
10. What proof did Twain use in chapter 14 to prove Mr. Staley wrong?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)