|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story that Twain recounted for chapter 16, who bested Mr. Harris during an event in the legislature?
(a) Another minister.
(b) A noble.
(c) A citizen.
(d) The court jester.
2. What did Twain do before returning the remains to their resting place in chapter 24?
(a) He prayed.
(b) He sang a song.
(c) He apologized.
(d) He looked for a different resting place.
3. Which one of the following was not included in the reasons why Twain thought a Hawaiian sugar monopoly was possible?
(a) Faster growth speed.
(b) No cost of exporting product.
(c) No fear of early frost.
(d) Cheap labor.
4. According to Twain, how did the chiefs mourn Kamehameha's passing?
(a) Like mature grievers.
(b) In a dignified manner.
(c) In a confused manner.
(d) Like beasts and madmen.
5. As Twain reports in chapter 15, how long was the crew of the burned clipper ship, the Hornet, adrift at sea?
(a) Fifty five days.
(b) Forty three days.
(c) Twenty three days.
(d) Thirty five days.
6. What is the name of the small schooner that Twain took to visit Hawaii in chapter 18?
7. Which aspects of the ceremony caused Twain to write about it as a spectacle in chapter 17?
(a) Music, wailing, and crafts.
(b) Bright colors, music, and crafts.
(c) Bright colors, music, and wailing.
(d) Bright colors, music, wailing, and crafts.
8. How did Twain describe the murder of Captain Cook in chapter 19?
9. What color were the cracks in the crater's surface that Twain observed in chapter 25?
10. What was the sheath of Cook's monument made of?
11. Which one of the following did Twain read in an attempt to help a sickened Mr. Brown in chapter 18?
(a) A short story.
(c) A novel.
(d) A letter.
12. What made up the waterfall that Twain observed in the city of refuge in chapter 22?
13. How did the captain of the schooner respond to Twain's constant complaints during the voyage in chapter 18?
(a) He was impatient and disagreeable.
(b) He was impatient, but agreeable.
(c) He was patient and agreeable.
(d) He was patient, but disagreeable.
14. What was introduced to cause Hawaii's sugar production to increase dramatically?
(a) Humic Acid.
(d) Bat guano.
15. Which product earned Twain's positive review while he was traveling through Kona in chapter 18?
(b) Coconut juice.
(d) Pineapple juice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What extra food did the captain make for Twain during his trip to Hawaii in chapter 18?
2. What was Twain's opinion of the hotel that was located near the crater in chapter 25?
3. What prediction did Twain make at the end of chapter 23?
4. What did Twain and Mr. Brown eventually do in order to secure food while waiting for their schooner in chapter 20?
5. How did Mr. Brown get to Captain Cook's side of the bay in chapter 21?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)