|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days had passed before the captain of the Hornet ordered the lifeboats to be separated in order to increase their chances of being spotted?
(b) Twenty two.
2. What made up the waterfall that Twain observed in the city of refuge in chapter 22?
3. According to the story that Twain told in chapter 21, what was the gold-seeking Kanui's financial situation when he passed away?
(a) He was very wealthy.
(b) He was a pauper.
(c) He was slightly wealthier than a pauper.
(d) He was somewhat wealthy.
4. Which food was Twain fed on the schooner during his trip to Hawaii in chapter 18?
(a) Fried chicken.
(c) Stewed chicken.
(d) Beef stew.
5. What effect did the delayed harvest of plants in Hawaii have on the product they produced?
(a) It was bigger.
(b) It was less sweet.
(c) It was smaller.
(d) It was sweeter.
6. What sized men did the features of the city of refuge suggest to Twain in chapter 22?
(a) Average sized.
(b) Slightly larger than normal.
(c) Unusually small.
(d) Unusually large.
7. How did Twain describe Captain Mitchell in chapter 15?
(a) Selfless, patient, and steadfast.
(b) Selfless and steadfast.
(c) Patient and steadfast.
(d) Selfless and patient.
8. Which part of Dr. Hutchinson's house did Twain watch the final performances of the ceremonies for the princess?
(a) The dining room window.
(b) The guest room window.
(c) The veranda.
(d) The roof.
9. What was the site of Captain Cook's murder?
(a) Hamakua Coast.
(b) Punaluu Beach.
(c) Kealakekua Bay.
(d) Waimanu Valley.
10. What prediction did Twain make at the end of chapter 23?
(a) Chinese labor will revolutionize California industry.
(b) Chinese labor will ruin California industry.
(c) Hawaiian sugar products will never outsell American sugar products.
(d) Hawaiian sugar products will outsell American sugar products in one year.
11. How high were the walls of the crater estimated to be by Twain in chapter 25?
(a) Over six hundred feet.
(b) Over eight hundred feet.
(c) Less than two hundred feet.
(d) Less than four hundred feet.
12. What was introduced to cause Hawaii's sugar production to increase dramatically?
(a) Humic Acid.
(b) Bat guano.
13. Why did Hawaii cede the islands to Paulet after his demands were made?
(a) The Hawaiian government was too weak.
(b) The natives wanted to keep Paulet in Hawaii.
(c) There was no Hawaiian government to combat the demands.
(d) The natives were afraid of Paulet.
14. What is the name of the small schooner that Twain took to visit Hawaii in chapter 18?
15. How was Twain's sugar production of Hawaii broken down in chapter 23?
(a) By use.
(b) By product sales.
(c) By region.
(d) By time of year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the crew of the burned Hornet eat once the rations of food ran out?
2. Which fruit's quality surprised Twain in Kona in chapter 19?
3. Which word best represents Twain's opinion of the hula dance that was performed at the funeral rite for the princess?
4. Where did Twain and Mr. Brown find the skeletal remains in chapter 24?
5. How many feet above the valley was the lava that the tooth was found in by the general?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)