|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mr. Brown's reaction to the ceremony as Twain wrote his letter in chapter 16?
(a) He only liked the beginning of it.
(b) He liked it.
(c) He was critical of it.
(d) He only liked the ending of it.
2. How did the captain of the schooner respond to Twain's constant complaints during the voyage in chapter 18?
(a) He was patient and agreeable.
(b) He was patient, but disagreeable.
(c) He was impatient and disagreeable.
(d) He was impatient, but agreeable.
3. What made up the waterfall that Twain observed in the city of refuge in chapter 22?
4. How long had the Kona volcano been dormant when Twain visited it in chapter 19?
(a) Two lifetimes.
(b) More than two lifetimes.
(c) More than a lifetime.
(d) A lifetime.
5. Which food was Twain fed on the schooner during his trip to Hawaii in chapter 18?
(a) Stewed chicken.
(b) Fried chicken.
(d) Beef stew.
6. What happened when Twain initially tried to envision the vicious murder of Captain Cook?
(a) He was able to imagine most of it.
(b) He was able to imagine some of it.
(c) He was able to imagine a little of it.
(d) He was unable to imagine it.
7. Why did Hawaii cede the islands to Paulet after his demands were made?
(a) There was no Hawaiian government to combat the demands.
(b) The Hawaiian government was too weak.
(c) The natives were afraid of Paulet.
(d) The natives wanted to keep Paulet in Hawaii.
8. How were the efforts of Twain and Mr. Brown to collect coconuts described in chapter 20?
9. What were the women that Twain saw by the temple wearing in chapter 21?
(b) Beads and skirts.
10. Included in the postscript of chapter 17, how did General Van Valkenburgh find a human tooth in a wall of lava?
(a) By punching the wall of lava.
(b) After a rainstorm loosened the lava.
(c) By chipping the lava with a hammer.
(d) After an avalanche.
11. Which one of the following describes Paulet's demands on Hawaii after hearing Charlton's story?
12. Which fruit's quality surprised Twain in Kona in chapter 19?
13. Where did Twain and Mr. Brown find the skeletal remains in chapter 24?
(a) In a pit.
(b) Inside of a tree bark.
(c) In the side of a bluff.
(d) In the river.
14. What critters prevented Twain from getting any sleep on his trip to Hawaii in chapter 18?
(a) Bugs and snakes.
(b) Rats and snakes.
(c) Bugs, rats, and snakes.
(d) Bugs and rats.
15. What gift did a native bring to the captain of the Emeline by canoe in chapter 24?
(a) Three pigs.
(b) Half a dozen chickens.
(c) Half a dozen roosters.
(d) Three coconuts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the provisions divided amongst the crew after the Hornet was burned?
2. What did Twain do before returning the remains to their resting place in chapter 24?
3. What was Twain's opinion of the hotel that was located near the crater in chapter 25?
4. What did a dozen women begin doing as the rite for the princess started?
5. What did the crew of the Hornet use for a water supply for the first two weeks they were at sea?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)