|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How high were the walls of the crater estimated to be by Twain in chapter 25?
(a) Over eight hundred feet.
(b) Less than two hundred feet.
(c) Over six hundred feet.
(d) Less than four hundred feet.
2. What was introduced to cause Hawaii's sugar production to increase dramatically?
(b) Bat guano.
(d) Humic Acid.
3. How did Captain Mitchell attempt to raise his crew's spirits during the ordeal of being lost at sea?
(a) With music.
(b) With humor.
(c) By telling stories.
(d) By playing games.
4. What was the amount of debt that Charlton was successfully sued for in Hawaiian courts?
(a) Three thousand pounds.
(b) Three thousand and five hundred pounds.
(c) Two thousand and five hundred pounds.
(d) Two thousand pounds.
5. How long was the crater that Twain saw in chapter 25?
(a) About four miles across.
(b) About two miles across.
(c) About one mile across.
(d) About three miles across.
6. Based on the information Twain provided in chapter 19, which Roman town left their remains buried in hardened lava?
7. What prediction did Twain make at the end of chapter 23?
(a) Hawaiian sugar products will never outsell American sugar products.
(b) Chinese labor will ruin California industry.
(c) Chinese labor will revolutionize California industry.
(d) Hawaiian sugar products will outsell American sugar products in one year.
8. What transformed the volcano's appearance in chapter 25?
(a) The absence of the moon.
(b) The presence of the sun.
(c) The presence of the moon.
(d) The absence of the sun.
9. How long had the Kona volcano been dormant when Twain visited it in chapter 19?
(a) More than a lifetime.
(b) More than two lifetimes.
(c) A lifetime.
(d) Two lifetimes.
10. What critters prevented Twain from getting any sleep on his trip to Hawaii in chapter 18?
(a) Rats and snakes.
(b) Bugs and snakes.
(c) Bugs, rats, and snakes.
(d) Bugs and rats.
11. What did the crew of the Hornet use for a water supply for the first two weeks they were at sea?
(a) The ocean.
(b) They had no water supply.
(d) Fresh water from their containers.
12. When was the Hornet last seen by the Prussian bark?
(a) March 15.
(b) January 21.
(c) February 17.
(d) April 12.
13. What cargo was aboard the Hornet when it first departed?
(a) Kerosene and iron.
(b) Kerosene and three engines.
(c) Kerosene, iron, and three engines.
(d) Iron and three engines.
14. What language were the Christian hymns sung in at the rite for the princess?
(a) A mixture of Hawaiian and English.
(c) An unknown language.
(d) Native Hawaiian.
15. What extra food did the captain make for Twain during his trip to Hawaii in chapter 18?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following describes Paulet's demands on Hawaii after hearing Charlton's story?
2. How did the captain of the schooner respond to Twain's constant complaints during the voyage in chapter 18?
3. Why did Hawaii cede the islands to Paulet after his demands were made?
4. What state did the Hornet leave on January 15?
5. What gift did a native bring to the captain of the Emeline by canoe in chapter 24?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)