|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following was not included in Twain's description of Queen Victoria in chapter 14?
(a) She was an accomplished musician.
(b) She was educated.
(c) She was a friend to the Royal Hawaiian Church.
(d) She was impulsive.
2. What did Twain wonder about the ministers of the Hawaiian legislature in chapter 13?
(a) Why they never presented themselves in a clear manner.
(b) Why they seemed to deliver misinformtaion.
(c) Why they never accused each other of corruption.
(d) Why they were not expected to follow the same laws as the citizens.
3. What type of clothing did the women wear at the Saturday market in chapter 8?
4. How long were the remains of Princess Victoria scheduled to lie in state?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Four months.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Four days.
5. Which one of the following is an example of Twain's uncooperative horse's actions in chapter 6?
(a) The horse would not move.
(b) The horse fell asleep.
(c) The horse would only ride in the wrong direction.
(d) The horse ate too much.
6. What other name did Twain use to refer to Brannan's palace?
(a) The shack.
(b) The bungalow.
(c) The cabin.
(d) The hut.
7. Which months of 1866 were Twain's Letters from Hawaii written in?
(a) Between February and September.
(b) Between June and December.
(c) Between March and October.
(d) Between April and November.
8. When did Twain arrive at Hawaii?
(a) Sunday morning.
(b) Saturday morning.
(c) Sunday evening.
(d) Saturday evening.
9. Where was Twain observing the lovely scenery at the beginning of chapter 11?
(a) Nuuanu Valley.
(b) Kaena Point.
(c) Coconut Island.
(d) Hanauma Bay.
10. Which one of the following was not included in Twain's reasoning for why San Francisco should pursue the whaling market in chapter 10?
(a) It had a more stable economy.
(b) It was closer to the whaling lines.
(c) It had the capacity to build more ships.
(d) It could insure sailors directly.
11. Which one of the following is not included in Twain's list of a steamer's benefits in chapter 2?
(a) California could make a profit from trading with Hawaii using steamers.
(b) America could populate Hawaii quickly with steamers.
(c) Steamers could handle the rough seas better than other trade ships.
(d) Steamers were inexpensive to build.
12. As Twain recalls in chapter 1, who boarded the ship in a drunken state?
(a) Twain, but not his fellow passengers.
(b) Neither Twain nor his fellow passengers.
(c) Twain's fellow passengers, but not him.
(d) Twain and his fellow passengers.
13. Why was Twain disgusted by the idea of sharing a meal with anyone in Hawaii?
(a) He preferred to eat alone.
(b) The natives did not look very clean.
(c) He had a large appetite.
(d) The meal portions were very small.
14. What card game did Twain play with the sailors in chapter 2?
(a) Gin rummy.
15. Who did Twain give credit for taming the market?
(a) The church and government.
(b) The government, but not the church.
(c) The church, but not the government.
(d) Neither the church nor the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confession by Twain begins the letter in chapter 3?
2. How many churches did Twain write about in chapter 4?
3. What was the name of the steamer that Twain took to Hawaii?
4. How did Twain react to the American song selections of the Hawaiians?
5. Urging America to develop more steamers in chapter 3, how long did Twain say it would be before China released a smaller steamer?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)