|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What products did Twain consider the profits of in chapter 10?
(a) Oil and whalebone.
(b) Whalebone and whale meat.
(c) Oil, whalebone, and whale meat.
(d) Oil and whale meat.
2. In chapter 5, what categories did Twain put the people on the island into?
(a) Only ship captains, whalers, or part of the government.
(b) Only ship captains or whalers.
(c) Only whalers or missionaries.
(d) Ship captains, missionaries, whalers, or part of the government.
3. What animals were included in the livestock that passengers teased in chapter 2?
(a) A bull, sheep, and a pig.
(b) An ox, chicken, and a pig.
(c) A bull, chicken, and a pig.
(d) An ox, sheep, and a pig.
4. Where was Twain during a lapse in his correspondence, as he explained in chapter 12?
5. According to Twain, how did Hawaiian politics respond to the death of Princess Victoria?
(a) They were in denial.
(b) They were in an uproar.
(c) They were angered.
(d) They were confused.
6. Which explorer gave the Pacific Ocean its name?
7. What other name did Twain use to refer to Brannan's palace?
(a) The shack.
(b) The bungalow.
(c) The hut.
(d) The cabin.
8. Which one of the following was not included in Twain's description of Queen Victoria in chapter 14?
(a) She was impulsive.
(b) She was educated.
(c) She was a friend to the Royal Hawaiian Church.
(d) She was an accomplished musician.
9. How long did it take the steamer to reach Hawaii?
(a) Just over ten days.
(b) Just over two weeks.
(c) Just under ten days.
(d) Just under two weeks.
10. Where was Twain observing the lovely scenery at the beginning of chapter 11?
(a) Kaena Point.
(b) Coconut Island.
(c) Nuuanu Valley.
(d) Hanauma Bay.
11. How much regular order of business did Twain write that the Hawaiian legislature seemed to have in chapter 13?
(c) Very little.
(d) A lot.
12. How did Twain compare the government prison he visited to its American counterparts?
(a) It was not as clean.
(b) It was bigger.
(c) It was cleaner.
(d) It was smaller.
13. Which months of 1866 were Twain's Letters from Hawaii written in?
(a) Between February and September.
(b) Between June and December.
(c) Between April and November.
(d) Between March and October.
14. What differences in Honolulu and San Francisco did Twain observe in chapter 4?
(a) Fragrant plants and unpredictable weather.
(b) Fragrant plants, culture, and unpredictable weather.
(c) Fragrant plants and culture.
(d) Unpredictable weather and culture.
15. Which negative aspects of Hawaii did Mr. Brown think that Twain should have mentioned in chapter 4?
(a) Heat and insects.
(b) Heat and rain.
(c) Rain and insects.
(d) Heat, rain, and insects.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Twain ride in a buggy to after staying too long at the government prison in chapter 6?
2. In chapter 3, how much did Twain state that Hawaii paid in customs alone?
3. What was Twain's opinion of the efforts to restore the palace in chapter 11?
4. How long had Twain gone unshaven when he visited a barber in chapter 4?
5. How did Twain describe the past days of whaling?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)