|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Twain disgusted by the idea of sharing a meal with anyone in Hawaii?
(a) The meal portions were very small.
(b) He preferred to eat alone.
(c) He had a large appetite.
(d) The natives did not look very clean.
2. In Twain's opinion, what would have happened to Honolulu without whaling?
(a) He did not give his opinion.
(b) It would have withered away.
(c) It would have been the same.
(d) It would have struggled.
3. What was sung each night for Princess Victoria after she passed away?
(a) A new poem.
(b) A new song.
(c) A new hymn.
(d) A new chant.
4. Which one of the following words was used by Twain to describe Minister Harris?
5. What was Twain's opinion of the efforts to restore the palace in chapter 11?
(a) He thought it should have been done a long time ago.
(b) He thought it could only be done under the right circumstances.
(c) He thought it was a lost cause.
(d) He thought it was a worthwhile cause.
6. What subject did Twain choose to write about instead of Pacific whaling traffic in chapter 9?
(a) The high crime rate in Hawaii.
(b) The natives' lack of education.
(c) The slang and vernacular of island whalers.
(d) The implications of hula dancing.
7. How was Twain's horseback journey described in chapter 7?
(a) Uncomfortable and long.
(b) Short and uncomfortable.
(c) Comfortable, but long.
(d) Short and comfortable.
8. Which one of the following is not included in Twain's list of a steamer's benefits in chapter 2?
(a) California could make a profit from trading with Hawaii using steamers.
(b) Steamers could handle the rough seas better than other trade ships.
(c) America could populate Hawaii quickly with steamers.
(d) Steamers were inexpensive to build.
9. Based on the information provided in chapter 12, how many parts were there to the Hawaiian government?
10. Who did Twain give credit for taming the market?
(a) The government, but not the church.
(b) The church, but not the government.
(c) The church and government.
(d) Neither the church nor the government.
11. What words did Twain use to describe Prince William in chapter 14?
(a) Sensible and a light drinker.
(b) Unassuming and a light drinker.
(c) Sensible, but a heavy drinker.
(d) Unassuming and a heavy drinker.
12. How did Twain characterize his horse in chapter 8?
(a) Much worse.
(b) Slightly worse.
(c) Much better.
(d) Slighlty better.
13. How long was Twain on the island of Hawaii when he wrote the letter in chapter 3?
(a) Two days.
(b) One week.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One month.
14. Which months of 1866 were Twain's Letters from Hawaii written in?
(a) Between June and December.
(b) Between March and October.
(c) Between April and November.
(d) Between February and September.
15. Which one of the following was not included in Twain's reasoning for why San Francisco should pursue the whaling market in chapter 10?
(a) It was closer to the whaling lines.
(b) It had a more stable economy.
(c) It had the capacity to build more ships.
(d) It could insure sailors directly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Twain not enjoy the taste of poi?
2. How did Twain describe the past days of whaling?
3. What differences in Honolulu and San Francisco did Twain observe in chapter 4?
4. What publication did Twain write his Letters from Hawaii for?
5. In chapter 5, what categories did Twain put the people on the island into?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)