|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 16-17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which aspects of the ceremony caused Twain to write about it as a spectacle in chapter 17?
(a) Bright colors, music, and wailing.
(b) Bright colors, music, and crafts.
(c) Music, wailing, and crafts.
(d) Bright colors, music, wailing, and crafts.
2. How did Twain respond to the drum playing that took place for the audience of the ceremony for the princess?
(a) He did not understand it.
(b) He did not appreciate it.
(c) He could not hear it well enough.
(d) He enjoyed it.
3. How long had the princess lain in state when Twain wrote the letter in chapter 16?
(a) Two months.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
4. Following the start of the fire aboard the Hornet, how long did it take for the flames to burn the masts in two and cause them to fall overboard?
(a) Fifteen minutes.
(b) Thirty minutes.
(c) Two hours.
(d) An hour.
5. What does Twain warn about the wash woman's use of rocks?
(a) It can put holes in a shirt.
(b) It can ruin shirt buttons.
(c) It can remove a shirt's collar.
(d) It can discolor a shirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does Twain use to describe the Saturday market in chapter 8?
2. Who did Twain give credit for taming the market?
3. Urging America to develop more steamers in chapter 3, how long did Twain say it would be before China released a smaller steamer?
4. How did Twain respond to Mr. Brown's criticism of his omission of Hawaii's negative aspects?
5. What subject did Twain choose to write about instead of Pacific whaling traffic in chapter 9?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)