|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Noel's epiphany, what had he wanted to study to become?
2. Who is Guy Flamm?
3. According to Noel, what are the four rings of illusion surrounding human conduct?
4. How does Noel come to his most recent conclusion that religion is fantasy?
5. How is the state of Noel's workplace in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has plagued Marjorie during her year-long affair with Noel?
2. Why does Sam Rothmore contact Marjorie in Chapter 28? How does he describe Noel to her at lunch?
3. What epiphany does Noel claim to have had after he left the Seder?
4. Who does Marjorie see Noel with on board the Mauritania?
5. Upon graduating from college, what has Marjorie gained acclaim for, and what prospects does she have?
6. Who does Noel blame for his failure after Princess Jones flopped?
7. Why does Marjorie quit her position at the top summer stock theatre?
8. How does Noel criticize the Broadway play Marjorie has found a part in in Chapter 38? What does Noel believe Marjorie's destiny is?
9. Who does Marsha marry in Chapter 34? What causes her anxiety about her marriage?
10. What does Noel disagree with his boss Sam Rothmore about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Marjorie and Noel. What do they feel about one another? How do they treat one another? What issues arise in their relationship? Are they able to resolve them?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Wouk's use of symbolism in the novel "Marjorie Morningstar." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the principle characters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Marjorie's character growth throughout the novel. How does she compare at the beginning of the novel and the end of the novel? What led to her growth as a character?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)