|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marjorie see after leaving the hairdresser in Chapter 32?
2. Who proposes to Marjorie in Chapter 40?
3. What does Marjorie admit to Marsha about Noel at her graduation?
4. How does Marjorie feel when Noel does not phone her for three days in Chapter 28?
5. Who is Guy Flamm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Guy Flamm offer Marjorie in his play? What does Marjorie think of Flamm's play?
2. Who does Marsha marry in Chapter 34? What causes her anxiety about her marriage?
3. In Chapter 30, what does Noel describe as the force that moves people in the world?
4. After working at the advertising agency for a year, what does Noel decide to do with his savings?
5. Why does Marjorie quit her position at the top summer stock theatre?
6. What epiphany does Noel claim to have had after he left the Seder?
7. Who does Marjorie find at Noel's apartment in Chapter 28? Why does she become upset?
8. What is Guy Flamm's real reason for offering Marjorie a part in his play?
9. What has plagued Marjorie during her year-long affair with Noel?
10. How does Noel criticize the Broadway play Marjorie has found a part in in Chapter 38? What does Noel believe Marjorie's destiny is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. What are their defining character traits? What are their roles in the story? Describe their relationships with the protagonist, Marjorie.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Wouk's use of irony. What are the different types of irony? Are there examples of each type in the novel? What are some examples of irony in the novel? What do these examples mean?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel "Marjorie Morningstar," the first half of the 20th century. How does the setting impact Marjorie's choices and actions in the novel? What historical events take place throughout the novel? Do these historical events affect Marjorie's life?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)