|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George ask Marjorie to do which she refuses?
2. Which character has a somewhat withered arm?
3. Why does Marjorie decide to accept her parents bribe?
4. What is the generic name Noel has given to West Side girls?
5. What bribe do Marjorie's parents offer her upon their arrival at South Wind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marjorie struggling with at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What does Marsha tell Marjorie about the counselors at Camp Tamarack?
3. What does Wally Wronken want to do at South Wind?
4. Who does Marjorie's mother send to South Wind to keep an eye on her?
5. Where does Marjorie's mother arrange to stay in Chapter 4? Why?
6. Before having an epiphany, what had Marjorie planned to do as a career?
7. Who is Sandy Goldstone? How does Marjorie know Sandy?
8. How does Noel describe West Side girls?
9. What is one reason Marjorie refuses George's marriage proposal?
10. How does Marjorie go up in the esteem of her classmates in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Wouk's use of irony. What are the different types of irony? Are there examples of each type in the novel? What are some examples of irony in the novel? What do these examples mean?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel "Marjorie Morningstar," the first half of the 20th century. How does the setting impact Marjorie's choices and actions in the novel? What historical events take place throughout the novel? Do these historical events affect Marjorie's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the religious motif in the novel "Marjorie Morningstar". What is Marjorie's religion? Is she a religious person? How does her religious background influence her life?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)