|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marjorie secure a higher status among her classmates?
2. What stops Marjorie from losing her virginity in Part 3?
3. What kind of school does Marjorie attend in Chapter 1?
4. What is the name of the resort Marjorie visits in Chapter 4?
5. What is Sandy's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Noel describe West Side girls?
2. What does Marjorie learn about Noel Airman when she sees him at Wally's show at the Waldorf?
3. What happens when Marjorie is thrown from the horse she is riding in Chapter 2?
4. What does Marjorie believe the South Wind staff would be shocked to learn about her relationship with Noel?
5. Where and why does Marjorie decide to change her career plans in Chapter 1? What is her new chosen career?
6. How does Marjorie go up in the esteem of her classmates in Chapter 5?
7. What does Marjorie do in Chapter 12 to help her land roles in the productions at South Wind?
8. Why does George decline Marjorie's invitation to her brother's Bar Mitzvah?
9. Who does Marjorie's mother send to South Wind to keep an eye on her?
10. Describe Marjorie at the beginning of the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mike Eden and how does this character impact Marjorie's life? What does Marjorie learn about herself and others after meeting Eden? How does he compare to Noel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Marjorie Morningstar," Herman Wouk. What others works did he write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Wouk's other work? How is he regarded in the literary world?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Wouk's use of symbolism in the novel "Marjorie Morningstar." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent? How do the examples of symbolism relate to the principle characters?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)