|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Noel read after his epiphany?
(a) The Old Testament.
(b) The Book of the Dead.
(c) The Bhagavad Gita.
(d) Confucian texts.
2. How does Marjorie feel when Noel does not phone her for three days in Chapter 28?
3. What does Sam think of Noel's work ethic?
(a) Noel has a keen eye for business.
(b) He is an excellent employee and Sam is lucky to have him.
(c) He is lacking responsibility and is begging to be fired.
(d) Noel is lacking direction.
4. Who is Imogene?
(a) An old friend of Noel.
(b) Marjorie's neighbor.
(c) Noel's co-worker.
(d) Noel's cousin.
5. Who does Marjorie meet at the El Dorado in Chapter 34?
(a) Mark Strauss.
(b) Merton Segal.
(c) Marvin Spitzer.
(d) Milton Schwartz.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Noel come to his most recent conclusion that religion is fantasy?
2. How does Flamm react to Marjorie's acting abilities?
3. Who is Guy Flamm?
4. What does Noel believe Marjorie's destiny to be?
5. Why does Marjorie pin all her hopes on a reconciliation with Noel in Chapter 40?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Noel disagree with his boss Sam Rothmore about?
2. What does Mike Eden tell Marjorie when he takes her out onto the lake in Chapter 44?
3. Who does Marjorie see Noel with on board the Mauritania?
4. Why does Marjorie quit her position at the top summer stock theatre?
5. Why does Sam Rothmore contact Marjorie in Chapter 28? How does he describe Noel to her at lunch?
6. After working at the advertising agency for a year, what does Noel decide to do with his savings?
7. What role does Guy Flamm offer Marjorie in his play? What does Marjorie think of Flamm's play?
8. Where does Noel find a job in Chapter 23? What does he hope the job will allow him to do?
9. What is Guy Flamm's real reason for offering Marjorie a part in his play?
10. What has plagued Marjorie during her year-long affair with Noel?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)