|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had Mike Eden met Noel?
(a) In Spain.
(b) In Tokyo.
(c) In Florence.
(d) In Paris.
2. How does Marjorie feel when Noel does not phone her for three days in Chapter 28?
3. What book does Noel read after his epiphany?
(a) The Old Testament.
(b) The Book of the Dead.
(c) Confucian texts.
(d) The Bhagavad Gita.
4. According to Sam, what does Noel have a talent for?
(a) Manipulating people into doing what he wants them to.
(b) Rewriting badly written papers.
(c) Casting the right person for a role.
(d) Identifying good scripts.
5. What does Noel's epiphany at the Seder lead him to do?
(a) Cut off his hair.
(b) Join a religious club.
(c) Study Judaism.
(d) Propose to Marjorie.
6. After Noel's epiphany, what had he wanted to study to become?
(a) An imam.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) A monk.
(d) A priest.
7. What does Marjorie admit to Marsha about Noel at her graduation?
(a) She has yet to be attracted to someone as she was with Noel at South Wind.
(b) Noel used to become enraged when he drank.
(c) She is still in love with Noel and is considering getting back together with him.
(d) Noel has been calling her house incessantly for the past month.
8. What role does Flamm offer Marjorie in Chapter 22?
(a) A role as an understudy.
(b) A lead in a melodrama.
(c) A secondary role in a comedy.
(d) A small, but important, role.
9. Where does Noel invite Marjorie in Chapter 22?
(a) Central Park.
(b) In a music shop.
(c) Empire State Building.
(d) The Ritz-Carleton.
10. According to Noel, who is he bunking with in Chapter 28?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) A male artist upstairs.
(c) His parents.
(d) A fellow law school dropout.
11. What does Noel blame Marjorie for in Chapter 38?
(a) His loneliness and frustration.
(b) His current state of desolation and failure.
(c) His lack of direction.
(d) His current financial situation.
12. Where does Noel secure a job in Chapter 23?
(a) Vanity Fair.
(b) Paramount Pictures.
(c) On Broadway.
(d) An advertising agency.
13. How many years does Noel plan to study for?
14. What does Marjorie notice about Noel's behavior at her graduation?
(a) He is much more subdued.
(b) He is nervous around her.
(c) He is more positive than he used to be.
(d) He is extremely hyper active.
15. What does Noel believe Marjorie's destiny to be?
(a) To fail at everything she tries.
(b) To help the needy.
(c) To marry a respectable man and raise their children.
(d) To become a world-famous actress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of a writer, what has Noel decided he is in Chapter 38?
2. Who proposes to Marjorie in Chapter 40?
3. How did Noel's show do, as noted in Chapter 38?
4. Why does Marjorie pin all her hopes on a reconciliation with Noel in Chapter 40?
5. Who does Marsha marry in Chapter 34?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)