|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Noel become uncomfortable in Chapter 27?
(a) Because Marjorie's family hint at marriage.
(b) Because he has nothing in common with Marjorie's family.
(c) Because he ate something which had gone off.
(d) Because he drank too much and is feeling nauseous.
2. Who does Marjorie see after leaving the hairdresser in Chapter 32?
(d) Dr. Shapiro.
3. Who does Noel lose a radio script writing position to in Chapter 38?
4. Who writes a letter of introduction for Marjorie in Chapter 22?
(a) Her piano teacher.
(b) Her singing coach.
(c) Her drama instructor.
(d) Her writing tutor.
5. Why is Marjorie cut from the production in Chapter 39?
(a) She is too demanding on set.
(b) Her part is written out of the script.
(c) She is continually absent or late.
(d) For budget reasons, and she does not look the part.
6. Who is Mike Eden?
(a) A popular singer who shows interest in Marjorie.
(b) Noel's best friend.
(c) A fellow passenger on the ship to Paris.
(d) Marjorie's first love.
7. Where is Noel going to study in Chapter 38?
(c) The Sorbonne and perhaps Oxford.
(d) Harvard, specifically Harvard Law School.
8. What does Marjorie notice about Marsha's appearance at her graduation?
(a) Marsha is weak.
(b) Marsha is bigger.
(c) Marsha is sunburned.
(d) Marsha is thinner.
9. Who does Marjorie date after breaking it off with Noel in Chapter 31?
(a) Dr. Solomon Shapiro.
(b) Dr. James Shapiro.
(c) Dr. Morris Shapiro.
(d) Dr. Jonas Shapiro.
10. According to Noel, who is he bunking with in Chapter 28?
(a) A fellow law school dropout.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His parents.
(d) A male artist upstairs.
11. What is the name of the play Marjorie is involved with in Chapter 39?
(a) The Long Year.
(b) The Good Year.
(c) The Bad Year.
(d) The Short Year.
12. What does Noel blame Marjorie for in Chapter 38?
(a) His current financial situation.
(b) His loneliness and frustration.
(c) His current state of desolation and failure.
(d) His lack of direction.
13. From what stage production does Marjorie gain acclaim in Chapter 21?
(a) An American in Paris.
(c) The Cat and the Fiddle.
(d) Show Boat.
14. What invitation is given to Noel by the Morgenstern's in Chapter 27?
(a) An invitation to attend Seder services.
(b) An invitation to a banquet honoring Marjorie's father.
(c) An invitation to a Bar Mitzva.
(d) An invitation to Marjorie's cousin's wedding.
15. What does Marjorie learn about Noel's health in Chapter 40?
(a) His years of smoking and alcohol abuse has caught up with him.
(b) He broke his leg while running after a taxi.
(c) He contracted a type of fever in North Africa.
(d) He spent the last two weeks in bed with chicken pox.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Noel read after his epiphany?
2. What is the name of the ship Marjorie takes in Chapter 40?
3. Who is Imogene?
4. What were Marjorie's nightmares during her affair with Noel about?
5. What role does Flamm offer Marjorie in Chapter 22?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)