|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sam Rothmore?
(a) Noel's roomate.
(b) Noel's assistant.
(c) Noel's boss.
(d) Noel's co-worker.
2. Who does Marjorie meet at the El Dorado in Chapter 34?
(a) Merton Segal.
(b) Milton Schwartz.
(c) Marvin Spitzer.
(d) Mark Strauss.
3. What does Noel believe Marjorie's destiny to be?
(a) To marry a respectable man and raise their children.
(b) To become a world-famous actress.
(c) To help the needy.
(d) To fail at everything she tries.
4. How does Noel come to his most recent conclusion that religion is fantasy?
(a) A conversation with Imogene.
(b) A night of heavy drug use.
(c) A recent visit to a synagogue.
(d) A dream about heaven and hell.
5. From what stage production does Marjorie gain acclaim in Chapter 21?
(a) An American in Paris.
(b) Show Boat.
(d) The Cat and the Fiddle.
6. How did Noel's show do, as noted in Chapter 38?
(a) It had a lukewarm reception.
(b) It did well but Noel grew bored of it and closed it down.
(c) It was a complete failure and closed after five days.
(d) It was a huge success.
7. According to Noel, what are the four rings of illusion surrounding human conduct?
(a) Sight, smell, touch and sound.
(b) Love, lust, greed and envy.
(c) Color, space, time and memory.
(d) Religion, philosophy, sex and money.
8. Instead of a writer, what has Noel decided he is in Chapter 38?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) An architect.
(c) A sculptor.
(d) A philosopher.
9. What is the name of the ship Marjorie takes in Chapter 40?
(a) The Queen Mary.
(b) The Queen Victoria.
(c) The Queen Margaret.
(d) The Queen Eleanor.
10. How is Guy's office described in Chapter 22?
(a) As spacious.
(b) As cozy.
(c) As rundown.
(d) As modern.
11. What is Imogene trying to find work as in Chapter 28?
(a) A model.
(b) A singer.
(c) A dancer.
(d) An actress.
12. How does Flamm react to Marjorie's acting abilities?
(a) He is disappointed.
(b) He is shocked.
(c) He is impressed.
(d) He is underwhelmed.
13. Who does Noel lose a radio script writing position to in Chapter 38?
14. How does Marjorie feel when Noel does not phone her for three days in Chapter 28?
15. What does Sam think of Noel's work ethic?
(a) Noel has a keen eye for business.
(b) He is lacking responsibility and is begging to be fired.
(c) He is an excellent employee and Sam is lucky to have him.
(d) Noel is lacking direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the play Marjorie is involved with in Chapter 39?
2. What book does Noel read after his epiphany?
3. After Noel's epiphany, what had he wanted to study to become?
4. How is the state of Noel's workplace in Chapter 28?
5. What is the party in Chapter 32 celebrating?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)