|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the mantra "Long live the King!" amended when Louis XVI returned to the throne?
2. How many years after Antoinette's execution did Fersen die?
3. Who did the young dauphin cry out for at night while in prison?
4. According to the text, who spent the majority of the money in France, leading to the desperate economy?
5. Which of the following adjectives was NOT used to describe Antoinette's behavior during her execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Antoinette nicknamed "Madame Excess"?
2. What crime was Antoinette convicted of during her trial?
3. How did the young dauphin die?
4. When was Antoinette's second son born, and what was the reaction to his birth?
5. What was Antoinette's final request to her children in the days before her execution?
6. What was life like for Antoinette in the first few months of her imprisonment?
7. How did Antoinette's brother, Leopold, react to the news that Antoinette and her family were imprisoned?
8. What was the reaction from the people when Louis XVI was executed?
9. How did the introduction of the new constitution change life for Louis XVI and his family?
10. What political conflict continued between the two major political parties after Louis XVI's execution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is noted in the text that the French who decide that Antoinette was to be executed held her in disregard at least partly because of their attitudes toward women in general. First, describe how women were generally treated during this time in French history. Then, compare / contrast the role of women during the French revolution with their treatment by society. Finally, explain whether or not you believe Antoinette's trial and execution would have been different had she been a man. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Although marriage was something highly prized in the European courts, infidelity and affairs were commonplace occurrences, particularly with men who took many lovers. First, describe Marie Antoinette's initial reaction to the courtesans present in the French court. What was her response to the news that her husband, Louis XVI, had taken additional lovers? Why was it considered acceptable for a man to have additional lovers while his wife could not? What dangers were present for a queen when her husband took lovers? How did Marie Antoinette avoid these fates during her reign? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, there are many instances of shocking death, often brought about by illness, that deeply affected Antoinette's life. Choose two examples of shocking deaths in the book and explain how these deaths came about. Then, describe how these deaths impacted Antoinette, both in her personal and political life. Then, explain whether or not you think these deaths could have been avoided, and how. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)