|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sophie die?
2. Who did Antoinette regularly write letters to during the upheaval in France?
3. What disease did the young dauphin likely suffer from?
4. How old was Marie Therese when she died?
5. Why wouldn't Antoinette's brother help his sister and her family out of exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Antoinette's brother, Leopold, react to the news that Antoinette and her family were imprisoned?
2. What political conflict continued between the two major political parties after Louis XVI's execution?
3. How did Antoinette change in the year of her thirtieth birthday?
4. How did the young dauphin die?
5. Why was Marie Antoinette's trial and execution considered to be a historic event?
6. What was the reaction from the public when they heard that Louis XVI had returned to the throne?
7. How did Sophie die?
8. What evidence was brought against Antoinette during her trial?
9. How was Antoinette recaptured during her one escape attempt from imprisonment?
10. What controversial decision did the Pope make after Louis XVI's death, and how was it received by the public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of their hatred for the French government, mobs of people took to the streets murdering hundreds of people. First, describe why the French people were so angry with the government. Then, describe which people were typically targeted for death by the angry mobs. How were these people usually killed? Then, describe Antoinette's reaction to the random deaths of people throughout France at the hands of the angry mob. How did these deaths compare / contrast to the formal executions at the time? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
During the French revolution, Marie Antoinette and her family were held in exile in the towers. First, describe what life was like for the royal family in exile. How did life in exile affect the adults? How did it affect the children? Based on the information in the text, which member of royal family had the toughest time dealing with life in exile? How can you tell? How did life in exile alter this person's outlook on life? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Before Marie Antoinette left her family to move to France, her mother created a long list of rules for her to abide by while living in France. First, list at least five of the rules Maria Teresa expected Marie Antoinette to live by and describe Marie Antoinette's reaction to these rules. Then, describe how Teresa's list of rules affected Marie Antoinette when she arrived in France. Did she actually abide by the rules or did she dismiss them? To what effect? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)