|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname was the young dauphin given by those in favor of keeping the monarchy?
2. According to the text, who spent the majority of the money in France, leading to the desperate economy?
3. What was Antoinette's reaction to the news that nobility were being slaughtered all over the country?
4. How was the Pope's decision to call Louis' death a martyrdom received by the French people?
5. Where did Louis' aunts escape to during their time in exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reaction from the public when they heard that Louis XVI had returned to the throne?
2. What was the reaction from the people when Louis XVI was executed?
3. According to Antoinette, which of her family members was in the most danger at the time of their imprisonment?
4. What happened to Marie Therese after her mother's death?
5. What political conflict continued between the two major political parties after Louis XVI's execution?
6. How did Antoinette's brother, Leopold, react to the news that Antoinette and her family were imprisoned?
7. When was Antoinette's second son born, and what was the reaction to his birth?
8. Why was a cardinal arrested soon after the birth of Antoinette's second son?
9. What controversial decision did the Pope make after Louis XVI's death, and how was it received by the public?
10. What evidence was brought against Antoinette during her trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the first changes made during the French Revolution was to overthrow the monarchy. First, describe why the French people were so disgusted with their king, Louis XVI. Do you think Louis XVI was a scapegoat for the frustration of the French people, or did his actions as king warrant his overthrowing? Then, describe how the French people managed to overthrow their king, and what effect this bold move had on the country's politics. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Through the first eight years of Antoinette's marriage, the entire country of France eagerly awaited the birth of the heir to the throne. Finally, the much awaited dauphin was finally born. First, describe Antoinette's journey as a queen leading up to the birth of her first son, the dauphin. Then, describe the dauphin as a child. What illness plagued him through his childhood? Based on his representation in the book, do you think the dauphin would have made a good king, had he lived long enough to take the throne? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Because of their hatred for the French government, mobs of people took to the streets murdering hundreds of people. First, describe why the French people were so angry with the government. Then, describe which people were typically targeted for death by the angry mobs. How were these people usually killed? Then, describe Antoinette's reaction to the random deaths of people throughout France at the hands of the angry mob. How did these deaths compare / contrast to the formal executions at the time? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)