|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Louis react to the rumors that he had not fathered the dauphin?
2. What formal crime was Antoinette on trial for?
3. How old was Sophie when she died?
4. What was the reaction from the crowd that gathered to watch Louis' execution?
5. What type of prisoners were held in "The Conciergerie"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Antoinette's final request to her children in the days before her execution?
2. What crime was Antoinette convicted of during her trial?
3. How did the young dauphin die?
4. What was the reaction from the people when Louis XVI was executed?
5. When was Antoinette's second son born, and what was the reaction to his birth?
6. According to Antoinette, which of her family members was in the most danger at the time of their imprisonment?
7. How was Antoinette recaptured during her one escape attempt from imprisonment?
8. What was the reaction from the public when they heard that Louis XVI had returned to the throne?
9. What was Antoinette's initial reaction to the news that she and her family would be relocated to Tuilieres?
10. How did Antoinette's brother, Leopold, react to the news that Antoinette and her family were imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shortly after Louis XVI was executed, Marie Antoinette was put on trial for similar crimes. First, create a brief time line of the events surrounding Marie Antoinette's trial and execution. Then, explain how the courts found and present their evidence against Antoinette and what Antoinette's reaction to the evidence was. Then, explain why Antoinette's trial and execution were historical landmarks and how her execution changed history. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Long after Marie Antoinette's death, rumors and conspiracy theories continued to swirl, particularly about Antoinette's two children, Marie Therese and Louis Charles. First, choose one conspiracy theory or rumor about each of these two children and describe it here. Then, explain how scientists continue to work on these theories today, either proving them true or false. Finally, explain how Marie Antoinette's legacy would change if ONE of these rumors was proved to be true. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Because of their hatred for the French government, mobs of people took to the streets murdering hundreds of people. First, describe why the French people were so angry with the government. Then, describe which people were typically targeted for death by the angry mobs. How were these people usually killed? Then, describe Antoinette's reaction to the random deaths of people throughout France at the hands of the angry mob. How did these deaths compare / contrast to the formal executions at the time? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)