|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the purpose of the attack on the castle which forced many nobles to flee their home?
2. What color dress did Antoinette wear on her execution day?
3. Who was Antoinette's second son given to immediately after his birth?
4. Which of Antoinette's brothers died while she was in exile?
5. In what year was Antoinette executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the introduction of the new constitution change life for Louis XVI and his family?
2. Why didn't Marie Antoinette ever escape life in exile when she was given the opportunity?
3. How did Sophie die?
4. Why didn't Antoinette want to purchase the elaborate diamond necklace brought to her by the jewelry hawker?
5. Why was Antoinette nicknamed "Madame Excess"?
6. Why did Antoinette find it immediately necessary to produce a second heir to the throne?
7. According to Antoinette, which of her family members was in the most danger at the time of their imprisonment?
8. How did the young dauphin die?
9. How did Louis Charles adjust to life in exile?
10. What controversial decision did the Pope make after Louis XVI's death, and how was it received by the public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Almost immediately after Antoinette rose to the French throne, the French economy took a huge hit leaving thousands of peasants destitute. First, describe how the French economy plummeted during Antoinette's rule and how that economic downturn affected Antoinette's popularity in France. Then, describe how Antoinette and Louis handled the regular uprisings from the French people that demanded change in power and economy. In your opinion, do you think Louis and Antoinette handled this problem well? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, there are many instances of shocking death, often brought about by illness, that deeply affected Antoinette's life. Choose two examples of shocking deaths in the book and explain how these deaths came about. Then, describe how these deaths impacted Antoinette, both in her personal and political life. Then, explain whether or not you think these deaths could have been avoided, and how. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Most of the marriages in the mid to late 18th century were arranged marriages. First, describe Maria Teresa's plan for her children's marriages even from their birth. Were all of Maria Teresa's plans successful? Why or why not? Then, explain how Maria Teresa and Stephen were the first marriage models for their fifteen children, and describe how that model affected Marie Antoinette and her siblings' views of marriage. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)