|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Antoinette's friends was rumored to be the father of her children?
2. What was the name of the palace where Antoinette and Louis were held during their exile?
3. Which of the following item carriage items broke, slowing down Antoinette's escape from exile?
4. How was Louis executed?
5. How was the Pope's decision to call Louis' death a martyrdom received by the French people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Antoinette recaptured during her one escape attempt from imprisonment?
2. How did Sophie die?
3. How did the world react to the birth of the new dauphin, Louis Joseph?
4. How did the introduction of the new constitution change life for Louis XVI and his family?
5. Where did the royal family go on their first vacation outside of their imprisonment?
6. Why didn't Antoinette want to purchase the elaborate diamond necklace brought to her by the jewelry hawker?
7. What was Antoinette's final request to her children in the days before her execution?
8. What was life like for Antoinette in the first few months of her imprisonment?
9. How did the angry mobs take out their anger on the noblemen across the country?
10. What controversial decision did the Pope make after Louis XVI's death, and how was it received by the public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Antoinette's time in exile, there were many plans created by her friends and family to help her escape. First, describe the reaction from Antoinette's friends and family to the news of her imprisonment and exile in the towers. Then, describe the one escape plan that actually came into fruition. Why did this plan inevitably fail? Then, explain why Antoinette refused to attempt escape in the years after the first failed attempt. What did Antoinette think she could accomplish by staying in exile? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Upon relocating to France, Marie Antoinette struggled to consummate her marriage to Louis XVI. First, describe the reasons why Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI were hesitant to consummate their marriage. What was the reaction from the court to the news that the marriage had not yet been consummated? What rumors swirled about the couple and their romantic life together? Then, describe how Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI eventually overcame their hesitation, and what legacy they left for their continued family after their deaths. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen their arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Most of the marriages in the mid to late 18th century were arranged marriages. First, describe Maria Teresa's plan for her children's marriages even from their birth. Were all of Maria Teresa's plans successful? Why or why not? Then, explain how Maria Teresa and Stephen were the first marriage models for their fifteen children, and describe how that model affected Marie Antoinette and her siblings' views of marriage. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)