|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In terms of biology, what is meant by freedom?
2. What was one thing Montessori would telling her international training courses about teaching?
3. In "Size, Movement, Instinct, Reason," what does the author suggest about the development of a child when they are first born?
4. What did Montessori suggest may occur if a child is exposed to imaginary things to early in life?
5. At what age do many educational professional (non Montessori) feel children should learn how to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Montessori, a perfectly prepared environment includes what type of information?
2. What does Standing mean by the term Inner Command?
3. According to Standing, what was Montessroi's view on the nature of play?
4. According to Montessori, how can the struggle between the adult and the child end?
5. How did Montessori suggest one corrects deviations in learning and development?
6. In "The Fundamental Problem & Prepared Environment," what ways do children right oppression?
7. What is the significance of the physical aspects of the Montessori classroom?
8. What are the possibilities of an individual who is a slave or who has limited freedom?
9. In "The Fundamental Problem & Prepared Environment," what are the parts of a prepared environment?
10. According to Standing, what was the main premise of Froebel's teaching method?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Standing, what is the general view of Montessori schools today? What type of challenges do you think these schools continue to face?
Essay Topic 2
The Montessori method gained much popularity throughout the world. Despite this popularity, Montessori schools and methods are not the common method for teaching. Why do you think this is the case? What factors have and continue to play a role in determining the reach of the Montessori method? Use information from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the discovery that occurs in children during learning and the effects this discovery has on their development. Consider factors discussed in the book such as how they made the discovery, on their own or with help, how long it took to make the discovery, and a child's interest in making the discovery.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)