|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Size, Movement, Instinct, Reason," according to Standing, what is the first act of a man's life?
2. According to Montessori, what sets the tune of development and the creation of self?
3. What was the first thing that Montessori requires of a Montessori Directress?
4. In "Montessori & Froebel," what does Standing conclude is one common view held by both Froebelians and Montessori?
5. What are the material called that are used in Montessori's classrooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Standing, what was the main premise of Froebel's teaching method?
2. How did Montessori suggest one corrects deviations in learning and development?
3. What are the possibilities of an individual who is a slave or who has limited freedom?
4. According to Montessori, how can the struggle between the adult and the child end?
5. In "The Fundamental Problem & Prepared Environment," what are the parts of a prepared environment?
6. What are the two factors involved in the success of the prepared environment?
7. According to "Liberty in Education & the Montessori Directress," how is it possible to be independent but not free?
8. What are 3 of the 14 main rules for the teacher in relation to the environment?
9. What are the two distinct stages of learning in a Montessori classroom?
10. Why can it be said that the Montessori method revels the true nature of children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide an opinion on the effectiveness of the Montessori classroom. Do you think students attending a Montessori school are better off and if so in what ways? Use information and examples from the book to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In discussing the work of Montessori, is it mentioned that there was an inexhaustible originality to the work. What does this mean and why does the author suggest this is the case? How does this originality play into the popularity of the teaching method? Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Montessori was a school reformer. How were children treated and what were schools like during her time that would classify her as a reformer? Explain your answer, using information from the book as support.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)