|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Holmes feel about his broken engagement to Margret?
2. What kind of dog does Margret have?
3. Who is engaged to Mr. Holmes?
4. Who is Mr. Pike?
5. How does Margret get to her office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis of Margret's feeling unappreciated?
2. What are the overt and subtle conclusions for the main characters?
3. What element of foreshadowing does the author use in Chapter 2?
4. Describe the scene in which Lois dies.
5. Where does Dr. Knowles take Margret after he finds her sitting against the stone wall on the roadside?
6. Describe the use of symbolism related to New Year's Eve and New Year's.
7. How does Margret treat Mr. Holmes when he shows up at the Howth home on Christmas Eve?
8. What does Lois find odd about Joe's wanting her to go home and what does she do about it?
9. What has prompted Margret to write the story?
10. What surprises Margret when she steps outside for a few minutes before going to bed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author provides the perspective of Margret's view of the world throughout the story. Choose two situations in the book which also involve other characters and create a brief synopsis of how they viewed the same situations.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Dr. Knowles. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the story's title. What did the author mean by calling the story MARGRET HOWTH: A STORY OF TO-DAY? Why didn't she simply call it MARGRET HOWTH? What is the significance of including A STORY OF TO-DAY? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)