|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Margret starts work at the mill on what day?
2. Why does Mr. Holmes leave the mill by an indirect route?
3. Who is in the carriage that passes by Mr. Holmes outside the mill?
4. What is the name of Margret's long lost dog?
5. What book does Margret read?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Lois saves Mr. Holmes?
2. What does the author say as she begins Chapter 11?
3. What surprises Margret when she steps outside for a few minutes before going to bed?
4. What is Margret's demeanor and outlook these days?
5. Describe the scene in which Lois dies.
6. What new arrangements has Mr. Holmes made for his future regarding the mill and marriage?
7. How is Mr. Holmes conflicted in his marriage decision?
8. What is the point of view of the story?
9. How much time passes as Mr. Holmes recovers and who is a constant companion for him?
10. Who does Mr. Holmes encounter when he returns to the mill after speaking to Margret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Margret's story takes place in 1860s rural Indiana. Project Margret's character 150 years into the future. How different would she be if she were a 21st century character living in rural Indiana? What would she be like if she were a 21st century character living in a metropolitan area?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Margret and Miss Herne. Why would Mr. Holmes be attracted to each of them? Why does he make his final decision to marry Margret?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)