|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can Margret's work be best described?
2. Of whom does Tiger remind Margret?
3. What was Mr. Howth's profession?
4. What time of day is it when Chapter 2 begins?
5. Who is Mr. Pike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Joe's crime as he talks to Mr. Holmes?
2. What is Margret's demeanor and outlook these days?
3. How can the character of Lois be compared to the character of Little Eva in UNCLE TOM'S CABIN?
4. How does Margret treat Mr. Holmes when he shows up at the Howth home on Christmas Eve?
5. Describe the scene in which Lois dies.
6. Explain the irony of Mr. Holmes' behavior toward Joe and the ultimate destruction of the mill.
7. What is the basis of Margret's feeling unappreciated?
8. How much time passes as Mr. Holmes recovers and who is a constant companion for him?
9. For what reason does Mr. Holmes leave Miss Herne's carriage on the road?
10. What does the author say as she begins Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of married women in the 1860s. Conversely, what was the normal role of an unmarried woman in the 1860s? What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? Did they enjoy any freedoms that 21st century women do not?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Margret. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)